Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

So it looks like Liverpool are gonna put in a bid for Balotelli , somewhere around the 14 m pounds mark . one crazy fucker to replace another .

As I said numerous times before, Balotelli has all the potential to become one of, if not THE best striker in the next decade.

The problem is that he's a nutjob, plain and simple.

The club that can get him to turn his head around will be heavily rewarded.

Liverpool might just be that club. I wouldn't like to see them risk it despite their recent track record of getting the best out of nutjobs.

Balotelli will never be more than what he is now. His attitude just won't allow for anything greater. It's such a waste but it is what it is.

I share this sentiment, though I'd much prefer to be wrong on the matter.

He could provide high-quality entertainment for all football fans and the right kind of entertainment for once.

anybody know anything about Facundo Ferreyra? never heard of him and worry that we now won't try and tie up remy for another season.

His nickname is apparently 'Chucky'

Roberto Martinez says we'll need a winger.

I agree, but I think that we're also in need of another striker, a central defender and perhaps a right back. After all, we have EL to look forward (?) too this season; we'll need a bigger squad.

Or we could gamble that we won't have any injuries of note. I mean, Darron Gibson isn't all that injury prone, is he?

Everton do need some reinforcements if you guys are to compete effectively on four fronts this season. The club has operated on a shoe-string budget for a long time now and having already spent £27m(?) on Lukaku makes me think that there is not much left in the kitty for Martinez. Bringing in a couple of players on loan perhaps might be the only option.

If he gets it together a bit, Balotelli may become the future Zlatan that he clearly thinks he already is, but I think there's a high chance he'll wind up as just an angrier Berbatov.

I think the chances of him ever actually being the best striker in the world outright are very small indeed, though.

Rodgers said today we definitely are not in for Balotelli. We need another striker for sure and I would have prefferred him over Bony or Remy but its not gonna happen. I do wonder who we will end up with.

Yep, same for me. I'm glad we're swerving the sulking ego monster but I do wonder who we'll add. We really need another top striker. Sturridge's minor hamstring injury should be a huge fog horn to Brendan.

If he gets it together a bit, Balotelli may become the future Zlatan that he clearly thinks he already is, but I think there's a high chance he'll wind up as just an angrier Berbatov.

I think the chances of him ever actually being the best striker in the world outright are very small indeed, though.

The chances of him being the best striker in the world are directly proportionate to the chances of him getting his shit together.

I would agree they are slim to none, at least at the moment.

He is helped by the fact that there is currently a massive lack of young strikers breaking through- if you look at strikers under the age of 25, he's probably in the top three at the moment. There's not even that many hyped goalscoring wide forwards once you look past Neymar- loads of defenders, midfielders, and creative attackers, but there's a shortage of finishers...

But I can't help but feel that even if he does get some consistency together, there'll always be someone better.

Everton do need some reinforcements if you guys are to compete effectively on four fronts this season. The club has operated on a shoe-string budget for a long time now and having already spent £27m(?) on Lukaku makes me think that there is not much left in the kitty for Martinez. Bringing in a couple of players on loan perhaps might be the only option.

I'll certainly agree that there probably isn't much left. I'm surprised we even had as much as that. However, I think the deal is structured in a way that leaves some £10-12m to be paid in installments, and some £3m based on performance. So theoretically (and football economy is nothing if not very theoretical) we have a little left to spend.

After all, Lukaku is bought for less than we sold Fellaini for. And since then we have sold Jelavic as well. So perhaps one signing is my thinking, with a couple of loan deals thrown in.

newscastle seem to be in for sunderland's connar wickham. the kid is pretty good. and stealing from the neighbors is added humor.

that would make seven players in for the toon. this could be a fantastic bit of business or a boatload of failure. as always i expect the latter!

Archived