Watch, Watched, Watching: You've probably never heard of it.

In the last thread I mentioned I'd watched the first episode of The 100 and hadn't been hugely impressed. I've watched a couple more and I'm liking it a bit better, the third episode was entertaining and did manage a few plot developments that I didn't see coming. Not sure I'm too keen on the 'strange and deadly phenomenon of the week' they seem to be encountering, it does sometimes feel a bit too reminiscent of Lost.

Also been watching the first season of Covert Affairs on DVD. I'm finding it entertaining to watch, although it does feel like the show has the potential to be better than it is. As a spy show it seems to be taking a bit of a middle-ground between Alias and the likes of Homeland. It's closer to the former in tone but a bit more grounded in reality (no artefacts from mysterious Italian Renaissance prophets here). Most of the time it seems content to merely try to be entertaining, it is making some attempts to explore some of the potential moral dilemmas and downsides to working for the CIA but it's not really exploring them in any depth and the stakes don't generally feel all that high.

Just watched another Myazaki flick, this time it was 1984's Kaze no tani no Naushika (Nausica of the valley of the wind). I enjoyed this even more than Mononoke-hime. Naushika's score wasn't as good as Mononokes, animation and characters were on a par but Naushika's world was even more fascinating than Mononokes was. I'm seriously thinking about trying to get the manga series set in Naushika's world.

I'd struggle to say which was better, they're both excellent films. As you say, Princess Mononoke does show how much Studio Ghibli's animation has improved since Nausica, but I might slightly prefer Nausica's story, although I like the plots of both film? Have you seen Spirited Away? That's up there with the two you mentioned as Miyazaki's best.

A simple concept, yes, but brilliant writing and acting. Character arcs and plotlines are interesting. I can't say that I've seen a bunch of shows like this before. Can you mention any more of the ones that are similar besides You Rang, M'lord?

It's not a genre I tend to watch or know much about, but I think before Downtown Abbey the most famous example in the genre was Upstairs, Downstairs - a British series from the 70s. I believe You Range M'Lord (the only one I've really watched, although that was probably over 20 years ago so I can't remember much aside from thinking it was reasonably amusing at the time) is primarily meant to be a spoof version of that. The BBC did recently make a new version of Upstairs Downstairs, as a blatant attempt to compete with Downtown.

I did quite like Robert Altman's film Gosford Park, which I think is by the same writer who went on to do Downtown and in a similar setting. The murder mystery plot wasn't anything special, but it did have a very good cast.

Totem pole of human corpses? Yeah, that's cool.

Titties? Scandalous!

What about that barely alive guy who was used as fodder for mushrooms?

How is that okay to show but even some simulated oral would never make the cut?

Us Americans truly are weird sometimes...

Is Canada more tolerant of showing sexy times?

A simple concept, yes, but brilliant writing and acting. Character arcs and plotlines are interesting. I can't say that I've seen a bunch of shows like this before. Can you mention any more of the ones that are similar besides You Rang, M'lord?

I agree about the acting. They definitely deserve awards for that. Writing, I don't know it seems pretty standard fare to me. And it's almost infuryatingly conservative imo (the writer does sit on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords), even when someone breaks the mold.

As Williamjm already pointed out, Upstairs Downstairs is the most famous example of such a show. They did indeed make a remake of it. Then there are things like Berkeley Square, Lilies, Selfridge, the Forsyte saga, Thomas and Sarah, Parade's End, etc. . They aren't all carbon copies of Downton or one another, but they all have certain similiarities.

They talk about the huge social changes brought on by WWI, the end of the type of lifestyle where Lords and Ladies lived in great mansions that were maintained by their legion of servants and so on. Downton Abey, like Upstairs, Downstairs combines all those things in a tale about the residents both great and small in those houses.

It's not a genre I tend to watch or know much about, but I think before Downtown Abbey the most famous example in the genre was Upstairs, Downstairs - a British series from the 70s. I believe You Range M'Lord (the only one I've really watched, although that was probably over 20 years ago so I can't remember much aside from thinking it was reasonably amusing at the time) is primarily meant to be a spoof version of that. The BBC did recently make a new version of Upstairs Downstairs, as a blatant attempt to compete with Downtown.

