A Feast for Crows Reread

cteresa

Oh, wow, that was fast, thanks so much for the new forum Ran.

Recaping, the proposal is a reread of AFFC, all spoilerage related to AFFC allowed, keyword being reread.

Two chapters a week, on this subforum, as talked on the old board and a thread on the new AFFC board. Discussion starting each week on Monday ( 0.01 am on New Zealand will do I guess) and going till Sunday

About how to organize the discussion: the old ASOIAF reread used different threads for each viewpoint character. Another option is using threads by date of what is being discussed. I think the discussion by viewpoint character might make it easier to find later discussions on a certain page or chapter, while organizing it by date will make it easier for people to follow the reread with us or later. Dunno which would be better overall, each has advantages and disadvantages, have your say please.

If we go by chapters, there is a good suggestion that we combine some POVs on some threads for example

Dorne - Prologue ( ok, not Dorne, but I do not know where else to put it), Arys, Areo and Arianne

Iron Islands - Aeron, Asha, Victarion

then single threads for each of the other PoVs

Arya

Brienne

Cersei

Jaime

Sam

Sansa

What do you guys think?

I tried to do some chapter counting, and according to the K hardback, if I made no mistakes, it´s 46 chapters

Prologue (Pate) 1

Aeron ( The Prophet) 18

Areo (The Captain of the Guards) 30

Cersei 1 47

Brienne 1 57

Samwell 1 71

Arya 1 87

Cersei 2 99

Jaime 1 116

Brienne 2 131

Sansa 1 145

Asha (The Kraken´s Daughter) 159

Cersei 3 173

Arys (The Soiled Knight) 185

Brienne 3 199

Samwell 2 215

Jaime 2 226

Cersei 4 238

Victarion (The Iron Captain) 255

Aeron 2 ( The Drowned Man) 267

Brienne 4 280

Arianne (The Queenmaker) 298

Arya 2 312

Sansa 2 (Alayne 1) 329

Cersei 5 344

Brienne 5 363

Samwell 3 377

Jaime 3 391

Cersei 6 411

Victarion 2 (The Reaver) 427

Jaime 4 444

Brienne 6 461

Cersei 7 473

Jaime 5 487

Arya 3 (Cat of the Canals) 504

Samwell 4 519

Cersei 8 529

Brienne 7 547

Jaime 6 561

Cersei 9 575

Arianne 2 (The Princess in the Tower) 587

Sansa 3 (Alayne 2) 605

Brienne 8 628

Cersei 10 642

Jaime 7 659

Samwell 5 672

If anybody spots any mistake there, do let me know please. I can´t believe Arya has only 3 chapters and Brienne 8! And if anybody has US page numbers, that would be great as well.

The proposal for the schedule assuming we start next monday, and taking out Christmas week is

28-Nov-05 Prologue Aeron , page 1 to 29

5-Dez-05 Areo Cersei 1 , page 30 to 56

12-Dez-05 Brienne 1 Samwell 1 , page 57 to 86

19-Dez-05 Arya 1 Cersei 2 , page 87 to 115

2-Jan-06 Jaime 1 Brienne 2 , page 116 to 144

9-Jan-06 Sansa 1 Asha , page 145 to 172

16-Jan-06 Cersei 3 Arys , page 173 to 198

23-Jan-06 Brienne 3 Samwell 2 , page 199 to 225

30-Jan-06 Jaime 2 Cersei 4 , page 226 to 254

6-Fev-06 Victarion Aeron 2 , page 255 to 279

13-Fev-06 Brienne 4 Arianne , page 280 to 311

20-Fev-06 Arya 2 Sansa 2 , page 312 to 343

27-Fev-06 Cersei 5 Brienne 5 , page 344 to 376

6-Mar-06 Samwell 3 Jaime 3 , page 377 to 410

13-Mar-06 Cersei 6 Victarion 2 , page 411 to 443

20-Mar-06 Jaime 4 Brienne 6 , page 444 to 472

27-Mar-06 Cersei 7 Jaime 5 , page 473 to 503

3-Abr-06 Arya 3 Samwell 4 , page 504 to 528

10-Abr-06 Cersei 8 Brienne 7 , page 529 to 560

17-Abr-06 Jaime 6 Cersei 9 , page 561 to 586

24-Abr-06 Arianne 2 Sansa 3 , page 587 to 627

1-Mai-06 Brienne 8 Cersei 10 , page 628 to 658

8-Mai-06 Jaime 7 Samwell 5 , page 659 to 685

PS - edited correcting small mistakes, thanks OZ and HS!

