Barristan's Knights - Tumco Lho, Larraq and the Red Lamb

Tyrus Martell

I really hope you are wrong . Barristan is a great character , he has information from the past that nobody else has and if he dies we lose any chance of finding out about certain events in the past . Also his interactions with the other characters in Essos would be great . There is a chance we could have Barristan, Jorah, Tyrion , Victorian, Brown Ben & Daario all in the same room together and lord knows what would happen if that took place. 

I think this is a really good point - Ser Barristan has been around and has experiences that simply no one else has or can really even relate to - serving multiple Targaryen kings, fighting multiple wars for multiple kings and attaining legendarily heroic deeds, while also being legendary in the Kingsguard, fighting Robert Baratheon but then serving him, having to deal with Joffrey's rise and his subsequent unjust removal by Joffrey, etc.

Plus he is known as one of the best FIGHTERS, Knights, and men in the realm.  It's one thing to be a ridiculous swordsman (Like Jaime Lannister) or an extremely noble, valiantly great man who's honor is known far and wide (Like Ned Stark) - but to be both, and a great person, it's just very uncommon.

I believe GoT did a huge injustice to him by writing him off, and not only that, while we "finally got to see him fight".... it was almost anticlimactic because he wasn't allowed to dominate and he was made to lose.... we deserved "the painter who only used red" and the slicing of everyone as easily as carving a cake.

But to the knights of his, I would like nothing more than to see his new guys fighting nobly, valiantly, and skillfully for him and of course Dany etc. while Barristan the Bold is taking on the role of General, tactician and leader..  I guess it's obvious he's probably my favorite character.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Even though I do like them I think they will be minor characters at best, there is now no more time and GRRM has to push the story forward and converge a lot of characters. I think they will be something like bloodriders of Dany, always there but not having long sections devoted to them.

And I am really afraid for Barristan, it has been discussed quite sometimes that after Barristan wins the battle of Mereen and routs the army the Shavepate will close the doors and declare himself king. During this Barristan will meet his end

Even though I do like them I think they will be minor characters at best, there is now no more time and GRRM has to push the story forward and converge a lot of characters. I think they will be something like bloodriders of Dany, always there but not having long sections devoted to them.

And I am really afraid for Barristan, it has been discussed quite sometimes that after Barristan wins the battle of Mereen and routs the army the Shavepate will close the doors and declare himself king. During this Barristan will meet his end

I agree.

I have a bad feeling about him not surviving, i don't want him to die but i'd rather have him going down swinging than say stabbed in the back by some Puppy Munching Slavers Bay inbred.

I agree.

I have a bad feeling about him not surviving, i don't want him to die but i'd rather have him going down swinging than say stabbed in the back by some Puppy Munching Slavers Bay inbred.

Has no one come with up with a theory that the Red Lamb is on Shavpate's pay roll and will end with back stabbing Barristan? If not then I can try to come up with it, after High Sparrow = Howland Reed I think anything can be 'proven'

Has no one come with up with a theory that the Red Lamb is on Shavpate's pay roll and will end with back stabbing Barristan? If not then I can try to come up with it, after High Sparrow = Howland Reed I think anything can be 'proven'

Lol.  Proven to like 3 people.  I've never seen that before and I personally find it unlikely, but if you can find something in the books to point towards I'd read the theory.

• 6 months later...
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 0:04 AM, Tyrus Martell said:

Just read the sample TWOW chapters of Barristan again for a refresher. The Red Lamb is one serious bad-ass, and Tumco's comments about the krakens near the Basilisk Isles are interesting to hear about. I do hope Larraq survives his injury, though.

I will.

Coming back to this thread after more than a year, I can say that the Red Lamb still rules. I don't think they'll have a very major role, but I hope GRRM keeps devoloping the Red Lamb like he is doing now, with a lot of badassery and great lines. He could become the most memorable minor character in the books.

On 22-11-2015 at 11:13 AM, Arataniello said:

I hope that Ser B does not die, but if he has to, then please let it be AFTER he and Tyrion have had some time together - their conversations about the Mad King, Joffrey and Tywin would be epic.

Yes, exactly. I think Ser Barry is most likely going to die (eventhough he deserves to live). There is the aformentioned set-up with Ser Barry thinking about his age and the slowing down of his skills. I also tend to think that that's what Ser Barry himself would like. He doesn't want to die of old age, he wants to go out in the way of Roddy the Ruin or Aemon the Dragonknight. Fighting for the good of the Realm and all that.

That being said, I'm baffled by all the people predicting that Ser Barry is going to die in his third chapter. I think there is way to much potential for Ser Barry to fall in this attack. He needs to interact with quite a few people, he needs to instill the spirit of knighthood even further in these boys of his and by God, if he goes out he deserves to fall to an opponent (or in a situation) worthy of his valour. For instance fighting and dieing against a FM, dragon, Other or a great champion, that's the sort of the stuff that should kill Lord Barristan :)  

13 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Coming back to this thread after more than a year, I can say that the Red Lamb still rules. I don't think they'll have a very major role, but I hope GRRM keeps devoloping the Red Lamb like he is doing now, with a lot of badassery and great lines. He could become the most memorable minor character in the books.

