favourite / best villain?

My favorite villains are often those who are intelligent, intimidating and a bit mysterious. Those who are formidable, so to say.

1, Roose Bolton.

2, Varys.

3, Petyr Baelish.

4, Euron Greyjoy.

5, Tywin Lannister.

I do enjoy reading about psychos like Gregor CLegane, Ramsay Bolton, Vargo Hoat and AMory Lorch as well however, as they add certain sense of unpredicatble dread whenever they are around.

I also like the Tattered Prince, though I'm not sure if he truly is a villain, though he is quite despicable.

I didnt know there were vilains in this story, only ppl with their own objectives and morale. But if it means "the best antagonist to the starks family" then I choose Roose the immortal skinchanger and LittleFinger the clever schemer who will bang Sansa the die with a smile whatever what death awaits him.

Littlefinger, magnificent bastard.

Followed by Cersei. I read her chapters like this:

First read

"I'm a lioness" -> wow... this has potential!

Re-read

"I'm a lioness" -> :lol: :lmao: :rofl:

You've seen this, haven't you?

If he truly never acts again, he'll always have on his resume that he played the villainiest villain of 'em all in one of the all-time classic productions and really knocked it out of the park.

:agree:

"Hi, I played Joffrey Baratheon in GoT"

"You're hired".

I never liked the "...(Starwars,LotR,basically every Action movie,...)"-way Villains are shown.

Like:

Hey why are you evil.

I'm evil because I want power.

Why do you want power.

'Cause Power is cool an I want it.

k.

yeah. basically thats what ppl like Balon do. Well the thing with Balon could also be vengence but idk.

What makes a good villain is the Motivation. WHY would anyone kill innocent People. WHY is the villain evil.

asoiaf shines with its mass of greyscale. So nobody really is evil. But everyone has his own motivations.

Anyway: My favourite Antagonist is Tywin.

im actually surprised to see that many people on these forums consider characters like tywin and so on as villains. i've never really thought about the whole series as villain/hero style. so i agree with the many others who say that there are no real villain or heroes in asoiaf.

So for me its really about favorite characters, and imo (almost) any character can be considered as a villain in the books. But my favorites are:

The red viper

Stannis

Tywin

Randyll Tarly

Victarion

These above mentioned guys are just so badass that reading how they treat other people and how they choose to act in different situations is just so cool. I mean the way Randyll Tarly talks to Brienne for example and how he deals with his fat son who cant rule is so funny and badass.

maybe Tyrion is my favorite "villain" as well, but i guess because of four books with so much of his POV i've gotten a little bored.

I'd suggest paging through the "why do you hate Tywin?" thread for a good grasp on why people consider him a villain. He's one puppy-kick short of being a cartoon.

I did read the thread. And posted in it. And thats where my initial surprise came in as I had never thought that people hate Tywin Lannister. Certainly the characters in the series hate him (some of them) but I just thought he was fascinating and cool. And Im not sure what you mean by the cartoon part. Imo he is not a cliche villain or anything of the sort. He has a lot more imagination than cliche villains (Sauron would never have an elf captive of his or anyone else gangraped and then paid for it) and he also has motives that are completely realistic (like wanting his family legacy to continue and keeping your family's reputation high). I sympathize Tywin and imo he deserves his position as the most or one of the most powerfull and feared lords in weesteros.

He's more evil and disgusting than Sauron...

I think you made the case for me. ;)

And above all more complex. Tywin is a good example of why I really like asoiaf. If i just wanted good guys vs bad guys id be fine with LOTR. beautiful knights who are all honest and good vs. orcs who hardly talk at all and are just evil for the sake of evil. And Sauron wanting only world domination. Theres nothing to like in Sauron for me, but so much to like in Tywin. But ofc I cant deny that Tywin did "morally bad things". I would call that evil or villanous though, instead id just call it human.

Tywin is definitely more complex but doing horrible things in the name of family is not admirable to me, especially when he raised three children who all resent him in some way and have helped bring the family down more than he could ever dream. I could never respect Tywin nor see him as anything but evil with some good (yet selfish) intentions. He may not be made of pure darkness like an evil lord, but he's largely irredeemable. But he's also effective, which makes him a great villain.

Tywin is definitely more complex but doing horrible things in the name of family is not admirable to me, especially when he raised three children who all resent him in some way and have helped bring the family down more than he could ever dream. I could never respect Tywin nor see him as anything but evil with some good (yet selfish) intentions. He may not be made of pure darkness like an evil lord, but he's largely irredeemable. But he's also effective, which makes him a great villain.

okay if doing morally bad things makes you a villain then yes he is a villain, but then again so are almost everyone else to a point. someone in this thread pointed out why Rob stark was a villain and the reasons for that as well.

"Everyone else" may be committing bad deeds but those don't make Tywin's actions any better. It is true, there are very few morally upstanding people but this discussion isn't about why others are good. I am merely pointing out why Tywin is largely seen as villainous.

Archived