Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

• 3 months later...

took me forever to resurrect. 

but, I have now bought some eyeshadow for reasons entirely beyond me. The first purchase was Naked2 Basic (which are cool neutrals). It's pretty useful, although I've only just started playing with it. http://www.urbandecay.com/naked-2-basics-palette-by-urban-decay/283.html

Then I bought this eyeshadow set because I clearly need a bunch of plastic lawn glamingos (spelling intentional) in my life: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/13835/39543/Products/Makeup/Eyes/Eye-Palettes-Kits/Eye-Shadow-x-9-Flamingo-Park

Hey, I was just looking at that very same neutral palette.  The ones I have are worn down to metal.  I use them all the time - they're great for mixing up colors for your eyebrows too. 

The second one is a tray I would love to play with.  :love: 

Andplusalso!!!

I think I have found my deal-closer lipstick. (the Deal Closer is a pink that you wear to close all deals.) I haven't quite dialed it in, but my personal Deal Closer is either Colour Pop's Juice Bar, or Lipstick Queen's Natural [Saint]. 

https://colourpop.com/product/juice-bar/

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=97601/by-Poppy--Saint-Natural/Lipstick-Queen/Lipstick

So one of my favourite ASMRtists did a video a few weeks ago and my immediate thought when it started was "omfg I need that lipstick".  Helpfully the video turned out to be a make up one after she'd just been make up shopping, so she said what it was! It's Exorcism from Kat Von D's everlasting liquid lipstick line, which is extra helpful because I'm very much drawn to the long lasting matte liquid lipsticks from a practical perspective, so it's perfect for me.  Facebook has been giving me ads for it ever since, although they only just got it into stock, which has convinced me I also need one of the reds...I'm just not sure which one it is, so I'll need to see in store.  Probably the Nosferatu though.

ETA: My tastes have veered sharply to just saying fuck it, I want to be vampy and enjoy myself and not worry what other people think when it comes to make up of late.

I am very much a fan of wearing this on my eyelids along with some mascara for a simple but bright-eyed look. Another excellent shadow for the same effect is Stila's kitten. My eyesight has deteriorated some (hurray 40's) and my ability to apply eyeliner without glasses is getting harder and harder to do. And putting it on with glasses? Yeah no. 

My warpaint arrived! Even with the slight variations in color from computer screen to actual product, I still love 'em. But what looked to be a light sheen delicate yellow is actually a light sheen barest spring green. I didn't know that I wanted the former in my life until I found out I didn't actually get it, so I'll be doing some random shopping over the next month to see if I can actually find that color.

I also got a creme eyeshadow from MAC in Seafoam. Love it.

Guys I got a new foundation and it's perfect. MAC studio sculpt is just enough coverage and moisture, highly recommend. Also right now MAC has a new rewards program which got me a free full sized eyeshadow (theirs are usually $16) in the first month and free samples every online order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm in a bridal party next week. Our dresses are a lovely dark pewter grey and the accent colour in our bouquets is a deep burgundy. I need a lipstick that will match (though I'm not sure how comfortable I feel wearing something so deep/dark) and not dry out and is friendly to reapplication. I was thinking a red from Lipstick Queen. http://www.lipstickqueen.com/shop/shop-html-lipstick/medieval-1.html

Board beauties, I seek your advice and suggestions!

I have that color. I love it -- it's flattering, it doesn't dry out, it's easy to apply without a mirror, etc. That said, it's quite sheer, so depending on the look you're hoping to achieve, it may or may not be what you need.

If you need something a bit more saturated, but still easy to deal with, try some of the Saint colors from Lipstick Queen. They're also easy to apply and aren't drying. I have "Natural" in that line. And, despite them "only" having low percentage of pigment, it's a lot of color. You do not want the corresponding Sinner line (which are the exact same colors as the Saints, just with way more pigment) because that's the high-maintenance shit.

Anyway, I suggest looking at Rouge, Red, or Wine in the Lipstick Queen Saint line.

On 4/14/2016 at 6:20 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Anyway, I suggest looking at Rouge, Red, or Wine in the Lipstick Queen Saint line.

I went with Rouge. Thanks! 

I was tempted by a Smashbox lipstick called Fig but the matte/stainlike properties scared me away. I did grab a few Ulta lip crayons as well because I can't help myself and they were buy two get two free.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM, kairparavel said:

I am very much a fan of wearing this on my eyelids along with some mascara for a simple but bright-eyed look. Another excellent shadow for the same effect is Stila's kitten. My eyesight has deteriorated some (hurray 40's) and my ability to apply eyeliner without glasses is getting harder and harder to do. And putting it on with glasses? Yeah no. 

Ohhhhh, we needs this. 

I like a matte lip on other people but am in a phase right now where all I want to wear are glossy, sheer colors. And a lot (A LOT) of eye makeup. Think Ferris Bueller's sister. 

Yo I have some lipstick for you then.
Try MAC lipstick in "Sophisto."

Also-- holy shitballs lady it's great to see your weird hairy avatar again. :love:

Edit: just went back and realized that 1) I had already admitted to being too lazy for a matte lipstick and 2) I hadn't reported back on my new purchases.

So, I bought two lipsticks from MAC: "Sophisto" and "O." Both are wonderful. Easy wearing, interesting colors. And, weird for me, they're both "frosts." Or, one is. The other just has some gold/bronze shimmer. I usually do not wear anything of the sort. But damn these colors are perfect for how I'm feeling right now. Sophisto is relatively sheer, although you can build the color. O is not as sheer -- it's more a sheer-medium coverage, and ended up darker than expected (it's like Clinique's Black Honey, but with bronze frost that makes it not quite so Goth on those with fair skin, and a better texture). Both work without primer and are easy to re-apply, even without a mirror.

Archived