Yes, exactly. I think Ser Barry is most likely going to die (eventhough he deserves to live). There is the aformentioned set-up with Ser Barry thinking about his age and the slowing down of his skills. I also tend to think that that's what Ser Barry himself would like. He doesn't want to die of old age, he wants to go out in the way of Roddy the Ruin or Aemon the Dragonknight. Fighting for the good of the Realm and all that.

That being said, I'm baffled by all the people predicting that Ser Barry is going to die in his third chapter. I think there is way to much potential for Ser Barry to fall in this attack. He needs to interact with quite a few people, he needs to instill the spirit of knighthood even further in these boys of his and by God, if he goes out he deserves to fall to an opponent (or in a situation) worthy of his valour. For instance fighting and dieing against a FM, dragon, Other or a great champion, that's the sort of the stuff that should kill Lord Barristan :)  

My guess is Jorah will kill him in the confusion of the battle as revenge for betraying him to Dany.

What the hell am I doing on this thread? I miss the books. Need the new one, fast. :( And need to start a re-read. The show is addling my brains. :P

5 minutes ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

My guess is Jorah will kill him in the confusion of the battle as revenge for betraying him to Dany.

You're joking right? :P That would be an awful development and I believe pretty out of character for Ser Jorah :P 

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

You're joking right? :P That would be an awful development and I believe pretty out of character for Ser Jorah :P 

I'm not sure how much out of character that would be. As far as I remember he was quite messed up at the end there. Always looking towards the city, Tyrion having to prod him to do stuff.

Just now, Veltigar said:

Just quit watching man :) I did it and I'm much happier for it :D 

I can't :bang: I thought about not watching this season, but between the internet and people who I know that watch it (my brother included), there was no way I could have avoided spoilers.

34 minutes ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

I can't :bang: I thought about not watching this season, but between the internet and people who I know that watch it (my brother included), there was no way I could have avoided spoilers.

The internet has been surprisingly easy to navigate in my case :) I just disliked a whole lot of useless GoT FB-pages and whenever I see a review or thinkpiece that is in any way GoTrelated I just don't click on it. I have also stopped following visiting WoTW (they were mostly showapologists dwelling there anyway). I can honestly say that aside from the occassional crumble by some careless posters on this very forum (usually about how awful Dorne and/or the Iron Islands were without going into any detail). I don't know a thing really :) 

Friends are a bit tougher, but they usually respect my choice to not watch this trainwreck. A lot of them are a bit like you, they know the show is awful, but they haven't been able to go through detox :P The only exception is @Red Tiger, he forced me to watch the show's version of the Kingsmoot scene (he's a bad apple that one :P ). If I were following the show, that scene would have pissed me off beyond reason, but now that I have purged it from my life I found that I could really laugh with this awful rendition. I'll never understand how these guys are able to write things like

Spoiler

'Let's go murder them'

and make people buy their shit.

34 minutes ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

I'm not sure how much out of character that would be. As far as I remember he was quite messed up at the end there. Always looking towards the city, Tyrion having to prod him to do stuff.

I guess I just don't think Ser Jorah would straight-up murder Ser Barry (I also think he's nowhere near skilled enough, given Ser Barry a rather anti-climatic death, which is something I hope GRRM spares him from). It's also way to damn soon. I'm not ready to let Ser Barry go damn it :crying:

32 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Friends are a bit tougher, but they usually respect my choice to not watch this trainwreck. A lot of them are a bit like you, they know the show is awful, but they haven't been able to go through detox :P The only exception is @Red Tiger, he forced me to watch the show's version of the Kingsmoot scene (he's a bad apple that one :P ).

Reveal hidden contents

'Let's go murder them'

You want me to show you The Stark Identity as well?:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6l9oS16S1I

Witness the shit that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

You want me to show you The Stark Identity as well?:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6l9oS16S1I

Witness the shit that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

I don't even know what 'The Stark Identity' refers to? :P I reckon this is more high fanfiction by the delinquent duo, so I'll pass :P At least with the Kingsmoot I could laugh at the utter rape of the Ironborn storyline (extra ironic now GRRM dropped that Aeron I bomshell on us). I think I don't want to know which other characters got a similar treatment. 

9 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I don't even know what 'The Stark Identity' refers to? :P I reckon this is more high fanfiction by the delinquent duo, so I'll pass :P At least with the Kingsmoot I could laugh at the utter rape of the Ironborn storyline (extra ironic now GRRM dropped that Aeron I bomshell on us). I think I don't want to know which other characters got a similar treatment. 

I call it The Stark Identity, because it's Arya and the Waif in a scene that looks like it got ripped right out of a Bourne film.

Archived