Jonathan Pryce (!) - High Sparrow

Hippocras

Is anyone else thrilled by this casting?

He is an exceptionally good actor with quite an impressive CV, and he looks like Pope Francis which is perfect for the role of High Sparrow.

It seems to mean that the role of High Sparrow is going to be quite a big one in season 5.

I predict:

Episode 1 or 2: The future High Sparrow meets Brienne and discusses the horrid state of affair in the Riverlands and why the Sparrows are going to King's Landing. This scene or scenes may be tied in to Brienne's pursuit of Arya, because Arya left from Saltpans as was clear in the show, so there are strong clues they might have Brienne arrive at Saltpans and think Arya is dead as in the books.

Episode 2 or 3: the High Sparrow has a rousing speech outside the Red Keep, talking to a bunch of very angry commoners and Sparrows flooding the city. Reminiscent of the Demon Monkey speech in season 2. He becomes High Septon.

Episode 4: The High Sparrow makes a deal with Cersei to legalize the Faith Militant.

Episode 5: Cersei's accusations against Margery are presented to the High Sparrow.

Episode 6: Cersei is arrested and berated by the High Sparrow.

Episode 7: Cersei is a captive of the Faith.

Episode 8: Cersei confesses, and finally gets visitors. Qyburn comes to see her.

Episode 9: Shame Walk

Episode 10: Preparations for the trials of Cersei and Margery may involve High Sparrow scenes.

And then there will be the trials and whatever the Faith Militant gets up to in Winds of Winter/Season 6.

Actually, I can see the current High Septon getting a scene early in the season (1 or 2) where he has an argument with Cersei. Pryce's future HS could very well be in that scene and the High Septon could throw something about his past there.

Later down (episode 3 I'd say), Cersei sends someone (Trant ?) to kill the High Septon.

Episode 4 or 5 : Pryce's character makes his rousing speech and is elected HS.

I agree with your vision on the rest of the season. Even if I'd see Cersei's capture more in episode 7 than 6.

And for me, the best way to reintroduce Gendry would be in this storyline (maybe as a page to the HS).

Interesting. I hadn't thought of Gendry joining the Faith militant storyline. I was still thinking he would rejoin the Riverlands story, or continue filling Edric Storm's role which will likely intersect with Aegon's story when he takes Storm's End.

I really think the Sparrows need to be introduced in the Riverlands before KL. They lose half their impact if they do not tie in to the devastation of the war.

Well, it would certainly give Brienne something juicy in her first episodes of the season if she crosses path with the future HS and a cohort of poor blokes in rags going to the capital.

Well, it would certainly give Brienne something juicy in her first episodes of the season if she crosses path with the future HS and a cohort of poor blokes in rags going to the capital.

Yeah, it will also help keep Brienne's story relevant.

You really have me thinking about Gendry. Maybe he will join Hot Pie at the Inn.

While I was busy being excited over Alexander Siddig, I kind of put Jonathan Pryce on the wayside. Now that we're a couple days out and I've calmed down though, I have to say I am stoked at this casting choice. He'll be perfect.

I've got no input on a projection of his scenes for Season Five, but definitely count me in the "thrilled" category.

I am beyond delighted by this news. Pryce is one of my favourite actors he has proven his talent multiple times in some pretty amazing roles, and does pretty well in high fantasy (strongly recommend catching him in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for anyone interested in his work)

Also, Alexander Siddig is news to me. Brilliant, wonderful news. Bring on Doctor Bashir!

This dude is the High Sparrow personified, already. It was a great choice. Everybody else but him and Doran were poorly casted though imo.

Well I would say you should give them a chance before saying that! We haven't seen them in a single episode yet. I think they will do great. All of them.

This dude is the High Sparrow personified, already. It was a great choice. Everybody else but him and Doran were poorly casted though imo.

I like the choices for the most part. I do wish they'd kept Tyene blonde though. I'm eagerly awaiting the next casting announcement!

I hope they give him a beard at least. The High Sparrow is supposed to look like a beggar more than a priest. And making him the "pope of westeros" is really oversimplifying his character in my opinion. He's more than just a religious leader at this point, he's the voice of the smallfolk who have been ignored and suffered the most from the war and it gives a really great perspective on the whole game of thrones. And they got a great actor. the scenes between him and cersei should be amazing!

Archived