Did GoT ruin the image of the characters in your minds?

Mokymok

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, or if this has been already discused, but I've wondering this for a long while. Yesterday I saw in a news portal a video of a cosplay real wedding GoT style, the happy pair were characterized as Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen, exactly as they look like in TV. Then I started looking how other people disguise exactly as the TV characters.

When you read or re-read the books, do you imagine the characters being similar to those on the TV ? I know there have been some complete changes of characters, but I mean those who are required to have some distinctive features. For example, TV Jon Snow is completely different how I would have imagined him, and I can't accept people using his image , because that is not Jon Snow. Would you change anyone? All this in my humble opinion. What do you think ?

I think the only ones I replaced with the show versions were Davos, Khal Drogo and Radmure who now appears in my mind as Brutus.

I really don't like most of the costumes the show uses, so I think that factors into my imagination of the characters. Since if I imaged the show versions I'd probably imagine them in their show garb.

I keep the show and the books separate, and tries to appreciate both for what they are. That said, the portrayal of Jon in the show sometimes grate on me, as he is a favorite character of mine, but only if someone is trying to use his show-character as a complement to his book-character. They are to different for me.

Some things enchance the experience though, like the voice and some of the mamnerism (not look) of Charles Dance for Tywin and Maise Williams for Arya.

A lot. Sadly I watched the first season before reading the books, so the characters who were important in the first season I see them a lot like the actors.

But the thing is I've never been really good at visualising characters, not in any book. So if I see a good fan art or anything like that it will usually stick in my head. It's funny that even if I see their faces like that, when I watch the show now I feel some actors are nothing like what I imagine apart from the faces. One prime example is King Bob. I watched some scene in YT and he's such a whiney bitch!

Oddly enough, no, because very few of the character really capture their book counterparts for me, looks and acting. The only ones for me that are near perfect Ned (even though he's supposed to be younger), Arya, and Hot Pie.

And every female has a softer voice in my head when I read them, like Disney princesses... idky. Like, Margaery sounds like Snow White, Dany sounds like Cinderella, and Cersei sounds like Jasmine. I like the contrast since these three Queens are nothing like Disney. xD

I'm glad they gave me Peter Dinklage as an image. I didn't have much more than a grotesque cartoon in my head before that.

Davos is a problem. Liam Cunningham's face was all I saw when I read ADwD, but he looked more like John Hurt when I read ACoK.

Apart from that, they all just look a lot older.

Oh, and the most miscast actor has to be Mark Addy as Robert. I had him as a great bear with a booming voice - like Brian Blessed. Mark Addy was a massive disappointment.

Mark Addy was fantastic in my opinion. The only person I really visualise differently is Edmure; in my head he always resembles a bearded Richard III.

Edit: throw in Meera Reed too, nothing like how I imagined her.

The only GoT likenesses I imagine are the (in my opinion) standout actors like Peter Dinklage, Jackie Gleeson, Rory McCann, etc. Otherwise, if a character ventures too far from what the book describes (Drogo, Bloodraven, Leaf) I just ignore the show version.

Every character speaks with an American accent, unless GRRM mentions their accent being "strange" or foreign. Without exception.

I'm sure that I had my own images for all of the characters before I saw them portrayed on the shows. But I have no idea what they looked like now that I've watched them talk and move before my eyes. Same with their voices.

(This not entirely true. I think Tyrion and Brienne are far more attractive on screen than they were described in the books. This is balanced by many other characters being far uglier than I had pictured them.)

Archived