Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Yo I have some lipstick for you then.
Try MAC lipstick in "Sophisto."

Also-- holy shitballs lady it's great to see your weird hairy avatar again. :love:

Thank you so much!!!! I  have really missed y'all.  Between work and my love life, I have neglected my online friends. :(  I'm going to try to do better by y'all.  You know I love me some Xray.  :wub:

I have that color Sophisto, and I really, really, like it.  It's a dress up color without the work, if you know what I'm sayin'.  And I think you do.

14 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Yo I have some lipstick for you then.
Try MAC lipstick in "Sophisto."

Also-- holy shitballs lady it's great to see your weird hairy avatar again. :love:

Edit: just went back and realized that 1) I had already admitted to being too lazy for a matte lipstick and 2) I hadn't reported back on my new purchases.

So, I bought two lipsticks from MAC: "Sophisto" and "O." Both are wonderful. Easy wearing, interesting colors. And, weird for me, they're both "frosts." Or, one is. The other just has some gold/bronze shimmer. I usually do not wear anything of the sort. But damn these colors are perfect for how I'm feeling right now. Sophisto is relatively sheer, although you can build the color. O is not as sheer -- it's more a sheer-medium coverage, and ended up darker than expected (it's like Clinique's Black Honey, but with bronze frost that makes it not quite so Goth on those with fair skin, and a better texture). Both work without primer and are easy to re-apply, even without a mirror.

OMG!! They still make "O"??? That was my favourite lipstick like 20 years ago! I loved the gold, shimmery look of it. And it was good coverage but not too dark. Oh man, this makes me happy, I never expected it to be still available! *makes plans to go to MAC store SOON*

MAC is pretty good about not discontinuing colors.  I've been using their Oh Baby lip gloss everyday for 20+ years now.  Every time I go in to buy a new stash I always get this panicked feeling that this time it won't be there.  But they always assure me it isn't going anywhere as its one of their best sellers.  I have a tube of O as well from many moons ago.

• 1 month later...

I finally opened up the wallet and, instead of buying drugstore foundation, popped for Estee Lauder's Double Wear.  It's supposed to outlast a sweaty face, and since that's about the only part of my body I sweat from, you can imagine what summer does to me.  My makeup is Gone in 60 seconds. 

Has anyone else tried this?  I've worn it one day so far with pretty good results.  It must have an antiperspirant in it. 

On 6/1/2016 at 9:49 AM, Tears of Lys said:

I finally opened up the wallet and, instead of buying drugstore foundation, popped for Estee Lauder's Double Wear.  It's supposed to outlast a sweaty face, and since that's about the only part of my body I sweat from, you can imagine what summer does to me.  My makeup is Gone in 60 seconds. 

Has anyone else tried this?  I've worn it one day so far with pretty good results.  It must have an antiperspirant in it. 

Does it make you feel like you're wearing a mask?  Because I hate that feeling.

This time of year, I just do some powder and call it makeup.  I can't wear eye shadow or base, because I sweat it off. 

No mask-like feeling.  It's very light feeling, in fact. 

Today it had the true test - 8 hours in an arbitration, which was held in an old hotel that had a compressor in their air conditioner go bad this week.  I WAS NOT AMUSED.   :angry:    It was around 86 F. in the room with a nice accompaniment of humidity.   

My foundation stayed mostly intact except for right under my eyes.  My eye makeup melted and my lipstick migrated around my chin.  So far, it's been $38 well spent.

I've got to wear a foundation nowadays.  When your freckles can't rightly be called anything else but age spots, it's time to wear foundation.   :wacko:

I splurged for some Benefit They're Real! lengthening mascara. It's OK. I mean, it does what it says on the tin, but even with primer it migrates a bit (I am so....oily.....) and it's way harder to budge the smears than my cheaper mascaras. As such, while not a bust, I don't think I'll buy it again. At least not during the summer.