They put You rang M'Lord back on air when I was like 10. I thought it was hilarious at the time, I should probably rewatch it someday, to see if its as funny as I remember :D

I'd struggle to say which was better, they're both excellent films. As you say, Princess Mononoke does show how much Studio Ghibli's animation has improved since Nausica, but I might slightly prefer Nausica's story, although I like the plots of both film? Have you seen Spirited Away? That's up there with the two you mentioned as Miyazaki's best.

I haven't seen Spirited Away yet, but it's on my list ;) If it's as great as Mononoke and Naushika, I'll surely be impressed. Though I think I'll see Porco Rosso before SA :)

LOL! Me too!

:cheers: Yes, there at least two of us now :D We're not weird! :)

I haven't seen Spirited Away yet, but it's on my list ;) If it's as great as Mononoke and Naushika, I'll surely be impressed. Though I think I'll see Porco Rosso before SA :)

I should go through and watch the Ghibli films I haven't seen yet sometime, Porco Rosso is one of the ones I've missed out on. Spirited Away is probably the most praised of Miyazaki's films (it is the one that won the Oscar, after all), it's a bit different to Mononoke and Nausica in that it the plot is more of a fairy tale rather than the Epic Fantasy of those other films so it does have a different feel to it. It's a bit more whimsical, but still compelling and it is a stunning piece of animation.

Started watching its always sunny in philadelphia; friend told me to start from season 2 so I did

Is it good? I tried to watch from season one and I just couldn't get into it. I never watched more than an episode or two, but it was such a chore to continue.

I should go through and watch the Ghibli films I haven't seen yet sometime, Porco Rosso is one of the ones I've missed out on. Spirited Away is probably the most praised of Miyazaki's films (it is the one that won the Oscar, after all), it's a bit different to Mononoke and Nausica in that it the plot is more of a fairy tale rather than the Epic Fantasy of those other films so it does have a different feel to it. It's a bit more whimsical, but still compelling and it is a stunning piece of animation.

Given what I know about Myazaki I would expect nothing less than stellar work from him :D Does SA also have the same pro environmental message? I was a big fan of that in Naushika and Mononoke :D

Given what I know about Myazaki I would expect nothing less than stellar work from him :D Does SA also have the same pro environmental message? I was a big fan of that in Naushika and Mononoke :D

Yes, there is some environmental message again, such as showing the effects of pollution on some of the river spirits.

I agree about the acting. They definitely deserve awards for that. Writing, I don't know it seems pretty standard fare to me. And it's almost infuryatingly conservative imo (the writer does sit on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords), even when someone breaks the mold.

As Williamjm already pointed out, Upstairs Downstairs is the most famous example of such a show. They did indeed make a remake of it. Then there are things like Berkeley Square, Lilies, Selfridge, the Forsyte saga, Thomas and Sarah, Parade's End, etc. . They aren't all carbon copies of Downton or one another, but they all have certain similiarities.

They talk about the huge social changes brought on by WWI, the end of the type of lifestyle where Lords and Ladies lived in great mansions that were maintained by their legion of servants and so on. Downton Abey, like Upstairs, Downstairs combines all those things in a tale about the residents both great and small in those houses.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I've never seen those shows before so this is pretty new to me; though I do understand how the upstairs/downstairs concept can be redundant. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone seen Black Sails on Starz? Worth watching?

It was a whole lotta "meh" until the last couple of episodes.... then it was OK.... but its only 8(?) episodes.... so it might be worth checking out.... if for no other reason that season 2 might not suck, and then you' be caught up

Started watching its always sunny in philadelphia; friend told me to start from season 2 so I did

Yes! Another recruit. Sunny is probably my second favorite comedy series.

You're doing yourself an injustice by skipping season 1 though. Its the most basic(budget wise) but its one of the strongest of all the seasons.

Watched the first couple episodes of 2 new FX shows. The first being Married which has kinda been meh so far. The second one called You're the Worst is pretty funny though. I really like the 2 leads. Especially the actress (Aya Cash) playing Gretchen. The only other thing I've seen her in was a small part in The Wolf of Wall Street.

Archived