Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

Starting to feel left out that we haven't bought a Southampton player

Ornstein just tweeted that Tottenham is in talks with Southampton for Rodriguez and Schneiderlin. I'm going to be very upset if we miss out on Schneiderlin unless we bring in Carvalho instead.

The circumstances with Portsmouth were financial mismanagement on a massive scale. There was some talk that Southampton needed some money to come in but I'm doubtful they're in anything like the situation Portsmouth were.

As Germany's U-19 is currently strolling into the Euro final (4-0 up against Austria at the moment; Werder's Davie Selke has scored six in the tournament so far, dare I hope this heralds good things for the first team? Probably not) the commentator mentioned that the senior side will be the first to wear the new jerseys with four stars. Which will happen in a friendly against Argentina. How fitting.

Starting to feel left out that we haven't bought a Southampton player

Apparently Soton and the management feel that any player who wants to leave should be sold. They'll surely get players in but it's been brutal for them so far.

I wonder what Koeman makes of all of this. Seems like blatant asset-stripping by the owner. When Katherine Liebharr took over from her father, I recall her saying that she doesn't even like football and I guess this player exodus proves it. Going to be a tough season for the Saints.

ETA. wouldn't mind seeing Schneiderlin in a United jersey. Doesn't look like we've expressed an interest though and that is a shame.

Pity about Remy. And then of course 'onest 'Arry tries to talk back up the player's value. Liverpool need to sign another top quality striker.

Polish - thanks for the correction on Schneiderlin. I thought I had read he was a recent buy, e.g. a year prior to Wanyama.

Liverpool played here on Sunday evening but I did not go. I was expecting a team of mostly kids so soon after the WC, and my wife and son wouldn't enjoy the game enough. There were quite a few Liverpool shirts around the city but no scouse accents that I heard.

Have fun Chef. Nothing quite beats the first game one catches at the stadium ( if indeed it is your first game), hope you got good tickets.

In other news, it seems West Ham will likely sign Jenkinson on loan. Though the folks are arseblog report that he has to show that his game has improved or he will likely be sold off. Regular playing time *should* help with that.

I'd imagine the atmosphere will be a new experience. Though yes, those are good tickets. Makes me wish I was going to a few games later this year, but college gets in the way of that.

Arsenal have also recruited new fitness coach, Shad Forsythe, he's been with Germany for the last decade and has joined up with the club recently. I suppose the club have looked into the injury concerns with the squad. Hopefully he makes a difference.

Awesome news MC. I had tickets for Arsenal in a similar spot and the view was excellent.

Arsenal have also recruited new fitness coach, Shad Forsythe, he's been with Germany for the last decade and has joined up with the club recently. I suppose the club have looked into the injury concerns with the squad. Hopefully he makes a difference.

This is going to be huge. He's well respected and uses sports science to track fitness/rehab. I think that'll be a big part of knowing when players are at a point where they cannot train/play and are properly rotated to keep them fit. Probably our most important signing this year.

Happened to stumble upon this gem in the comments section over on Daily Mail

Happy Tuesday everyone, just to remind you that Man U will NOT be in the Champions League this season. Have a nice day.

Also, since Remy conspired to fail his medical we now find ourselves back on square one in our search for a striker to support Dan Sturridge. I honestly don't know who we could go for at this point, that is a quality striker who will not act as if Liverpool is not good enough for them.

Archived