No Arianne Martell?

lyannaisalive

One would hope there was more to the character than that QoW...but yeah it seems she's out.

Lol obviously I was being sarcastic, she's one of my favourite characters. But from the point of view of the showrunners there's little else of importance to Dornish female characters than sex and nudity, just wait for the Sand Snakes.

I support the decision to cut Arianne. I find her to be entirely disposable.

The sand snakes & Trystane will replace her very well.

But the Sand Snakes and Areo Hotah aren't disposable? I'd argue they are far more so than Arianne in every way.

Well remember that Grrm when asked about Dorne many years ago said he expected to get Doran and some Sand Snakes at least. That points to some importance of theirs in what's to come. Tyene may well poison Tommen or the High Septon. Nymeria may reek havoc on the Small Council. Obara...who the fuck knows. The point is they may have more to do in the end than Arianne...

The real question this raises for me is whether or not we'll get fAegon. It could well mean that we don't, which would be an even bigger spoiler than Arianne not amounting to much.

Lol obviously I was being sarcastic, she's one of my favourite characters. But from the point of view of the showrunners there's little else of importance to Dornish female characters than sex and nudity, just wait for the Sand Snakes.

The lady who plays Obara looks much smaller to me than how I pictured Obara. I guess like with Gwendoline Christie they can make her look less pretty, but it doesn't seem quite right to me body size wise, she seems way too small to ever be described as big boned. All the Sand Snakes are't how I pictured them ad Tyene just seems like she has the name Tyene but isn't playing Tyene at all. I will miss Arianne a lot if she's not there, she is a real physical reminder of the differences between Dorne and the rest of Westeros culturally.

The lady who plays Obara looks much smaller to me than how I pictured Obara. I guess like with Gwendoline Christie they can make her look less pretty, but it doesn't seem quite right to me body size wise, she seems way too small to ever be described as big boned. All the Sand Snakes are't how I pictured them ad Tyene just seems like she has the name Tyene but isn't playing Tyene at all. I will miss Arianne a lot if she's not there, she is a real physical reminder of the differences between Dorne and the rest of Westeros culturally.

I personally wont miss Arianne much. I'm a bit indifferent about the late comers to the books all together, however I will miss the physical reminder that females can inherit if they are first born in Dorne. That is the only thing I think I will really miss with her exclusion.

Well remember that Grrm when asked about Dorne many years ago said he expected to get Doran and some Sand Snakes at least. That points to some importance of theirs in what's to come. Tyene may well poison Tommen or the High Septon. Nymeria may reek havoc on the Small Council. Obara...who the fuck knows. The point is they may have more to do in the end than Arianne...

The real question this raises for me is whether or not we'll get fAegon. It could well mean that we don't, which would be an even bigger spoiler than Arianne not amounting to much.

This is the biggest question I think on most peoples mind after the casting, however I think he will be somewhat meaningful in the book, otherwise why would GRRM create such a big subplot? I think skipping him would just be easier for the remaining 30 hours of the show, so I assume he will be cut and have thought that might happen for a while now. However for me this ruins Varys' motives and end game so that's the only reason I really fear for young Griff. (Again, the late comers are hard to win me over. The youtube "great Dornish plan" was the only thing that sold me on adding Dorne so late, and Varys' motives are what sold me on the Aegon subplot... but I may not be in the majority on this)

But GRRM has confirmed, that there will be a second dance of dragons, which should take place between fAegon and Dany, as Jon does not know he is a Targaryen yet and has bigger problems (the Others) than who sits on an ugly chair.

If there is no fAegon, then a huge part of Dany's upcoming storyline will probably be cut and her whitewashing will continue as denying the person who for most people has the better claim shows her hypocrisy.

The real problem I have with cutting the two children of Doran Martell, who are two POV characters (although to be honest Quentyn could really be cut, since he is already dead and mostly travel around places we will probably never see on the show) and replacing them with the third son, who has as of now not even muttered a single word IIRC, is that it once more shows that the writers are mysogynists and have a problem with females ruling in their own right.

-They made LORD Stokeworth the current lord of Stokeworth and cut out Lady Tanda, who rules in her own right

-They made Doran's FATHER the ruler of Dorne, even though it was Doran's mother

-Now Trystane Martell is heir to Dorne even though this place belongs to Arianne

I think as some others have said that D&D have decided to eliminate Aegon, and that since it looks like Arianne's arc will be wedded to his--either because she actually marries him, or because she winds up in his faction--so if the decision was made to cut Aegon, that probably means no Arianne by extension.

I'd be very surprised if HBO passed on a chance to hire a sexy exotic looking woman. She is one character who actually has sex scenes in the book, and HBO is going to pass on that!? The show leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, I found a lot of the changes over the past two seasons to be absurd. I found the final episode of season 4 to be one of the weakest of the series. The sad part is they don't have to change much, more or less they can leave some things out rather than change things, their changes don't improve the show and don't make things easier to follow.

If they don't make Arianne Doran's heir, then im done with the show. The equal right of inheritance is part of what made the Martells so special.

I'm sure they still have Dornish inheritance laws; it's just that Doran only has a son so it doesn't matter. I'm assuming we'll still get the Queenmaker plot in some facet, which they can't do unless they keep female primogeniture in.

Tell me about it. I have my facepalms and seething anger all set and ready to go!

The real problem I have with cutting the two children of Doran Martell, who are two POV characters (although to be honest Quentyn could really be cut, since he is already dead and mostly travel around places we will probably never see on the show) and replacing them with the third son, who has as of now not even muttered a single word IIRC, is that it once more shows that the writers are mysogynists and have a problem with females ruling in their own right.

-They made LORD Stokeworth the current lord of Stokeworth and cut out Lady Tanda, who rules in her own right

-They made Doran's FATHER the ruler of Dorne, even though it was Doran's mother

-Now Trystane Martell is heir to Dorne even though this place belongs to Arianne

It really is striking. The replacing of Lady Blackmont with Lord Blackmont, and replacing Doran and Oberyn's ruling mother with a father, are just such comparatively minor details I HAVE NO IDEA what the motivation was for changing them. It literally makes no sense.

Three sand snakes! At least three garanteed female nudity scenes next season! This must be the greatest Tv show ever!

Seriously, what makes Dorne diferent from the rest of the 7K?

Sarcasm?

As for Arianne (and Quentyn) being cut, it looks that way, since they're billing Trystane as the heir to Dorne. The only plausible argument that I've heard for Arianne not being cut and just not being casted yet is that Arianne's assumption that she's been worked out of her rightful inheritance is a fairly big plot point for her and her character's development, so it could be said that HBO is just having some forethought about how they're billing these characters and is laying the groundwork for Arianne. That's possible, but given D&D's track record of female characters, and (what I see as) their complete inability to plan ahead in the way that this would entail, I'm not super optimistic. But I honestly hope I eat my words.

Archived