[Book spoilers] Whats the big event going to be in S05E09?

Bettley

This happened because the material was already there, published and ready to be adapted for the screen. George has not finished writing WINDS or SPRING. If the words aren't on the page, they can't be on the screen.

All the producers and writers have done is move parts that already exist on the page. That's their prerogative. Don't confuse that with leaping ahead of the books, which was the point I was stressing. To go ahead of the books would be a cardinal sin. Do you agree or not?

There are many twists and turns going on when you accept than FEAST and DRAGONS equate to one book split in two, due to the shear volume of words.

It took FIVE years until FEAST was published (2005). DRAGONS followed another SIX years later (2011). How long before WINDS?

When you take in all the conventions, book readings, interviews..... George is kept busy. That tells its own story.

Going ahead of the books isn't a cardinal sin. That is the best outcome at this point, anyway. Rushing the last two books out would compromise quality, so GRRM and his publisher need to take their time and do it right. And GRRM is allowed to enjoy living his life. And the show is going to continue for its seven seasons and then be finished, because it would be a nightmare with actors and sets and fans to pause it. Books and show will continue to deviate in a number of ways, but they're telling the same story, and the show will get to the ending first.

You are partially right. But, since half of the scenes in S4 were invented by the writers and not adapted from the book (the beetle-squasching scene being the stupidest and longest of them all) the show cannot be referred to as an adaptation. So, I fear that if they know the end game, they will just keep inventing lame scenes. All bets are off.

ad·ap·ta·tion

ˌadapˈtāSHən,ˌadəp-/

noun

a movie, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work, typically a novel.

That's all an adaptation is. There's nothing in there about 'faithfulness' or 'accuracy'. You can't claim that 'this change' or 'that change' keeps it from being what it is by definition.

See, I don't dispute the multiple purpose of Tysha story, but your explanation of Tyrion's show motives for killing Tywin is illogical. So, he killed his father because he was a bully. Why then, why not before? What was the trigger? There was none. It was Tyrion who asked for trial by combat just to spite Tywin, not vice versa. It was not Tywin who sentenced Tyrion to death, the fact that Oberyn lost did it etc. So, no motive for murder at all. Many children are bullied by their parents in Westeros and no one has killed them yet. Should Sam go home and kill Rendall who openly threatened to kill him unless he went to the Wall? No? OK. I repeat, I used a sarcastic remark to point out that I do not see the show as an adaptation or logical creation any more. There is no need to debate on a sarcastic remark. That is not a purpose of sarcasm. I am glad you like S4, because all my friends find it very lame. I'm increasingly finding it beyond lame, just ridiculous. Chacun a son gout.

I think showTyrion has been thinking about killing Tywin at least since Bronn commented "if a man did that to me, I'd kill him" in season 1. I think showTyrion started seriously thinking about it during his trial, and when he said he wished they were all dead, he meant it. The prison escape gave Tyrion his first opportunity to act. And the prison escape itself was the trigger - showTyrion has said several times that there is no life for him in exile. Jaime offers him his life and I think Tyrion thinks "the thing I want most is a confrontation with Tywin". We've seen Tyrion time and again choose confrontation even though it is dangerous.

Tyrion blamed Tywin above Cersei because Cersei believed him to be guilty while Tywin believed him to be innocent. And Tywin has been the more horrible relative to Tyrion. Tyrion and Cersei have had moments of accord and vulnerable honesty but Tyrion and Tywin have never had anything better than that one scene of grudging respect at the end of season 1 after Jaime was captured. Anyway, Tywin's plan of sending Tyrion to the Wall was a death sentence too - how long would Tyrion last up there even if there wasn't a massive wildling army on the move.

I don't think they'll devote a whole season to the White Walkers. I think the first half of season 7 will mostly tie up loose ends in the war for the throne (along with the beginning of the WW invasion) while the second half is the big Ice vs Fire finale (along with the ending and whoever sits the Throne or doesn't).

I'm not sure people would like a full season of White Walker madness

Yeah, you're probably right. My guess is that somebody, probably Aegon, will take the throne from Tommen during season 6 / book 6. I do expect Dany to go to Westeros during season 6 and threaten Aegon. And probably things get really bad in the north during season 6/book 6. Then season 7 / book 7 have to resolve the war of the kings and the white walkers. But Dany probably needs to fight two big battles, meet a lot of people, and cover a lot of ground after arriving in Westeros; that seems like a heck of a lot to do in one season. If the Battle of Mereen isn't until episode 2 of season 6, I don't see how Dany could be on a boat pointing toward Westeros before mid season and arriving in Westeros at the end of season 6.

If the Battle of Meereen isn't in the start of season six, I'd be shocked. Saying they'll cut it because it's "too expensive" is ridiculous. Shall we have the whole show take place in one room like a bottle episode to save costs?

This is the first battle that's going to heavily feature the dragons, not putting that on screen makes no sense to me. I can see them trimming down or maybe cutting the Ironborn intervention somewhat (I hope not as it seems that wild card will be decisive in the outcome) but not removing the whole thing.

It seems a lot of people dislike the Meereen arc enough to just abandon the ending of it?

Do you see Dany as a conquering force then Janica? My take is she will make it to Westeros but die sometime after in line with a number of other characters under GRRM who look like they are about to fulfill their goal and have it cruelly denied when it's within touching distance.

Archived