Yezzan's role is very different in the series? [major spoilers]

reddy95

Yeah hes mentioned as a slave owner and couldn't be captain of the second sons. Namely because then he would recognize who Jorah was and wouldn't enslave him.

I am more curious about what on earth they are going to do with Jorah. Theres no way they'll show him as a drunk whoring brute and thug. Hard to believe that Iain Glen could play that and that such a shift in character would be believable.

Also, I don't think there will be much of a mummers show or riding pigs. I do think they will focus on Jorah being beaten and probably tortured. Wonder if he will get branded as well.

The TV Yezzan will be a big player, so his expanded story is certainly a combination of characters. I tend to think Illyrio's role will be merged with his. My guess as to his story arc is as fillows:

Tyrion will meet Griff and co on the ship he got loaded on at the end of last season, and that the storyline on the ship replaces the riverboat. The ship brings Tyrion, grif etc. to yunkai (or wherever he is billed as being from). We find out Yezzan has hired the golden company and that he conspired with varys to save tyrion (adopting the Illyrio line). Tyrion figures out the Ageon thing and

Yezzan will reveal bits and pieces of his involvment in the conspiracy to restore the Targs. His plan is to work with the other slavers and besiege Mereen and then negotiate with dany - basically "you can either stay here, try to run a giant city with a slave culture you can't control and which is in a state of bubbling rebellion *and* deal with a massive siege at the same time, or you can take your army, plus the Golden company (an instantly loyal band of highly trained westerosi) and go claim your birthright with the aid of the continued conspiracy". Make Yezzan the voice of reason in the siege lines, with others chomping at the bit to tear the city to pieces. Also give him a sympathetic back story - maybe he is a westerosi captured and sold into slavery (maybe by Jorah?), and was able to win his freedom and become hugely wealthy. He owns slaves but is uncomfortable with the institution and treats them relatively well. He also needs some back story as to why he is so pro-targ (Illyrio, being from pentos was a short sea voyage away and probably stood to make a lot of $ with favorable trade, but slavers bay is way farther and presumably has way less of a trade relationship). Tyrion fits into his plan because he will be an excellent adviser to dany (groundwork already set by co-conspiritor varys in previous seasons - remember the scene when varys tries to send Shae away?)

After we have the character development between Yezzan and tyrion, tyrion wanders out of the Yezzan's compound in search of some local color and he runs smack into Jorah who then decides to drag him back to mereen. They wind up caught by slavers (bandits/pirates depending on mode of travel). Yezzan has to buy them back at an auction and they are now officially slaves for the sake of appearances. He buys Jorah too because he knows who tyrion is and/or b/c of back story. Maybe one of the guys bidding is Brown Ben or someone else Tyrion recognizes as a sellsword.

They then make their way to beseige Mereen, with Jorah and Tyrion as his "slaves". Yezzan is part of the delegation that negotiates with Dany. If this happens early on they may have him become a fixture in Dany's court (long, drawn out negotiations) where he may even take the role of the Shavepate (on the d/l, tho) or otherwise be a foil to Hizdahr.

Then, just as Dany seems ready to pack up and pull a d-day on the blackwater, the pale mare hits, takes yezzan and everything falls apart (or maybe he gets killed by drogon in the fighting pits with his death as an ironic rallying point for the besieging coalition). You find out the golden company has bailed and departed for parts unknown now that their paycheck has died (or so you think). Tyrion and Jorah, having gotten on the bad side of someone in power who is now in a position to do something nasty to them (burn them with Yezzan's body?) do that they do in the books and find Brown Ben or his equivalent.

As a cliffhanger ending in episode 10 you leave off with Griff/Ageon/golden company coming ashore in a place that is obviously westeros - maybe seeing Doran (not gouty for TV) or the sand snakes waiting for them.

A bit long, but this is my guess :)

Why would a sellsword need a dwarf as a slave?

And why would someone who owns slaves need to be a sellsword?

In the books Yezzan has a preference for freaks and thats why he buys Tyrion

Brown Ben also tries to buy him in the books for other reasons (mainly for Cersei's bounty on Tyrions head)

However I would be surprised if the show doesn't change Yezzans reasons a lot (since he seems like a totally new character compared to the Yellow whale from the books)

Archived