Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

Well I actually felt TR was quite a bit like LoU, albeit with much less stealth and much more ammo laying around. And I agree, I too found myself going back to UC a couple times just for the hell of it. The games have a certain charisma and appeal to them that TR lacks (although TR's gameplay is better). I just hope UC4 will have some more exploration, but it's a bit of a catch-22 since opening up the game might lessen the 'cinematic experience' and set-pieces for which the series is known.

One thing I'm not sure of is, didn't Amy Hennig leave Naughty Dog? If so, who's in charge of UC4 now?

Yes Amy Hennig is gone :-( I do believe Neil Druckman (the TLOU writer) is in charge of UC4.

Yeah, I don't think they can open up UC quite as much as TR. When you open up a game you also loosen up the narrative, so for UC, being reliant on the narrative, there's a fine line between bringing something new to the table with exploration, and loosing the essence of what makes UC. But there were gameplay elements, which were not reliant on being quasi-open world, which UC could adopt/adapt, TR was a much stronger platformer (some of which seemed to channel God of War a bit - wall climbing). I always felt with each successive UC the platforming suffered, almost to the point that it was not much better than the "platforming" in ME3; well not quite that token but still a long way from Naughty Dog's platforming roots.

Yeah, I'll add my voice to the chorus. Best game ever discussions aren't terribly meaningful (and I know you are just quoting the hype and not asking if it really is). But it definitely belongs in the conversation about the best game in the last generation.

For me... the best games of the generation would be...

Mass Effect 1

Skyrim

Red Dead

Last of Us

Fallout 3

Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

GTA5

Somewhat in that order with games easily able to move a place or two. (ME2 and 3 and Fallout NV are all thereabouts too but I picked one game from each franchise. ME 2 and 3 are slightly behind ME1 for me. Fallout Nevada might actually be a better game, but it was building off the brilliant Fallout 3 and I spent far more time playing the first).

Anyway... Last Of Us is right up there. I may or may not pick up Assassin's Creed - but Last Of Us is clearly superior and you owe it to yourself to play it ASAP.

3 instead of New Vegas is criminal. But on the whole thats a good list though I'd put the Walking Dead on there

3 instead of New Vegas is criminal. But on the whole thats a good list though I'd put the Walking Dead on there

It's not criminal at all. They're both great but Fallout 3 is just a materpiece and is easily my favourite game of the generation...followed by New Vegas. Let's hope we get more Fallout very soon from Bethesda or Obsidian (preferably both).

It's not criminal at all. They're both great but Fallout 3 is just a materpiece and is easily my favourite game of the generation...followed by New Vegas. Let's hope we get more Fallout very soon from Bethesda or Obsidian (preferably both).

You are pure evil. Fallout 3 was terrible. New Vegas brilliant.

Finished up ME3 last night. I'm not sure what all the fuss was about regarding the ending. :dunno: I thought it was fun. Perhaps a bit limited in its variations consider the number of choices over the three games, but it was interesting.

My favorite part of the ending was in the epilogue scene.

When the old man is telling the young boy tales of "The Shepard." It had the feeling of the origin of myths.

BTW. I chose to control the Reapers and I had a maxed out Galactic Readiness or whatever it was called. I've read over what the other endings are and I feel that even though I didn't agree with the Illusive Man about control, this went best with my "save the Rachni" "save the Geth" Paragon Shep I had been playing.

I will say that I was surprised at the lack of a final "boss" and that I did have to Google just what exactly I was doing wrong that kept getting me killed by that last marauder in the game. :lol: Otherwise, I really enjoyed those final missions for their gameplay.

I also get the gripe with the party make-up and overall linear structure of the narrative. At one point recently, I came to the realization that my party was essentially the same as what I started with in ME1. Liara, Kaiden, Garrus, and Tali... Then swap out Jacob for Wrex (poor substitute) and EDI for Ashley. The only variable was Javik and I will say that he was the most enjoyable party member in the game for me.

I didn't take him with me for Priority: Thessia and after going through the temple there, I really wish I had. Would love to hear his dialogue.

I give the overall series a big thumbs up. :thumbsup: I'd love to play through again with a wise cracking femShep, but considering that I started this Noobtastic Playthrough back in January... I just don't have time to replay when there are so many other games calling for my attention. :(

Finished up ME3 last night. I'm not sure what all the fuss was about regarding the ending. :dunno: I thought it was fun. Perhaps a bit limited in its variations consider the number of choices over the three games, but it was interesting.