Im so exited that this forum has a make up section.  For a really good mascara try Smashbox X rated mascara. I was on meds and lost hair all over including my eye lashes. After being on biotin they are sorta back but sparse but this mascara gave me eyelashes that will not clump or melt off. Another tip is buy sample size its so much cheaper. I have sensitive eyes and im always tossing mascara after every 6 weeks so I refuse to pay fill price

I've tried every mascara known to man, but my all-time fave is Loreal million lashes in the gold tube.  It's fabulous and works way better than anything else I've tried.  I use my lash curler, then apply two coats of that stuff, and I'm good to go.

Question for the manicure experts:  Is the French manicure tacky or not?  I'm kind of digging it right now.  

I thought I was rockin' a French manicure for a while a couple years ago, until I noticed that all the girls on the Bunny Ranch show on HBO had French manicures.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. 

I guess I have an inner Bunny. 

My Double Wear foundation is working beautifully, thank you very much. I got it during one of those marvelous times where if your purchase hits a certain $ amount, you get a free gift.  The gift was a tote with tons of samples, among which was a lipstick.  Now, I haven't used regular lipstick for years, mainly because I wear lip stain.  It's got great staying power and is great if you don't put too much on; but it does have a tendency to make your lips feel dry.  The Estee Lauder gift bag lipstick is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. . . beautiful summertime color and gives a wonderful creamy feeling on your lips.  Not too "wet" or sticky looking, just a light, creamy feel. 

Got a mascara, moisturizers (day and night) eye repair cream, foundation remover (since you need a special one due to the waterproof, longlasting nature of the Double Wear), and some other stuff I can't even remember now. 

The $38 for the foundation was well worth it, due to the extras I got.   Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. :drunk: 

On 6/10/2016 at 9:07 PM, Kăir Popescu said:

I have a sample of this Bite Beauty lipstick in kimchi. I LOVE this colour, but no idea where to wear it. Perhaps for dinner next Saturday at The Breslin.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Wear it to the grocery store. 

What is the texture like, anyway? I love some of those colors but I'm worried about the texture...

So I did wear it to dinner Saturday and I rocked it! (I generally shy away from loud makeup but it helped prepare me for my black eyeliner/red lip for The Cure last night). I found the texture creamy smooth, but I also either use a lipstick primer or just good old plain Chapstick before applying lipstick. I also used a lip pencil (nude) for the first time to help with bleeding and it worked rather well.

I am enjoying my Sephora subscription box more than my Birchbox as of late. The past two months I've received samples of things I've really wanted to try - Sunday Riley Good Genes serum and Bumble and Bumble Don't Blow It. Thanks for reading my mind, Sephora. And for the bright pink lipstick I freaking love.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I have rejected the Benefit mascara. I kept trying to make it work, but it was just awful.

Awful in what way?  Clumping?  I feel like I need DETAILS, for some reason. :idea: 

My foundation I was so high on let me down the other day.  There **were** extenuating circumstances, but still.  :( 

On 6/2/2016 at 7:17 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I splurged for some Benefit They're Real! lengthening mascara. It's OK. I mean, it does what it says on the tin, but even with primer it migrates a bit (I am so....oily.....) and it's way harder to budge the smears than my cheaper mascaras. As such, while not a bust, I don't think I'll buy it again. At least not during the summer.

I want to like it but I've only ever had the sample tubes (I have one right now actually) and I find it hard to use. And with the price point, I'm not willing to find out if I like it in full size. Financially, sample tubes are the way to go with mascara due to the fact they should be tossed roughly every three or so months but I find the size of the wand difficult to manage - the handle to brush space ratio is way too small and I find it impossible to control for some reason. Like, everything is too close to my eye. *blink* So I've been using my drug store Great Lash tube the past few months with greater success. 

I was using Rimmel mascara then L'Oreal million lashes, or whatever it's called, and they both flake like crazy. I should pay attention to see if I touch my eyes/face more than I think. :/

Major shindig next Saturday and I think I'll get my makeup done by someone else for the occasion. :)

Archived