NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

Weird. I started a new thread this morning... but it seems to be gone. Maybe gobbled up during maintenance. :dunno: Anyways, the other thread is about 40 posts beyond the normal limit; so here goes.

I also considered: Love Makes the World Go 'Round; To Sir, With Love; and From Russia With Love for thread titles.

Here's where we left off:

I vote that Cleveland give up nothing in a trade for Love. If he comes their way he comes their way. Though if the Cavs were to get him, that offense becomes freakish. I'd have to imagine Lebron would play the 3 and Love the 4. Imagine the spacing!

Get a good slashing PG in there like... I don't know, Kyrie Irving, and you've got a lineup.

That said, there's no way you let Wiggins go in a trade.

Jury still out on Bennett if you like the comparisons to Zack Randolph.

Z-Bo had horrible rookie and sophomore seasons and didn't begin to look like a star until his 3rd season.

Proceed.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about Bennett. Everything I saw on him when Kentucky was recruiting him made me really want him on our team and I think he would have made a huge difference... he would have been a freshman along with Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, and Alex Poythress. But when he got to UNLV, he just didn't seem to play with the same passion and it carried over into the pros. How he managed to swindle that single year into being the top overall pick is still one of the great mysteries of the universe. (Of course the answer is: Because Cleveland.)

Bennett has certainly looked good this off-season. Perhaps if the Cavs can be patient and see if Bennett might develop a bit more, they could swing a Love trade during the inevitable Pre-Tradiing Deadline Fire Sale. Which is my next point; I still don't understand mortgaging the future for a player who will/could leave in just a year. New York did it for Anthony when he was widely known to be coming to the Knicks as soon as the season ended. Even worse, the Lakers did it for Howard and the situation ended up precisely like may happen with the Cavs.

If I'm the Cavs, I put an offer out there for Bennett, Waiters, a first round pick for next year, and whatever else you need to make the salaries match. Then I tell them to call me if anyone else (Golden State) makes a serious offer. Be patient. Love will be available at the trade deadline.

Speaking of UK players in the NBA: Eric Bledsoe reportedly wants $80 million. Now I'll never begrudge a guy for wanting to get his money, especially someone who really wasn't projected to ever have an opportunity like this... but I think nearly doubling up on Steph Curry's salary ($48 million) is a bit ridiculous even though I love watching the guy play.

Phoenix seems to really like him and will reportedly match a reasonable offer to hang onto him. I'm torn on if I'd like to see him stay. Obviously, getting to the playoffs would be easier if he worked his way to the East and that could raise his marketing profile; but the Suns are really building something that could be a consistent winner (but I doubt it would ever compete for a title in the West) and I like that he's appreciated there. Tough call.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about Bennett. Everything I saw on him when Kentucky was recruiting him made me really want him on our team and I think he would have made a huge difference... he would have been a freshman along with Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, and Alex Poythress. But when he got to UNLV, he just didn't seem to play with the same passion and it carried over into the pros. How he managed to swindle that single year into being the top overall pick is still one of the great mysteries of the universe. (Of course the answer is: Because Cleveland.)

Bennett has certainly looked good this off-season. Perhaps if the Cavs can be patient and see if Bennett might develop a bit more, they could swing a Love trade during the inevitable Pre-Tradiing Deadline Fire Sale. Which is my next point; I still don't understand mortgaging the future for a player who will/could leave in just a year. New York did it for Anthony when he was widely known to be coming to the Knicks as soon as the season ended. Even worse, the Lakers did it for Howard and the situation ended up precisely like may happen with the Cavs.

If I'm the Cavs, I put an offer out there for Bennett, Waiters, a first round pick for next year, and whatever else you need to make the salaries match. Then I tell them to call me if anyone else (Golden State) makes a serious offer. Be patient. Love will be available at the trade deadline.

Speaking of UK players in the NBA: Eric Bledsoe reportedly wants $80 million. Now I'll never begrudge a guy for wanting to get his money, especially someone who really wasn't projected to ever have an opportunity like this... but I think nearly doubling up on Steph Curry's salary ($48 million) is a bit ridiculous even though I love watching the guy play.

Phoenix seems to really like him and will reportedly match a reasonable offer to hang onto him. I'm torn on if I'd like to see him stay. Obviously, getting to the playoffs would be easier if he worked his way to the East and that could raise his marketing profile; but the Suns are really building something that could be a consistent winner (but I doubt it would ever compete for a title in the West) and I like that he's appreciated there. Tough call.

Love the thread title ^_^

Your prescription for the Cavs is exactly what many including myself have been arguing for in the last thread.

You're all silly. "What's Love got to do with it?" is the only way to go. Or "What is Love? LeBron don't hurt me!"

That one is pretty awesome too.

It's almost eleven Sunday night on the East Coast. Just over eight hours until ESPN fires up the hype machine and renews the full court press of the LeBron/Love/Wiggins love triangle!

I can hardly wait!

This Cavs/ T-Wolves dance is just indicative of the two franchies.

Cavs offer a ridiculously stupid trade to the T-Wolves, who appear to be too inept to accept it. Despite their best efforts, the Cavs look to be bumbling their way to success (3 out of 4 #1 overall picks, LeBron randomly deciding to return home).

Meanwhile, the T-Wolves are doing their best efforts to prevent themselves from acquiring a talented young player. They have done an excellent job of this very thing in the draft for the last decade, and it look to ensure that they don't accidentally snag one by trading a guy WHO IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THE YEAR ANYWAY.

This Cavs/ T-Wolves dance is just indicative of the two franchies.

Cavs offer a ridiculously stupid trade to the T-Wolves, who appear to be too inept to accept it. Despite their best efforts, the Cavs look to be bumbling their way to success (3 out of 4 #1 overall picks, LeBron randomly deciding to return home).

Meanwhile, the T-Wolves are doing their best efforts to prevent themselves from acquiring a talented young player. They have done an excellent job of this very thing in the draft for the last decade, and it look to ensure that they don't accidentally snag one by trading a guy WHO IS LEAVING AT THE END OF THE YEAR ANYWAY.

Exactly! These trade talks have me questioning everything. Like if you think you're the only sane person in the room, that must mean you're the crazy one, right?

I laughed when I first read this Onion article. Now I'm wondering if Cleveland in its fanatical haste makes this exact deal.

Exactly! These trade talks have me questioning everything. Like if you think you're the only sane person in the room, that must mean you're the crazy one, right?

I laughed when I first read this Onion article. Now I'm wondering if Cleveland in its fanatical haste makes this exact deal.

Solid deal. Make it happen!

As for the T-Wolves I've Been watching Zach Levine in the summer league, this dude is awesome!! A steal at the 13th pick.

I think put him up there with Parker for early Rookie of the Year favorites.

And if Wiggins gets put with him???? Could be something really special

As for the T-Wolves I've Been watching Zach Levine in the summer league, this dude is awesome!! A steal at the 13th pick.

I think put him up there with Parker for early Rookie of the Year favorites.

And if Wiggins gets put with him???? Could be something really special

They will easily be at the bottom of the league, so they'll have a great shot at Jahlil Okafor in next years draft.

Instead, I suspect their master plan is to keep Kevin Love all season, get the 12th pick in the draft and then lose him in free agency for next year.

Comes now the news that the Bulls are looking for Love in all the wrong places. (See what I did thar?)

Apparently the offer is Taj Gibson, Jimmy Butler, and some other assets. I don't like this move for Chicago, and clearly the Cleveland offer is better for Minnesota. I don't see it happening.

Archived