Everything that can be said about it has been said at this point. If you look around a bit you'll find some good summaries (and a lot of terribl ones).

Haven't rewatched it, but I think

touched on most of the important complaints people had.

I didn't take him with me for Priority: Thessia and after going through the temple there, I really wish I had. Would love to hear his dialogue.

Liara: Shepard, the beacon seems to think you are a Prothean. It must be reacting to the cypher!

Javik: Or it could be reacting to the actual Prothean standing right next to you.

Moving on in TLoU. They've done a great job with the story telling. And with making Ellie a likeable pain in the ass. Unlike Bill, who kept being loud and alerting enemies while I was trying to be stealthy. Except that I thought enemies were programmed to ingore NPC's. I don't know, maybe that level was just scripted not to allow stealth.

Well I actually felt TR was quite a bit like LoU, albeit with much less stealth and much more ammo laying around. And I agree, I too found myself going back to UC a couple times just for the hell of it. The games have a certain charisma and appeal to them that TR lacks (although TR's gameplay is better).

I felt the opposite. UC games were great, but I never felt the desire to play them again. Whereas with TR, I've been through the game several times. And even felt it worth buying a second time for the slightly improved PS4 version (albeit on sale for half price).

Yeah, UC had better story and secondary characters. But TR had better combat; better controls in general. And more exciting setpieces. I value gameplay more than story. Plus, I've just always been a fan of TR games, so that'll play in to it as well.

And I think TLoU took a step back in terms of combat. Unless they're just making me wait for upgrades, which would still suck.

FO3 vs New Vegas is not a settled question. I prefer FO3 by a mile as well, mainly because no matter what I do I can't do fucking anything outside Tutorial Town. I have tried easily half a dozen reinstalls after people here and elsewhere repeatedly told me I was doing something wrong and I've tried their advice and I just cannot progress.

I can accept that this is a me problem, but I'm not a rank amateur here. I've been playing video games for twenty-five fucking years and I can manage games with systems like Dota and Dark Souls. If I can't figure out how to get out of the early area over 6+ attempts while people are trying to help me, your game can go fuck itself.

Well, there are a lot of little tutorial type quests to complete. Coyotes and geckoes to kill, water spigots to turn, help to recruit etc etc. I think I remember getting hung up for a while because there was one last person I hadn't talked to (again) about being ready to fight the bandit gang leader. That or I accidentally killed the bad guy before I'd arranged for everyone's help.

Well, there are a lot of little tutorial type quests to complete. Coyotes and geckoes to kill, water spigots to turn, help to recruit etc etc. I think I remember getting hung up for a while because there was one last person I hadn't talked to (again) about being ready to fight the bandit gang leader. That or I accidentally killed the bad guy before I'd arranged for everyone's help.

There are pretty much two tutorial quests.

Sunny Smiles and the geckos, and Ringo vs the Poweder Gangers. I thought it was perfectly reasonable.

3's beginning is considerably more atmospheric though.

FO3 vs New Vegas is not a settled question. I prefer FO3 by a mile as well, mainly because no matter what I do I can't do fucking anything outside Tutorial Town. I have tried easily half a dozen reinstalls after people here and elsewhere repeatedly told me I was doing something wrong and I've tried their advice and I just cannot progress.

I can accept that this is a me problem, but I'm not a rank amateur here. I've been playing video games for twenty-five fucking years and I can manage games with systems like Dota and Dark Souls. If I can't figure out how to get out of the early area over 6+ attempts while people are trying to help me, your game can go fuck itself.

... What? How on earth do you fail to get out of the first town? You're not locked! You can walk anywhere you want directly. (just take care to avoid the wildlife) I've done runs where I just walked from the starting town to New Vegas directly (was nicely harrowing trying to avoid the Deathclaws!)

Sunny Smiles and the geckos, and Ringo vs the Poweder Gangers. I thought it was perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, I think what happened is I killed the bandit dude before recruiting all the help, so I got a little "quest failed" notice and restarted. Dunno about getting locked in the town, though.

That was one thing that bugged me about the game; making choices that precluded other quests and getting "quest failed" notices apparently out of nowhere. Made me think I'd fucked up somehow.

Archived