Melissandre in the Show.

JustAnObsessedFan

Its Benerro, High Priest of R'hllor, who shoots fire out of his fingers. Mel never showed or mentioned such a skill.

Pretty sure in one of the Wall Chapters in ADWD, yellow flames sit atop her fingertips. "Tall yellow flames danced from her fingertips like claws" - P.158, ADWD. Unless I've missed something, that means flames come out of her fingertips.

I think they're downplaying her powers, to be honest.

Pretty sure in one of the Wall Chapters in ADWD, yellow flames sit atop her fingertips. "Tall yellow flames danced from her fingertips like claws" - P.158, ADWD. Unless I've missed something, that means flames come out of her fingertips.

Woah. I missed that. Sorry :p

But Benerro can do that too.

As far as I remember...the show hasn't shown us her powers since season 2.

It did a bit with the leeches. Showed us that she can use kings blood or that she's good with visions.

Is anyone aware of what the show-only viewer consensus is on the leeches, by the way? Here it seems to be that she saw visions of the three kings dying then burned Edric's blood as a way of convincing an otherwise opposed Stannis to come around, but in the ptv/neogaf threads they seem to not comment or actually believe she killed them.

That particular part with the flames dancing from her fingertips may have been one of her various tricks she uses.

I think it would be awesome if they had her shoot fire from her fingers to fight the White Walkers with in the show, but its not something I can see them doing unfortunately. Also the fact that she isn't tall, have red eyes or have a heart shaped face in the show does not bother me at all.

Carice does a phenomenal job at giving her this intimidating, mysterious other worldly presence while still making her attractive and graceful. All things which show us and help us understand just why Stannis is so infatuated by her.

Regarding her magical powers in the show (and the books) I think we've only seen a fraction of what she is capable of. Book readers will know that she may need to use her powers to resurrect a certain character in TWOW. And there's also an interesting quote from her POV chapter in ADWD p479 :

'She was stronger at the wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.'

Clearly she knows of what she will be capable of once she gets what she needs be it Kings blood or something else.

Undoubtedly. She's also a lot less effective, pragmatic, smart, whatever you want to call it, in the show.

In the books she uses her religion as a political tool almost as much as Stannis does, and what her allies believe isn't a sticking point for her, you'll never see her burning people for refusing to convert like you do on GoT. As long as you're loyal to Stannis, she'll work with you, speak out for you, and potentially save you. Cressen was no fan of hers, she knew he wanted her dead, but she still offered him the chance to back off with the poison. Stannis swore never to treat with Renly while he wore a crown, but Melisandre convinced him to give him a last chance to join his side. Davos tried to assassinate her, but she nonetheless councils Stannis to bring him out of the dungeons because she's aware of Davos' loyalty, though it isn't to her.

They've made her into a sort of villain-esque character it seems.

That particular part with the flames dancing from her fingertips may have been one of her various tricks she uses.

I think it would be awesome if they had her shoot fire from her fingers to fight the White Walkers with in the show, but its not something I can see them doing unfortunately. Also the fact that she isn't tall, have red eyes or have a heart shaped face in the show does not bother me at all.

Carice does a phenomenal job at giving her this intimidating, mysterious other worldly presence while still making her attractive and graceful. All things which show us and help us understand just why Stannis is so infatuated by her.

Regarding her magical powers in the show (and the books) I think we've only seen a fraction of what she is capable of. Book readers will know that she may need to use her powers to resurrect a certain character in TWOW. And there's also an interesting quote from her POV chapter in ADWD p479 :

'She was stronger at the wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.'

Clearly she knows of what she will be capable of once she gets what she needs be it Kings blood or something else.

You've got me excited for TWOW now. I'm nearly halfway through ADWD. I hope they give Mel something to do.. she's so under-utilised.

Carice is an absolute gem. She's perfect. She just nails it scene after scene.

Arya could be the water that wipe out Mel's fire.

It look like that Arya, in the show, will attack more like water(slow,calm and with purpose)

Thanks! That's an interesting point about Arya that I hadn't fully considered before. "Water dancing" as not just a term but having potential element implications.

Carice (and Mel) will definitly have more to do !

In the show, her relationship with Jon will be one of the highlights of season 5.

And in the books, it's obvious there is more to her story to come !

Archived