Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

Well it is because they mostly are by comparison, footballers are never going to be super jacked because it is counter productive to the sport, Bale is in good shape but he doesn't have that much muscle so I just think it is ludicrous to suggest PEDs in his case. A 300lb lineman? Probably juicing. A 165lb footballer? Not so much.

I should have added a smiley face. Compared to a man who can lift a van, we're all weak.

Right, because we do that all the time. Get back to me when Melbourne City buy Angel Di Maria and loan him over for to us for a whole season. Or even when this turns into a trend rather than a one time occurrence for a player trying to keep fit in the off season. It's Wenger whinging for no reason.

I don't think he cared much but he was asked the question. And it's a start. You can be flippant about it now, but if that's what City does in 5-7 years when they've set up the infrastructure, it's a competitive advantage over everyone else that other clubs (more or less all of them) don't have the funds to do.

I don't really care. Do what you gotta do.

I'm not really sure what the issue is here, to be honest. It's essentially a similar setup to feeder clubs everywhere, that just happens to be owned by the same people. The vast majority of players NYC sign are gonna be of no interest to City, because if they were they'd be signing for City. If anything it's NY's fellow MLS teams that should be complaining, because there's gonna be a stream of loan players coming in, but again, feeder clubs have done this for years.

It is a system open to abuse- remember Watford loaning half a team from Udinese a couple of years back - but I can't see City doing it to that extent.

I thought the complaint was more about getting round FFP by adding a token englishman to the squad. Classic stuff from Wenger though - "There's a better way to get to Manchester than via New York." It's the deadpan delivery.

I certainly think he was playing more for a laugh rather than trying to get a point across. I'm surprised it's got the reaction that it has, but oh well.

Aren't CFC doing a similar thing with Vitesse? Though I don't know to what extent City want to do it. Again, I'm not too bothered either way, but I think Arsenal might have a similar arrangement with Boreham Wood.

I thought the complaint was more about getting round FFP by adding a token englishman to the squad. Classic stuff from Wenger though - "There's a better way to get to Manchester than via New York." It's the deadpan delivery.

Yes, perhaps they should go via London?

I don't think he cared much but he was asked the question. And it's a start. You can be flippant about it now, but if that's what City does in 5-7 years when they've set up the infrastructure, it's a competitive advantage over everyone else that other clubs (more or less all of them) don't have the funds to do.

I don't really care. Do what you gotta do.

We have an insurmountable advantage over most clubs now anyway due to FFP!

And the key word in your post is "if". "If" we're doing it in five or six years then I'll be on Wenger's side. But we won't be.

We have an insurmountable advantage over most clubs now anyway due to FFP!

And the key word in your post is "if". "If" we're doing it in five or six years then I'll be on Wenger's side. But we won't be.

Yea, for sure. I used the word "if" on purpose because I have no idea what City's plan is.

Archived