NBA Offseason: What's Love Got To Do With It

Rhom

Just the standard athlete phrasing respecting both the departed and the guys still on the roster. ie: "Losing Parsons is a big loss but we have a lot of faith in the guys we still have on the roster and think they'll step in and do an excellent job for us."

Instead Howard implied Parsons had no value and Harden makes all the role players sound like the little unimportant people. That may not be what they felt but that's the way they come off.

ETA: Or what Rhom said.

Howard and Parsons are friends. I don't think the comments were that loaded. Maybe harden's comes closer, but it's a fine line, because the Rockets are kind of circling the wagons ATM, and I think the intention was to support suddenly fire-friendly Morey.

You know... when most people say "I almost got in a fight over [blank]" I just kind of brush it off as hyperbole.

For some reason, when Jace says it... I actually think she may be understating the danger this man was in.

He wanted to dance, I wanted to... polka.

That was indeed nice. No Chicago fan here, but an American hoops fan for sure that is rooting 110% for this recovery.

Ftfy :)

But absolutely, the league is much better off with a healthy Rose.

Just checked and the FIBA championship starts on Aug 30. It'll be nice to catch some good basketball before the season starts up.

I grew up watching young, pre-injury Vince Carter.

No one impresses me with effortless explosion/power since, unfortunately.

Oh of course, he's the very reason I started watching basketball. Still, I'll always be bitter about the way he left the Raps. If only his head were screwed on straight, he would have been one of the greats...

But considering what Rose has gone through, it's great to see him looking like his old self (but some game time will definitely help to see where he's at health wise).

Oh of course, he's the very reason I started watching basketball. Still, I'll always be bitter about the way he left the Raps. If only his head were screwed on straight, he would have been one of the greats...

But considering what Rose has gone through, it's great to see him looking like his old self (but some game time will definitely help to see where he's at health wise).

He could have been a potential top 5 all time guy, but you're right, his head wasn't in it.

I knew a lot of people with the Raps at the time, and there was a lot more to it (his leaving) than Vince's head. Fanbases always blame the athlete because the team almost never leaves.

But yeah, he didn't live for the game. I think it probably makes him a healthier human being, but he never put in the time off the court, mostly because it came so easy. There are all these stories; Vince used to drive his teammates and coaches crazy because of stuff like this; he almost never worked out, but was just naturally freakishly strong. Guys like Oakley, Kevin Willis, etc...seriously strong men...would be hitting the weights, and sometimes Vince would be walking by and they'd holler him over and he would just casually kill it, without warming up, without even breaking a sweat, just beast it in ways Oakley et al couldn't, then just laugh and walk away. The only time he put in any work in the offseason was his first, on his shooting, and he went from a 20-something 3-pt shooter to a 40-something 3 point shooter with just unbelievable range.

Teammates loved him as a person...he's a great friend and a class act, and he works his butt off on the court, but especially when he was younger he just couldn't be bothered to put in the time in the offseason, mostly because he didn't live for the game. But it came as easily to him as anyone I've ever seen. The only guy I ever saw with more 'wow' talent was Hakeem Olajuwon.

Whereas T-Mac ( also a freak who IMO had more all-around game than Carter) I think it was more just his back.

So I don't know if someone posted this and I just missed it, but the Donald Sterling saga appears to be over.

In a stunningly decisive order, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Levanas has ruled that Shelly Sterling lawfully reached an agreement to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion. Of equal importance, Levanas invoked Section 1310(b) of the California Probate Code. By doing so, Levanas has permitted the Clippers sale to be completed irrespective of Donald Sterling appealing. The NBA will surely approve Ballmer as the next Clippers owner and will likely do so within weeks. Clippers employees, coaches, players and fans will have a new owner by the start of the 2014-15 season, and media attention of the team will soon return to where it belongs: basketball.

To be clear, Donald Sterling can appeal Levanas’ order and...can also continue to sue his wife, the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver in various lawsuits. Those endeavors, however, only offer him the possibility of money damages. To put it another way, Donald Sterling will soon lose ownership of the Clippers and he will not get the team back. Ever.

Judge Levanas' ruling was a sweeping and decisive defeat for Donald Sterling, and essentially the his battle to keep the team has been fought and lost. Donald Sterling can and presumably will keep fighting this in court, but best case scenario is he just gets more of Shelly Sterling or the NBA's money (and that's if he wins, which he probably won't).

And for only $2 billion. That poor bastard. That'll learn 'em.

The money that pro sports franchises are going for these days is truly mind boggling. If the Clips are worth $2 billion... what are the Lakers worth?!!? :stunned:

In an age where advertising dollars are at a premium for live sports due to viewing habits of the average consumer, these figures are only going to rise and rise.

The money that pro sports franchises are going for these days is truly mind boggling. If the Clips are worth $2 billion... what are the Lakers worth?!!? :stunned:

In an age where advertising dollars are at a premium for live sports due to viewing habits of the average consumer, these figures are only going to rise and rise.

That's certainly what Steve Ballmer is hoping. But at the same time, a lot of people think that the Clippers are worth nowhere near $2 billion, and that a price more like $800mil would have been closer to the real value of the franchise. I'll be interested to see what the Buffalo Bills sell for.

That's certainly what Steve Ballmer is hoping. But at the same time, a lot of people think that the Clippers are worth nowhere near $2 billion, and that a price more like $800mil would have been closer to the real value of the franchise. I'll be interested to see what the Buffalo Bills sell for.

Bank of America, who conducted the sale, basically thinks Ballmer paid double what it's worth:

Ballmer’s $2 billion final bid is 12.1 times the expected 2014 revenues of the team, according to the numbers given to the bidders by Bank of America, which conducted the sale on behalf of the Sterling trust. The document was introduced into court Tuesday and subsequently obtained by ESPN. A person with knowledge of the sale confirmed that bidders were given these documents….

“No team in the history of sports has sold for six times total revenues, so that should give you an idea of how crazy this purchase price is,” said a sports banker who was not involved in the transaction.

Even according to Bank of America, no team has been purchased for more than five times its total revenues. Before the bidding began, Bank of America valued the Clippers between $1 billion and $1.3 billion, double the $550 million sale price of the Milwaukee Bucks, which had set a league record for a sale price just months before.

According to ESPN, the Timberwolves are now only dealing with the Cavs as the Kevin Love trade partner.

Might take a few more weeks, but looks like this deal is happening. Exciting, LeBron and Love on 1 team.

Archived