Cteresa, those page numbers are like 1 off the UK (Australia) trade paperback as well, which is good for me! Schedule looks good too.

As for thoughts on AFFC, I guess I'll start that.

I found that the book really opened my eyes to the horrors of the war, particularly Brienne's chapters (obviously). It made me realise how bad things had really gotten. That was the big thing for me.

I was also fascinated by Cersei's descent to madness, and how quickly it happened.

Really looking forward to this re-read!

Two chapters a week, on this subforum. Discussion starting on Monday ( 0.01 am on New Zealand will do I guess) and going till Sunday.

About how to organize the discussion: the old ASOIAF reread used different threads for each viewpoint character. Another option is using threads by date of what is being discussed. I think the discussion by viewpoint character might make it easier to find later discussions on a certain page or chapter, while organizing it by date will make it easier for people to follow the reread with us or later. Dunno which would be better overall, each has advantages and disadvantages, have your say please.

How about we set up the discussion according to what week we are on?

Which would make the title and the subtilte look like this:

Week One -- 28-Nov-05

Prologue & The Prophet

Week Two -- 5-Dec-05

The Captain of the Guard & Cersei 1

Week Three -- 12-Dec-05

Brienne 1 & Samwell 1

So on and so forth.

It would make it so much easier on people who get behind and then there wouldn't be a mix up of discussion about the different chapters which got kind of confusing the first time I took part in the reread over on the other board.

Just a suggestion =)

I like Leah's suggestion above. Nice and clear and easy to follow, and logical as it follows how we're working through the book. And easy to go back to/catch up on too.

Once we've decided on the set up, and are ready to go, would you like me to set up each thread as midnight NZ time comes around? Its 10pm Aussie time so its a good time for me. And I can let you guys know if I'm unavailable for some (which I will be from mid-Dec to mid-Jan).

I prefer Cteresa's suggestion of splitting by POV instead of by date. I can imagine discussions about (say) Brienne III and Brienne IV being related and hence benefiting from a common thread (because of quoting, for example). But I see no benefit in discussing Prologue and The Prophet in the same thread. There are no common themes or characters or arcs or events in those two chapters, so our discussions might be disjointed and confusing.

But it's not big deal, I am in either way, and grateful that somebody organises it. (That will be my fourth reading.)

I prefer Cteresa's suggestion of splitting by POV instead of by date. I can imagine discussions about (say) Brienne III and Brienne IV being related and hence benefiting from a common thread (because of quoting, for example). But I see no benefit in discussing Prologue and The Prophet in the same thread. There are no common themes or characters or arcs or events in those two chapters, so our discussions might be disjointed and confusing.

But it's not big deal, I am in either way, and grateful that somebody organises it. (That will be my fourth reading.)

Yes, we should discuss about Prologue and Sam 5 in same topic rather then Aeron and Prologue.

this might be kind of a silly question, but I'm new, and have never done a group re-read. I am very excited to do it and don't want to miss out!!! :D

My question is, if I don't join in the discussion at the same time as everyone else (it ends up being 4 in the morning here with the time change), and join later in the day, will there still be people to talk to? Or will I have missed the major points of discussion?

Yes, we should discuss about Prologue and Sam 5 in same topic rather then Aeron and Prologue.

Marwyn, help, can you explain that some other way? I do not understand what you mean, but admittedly been a long day.

So far Leah and Ishtar prefer a method where we would have a thread per week - that would make it about 23 threads for 46 chapters. HE and Jon prefer dividing by POV like the old reread, which would mean about 8 threads going at once - we might need to close threads to start new ones, is the 200 post thread limit still going on? Personally I am sort of inclined for the thread for each character thread, if only by inertia because that was what we tried before.

Nym, welcome, I am not sure how it will go yet, how many we will be, how discussion will go, by last reread people were joining and leaving ( oh, yep leaving mostly towards the end, but we were suffering AFFC withdrawal badly) freely. If you mean discussing the chapters being read, jump in at any time, if you mean old chapters, not sure. Of course chances are discussion of a juicy bit will drag or somebody making some really new observation will bring things up to the top. But no guarantees people will be as interested in chapters they read weeksago as in the chapters they just read, and not sure if it might not make things confusing. But the most interesting bits of AFFC are probably towards the end, when do you think you could join? This read would drag till May if we make no pauses other than Christmas.

welcome as well, ladysoftheart.

welcome as well, ladysoftheart.

Thank you very much - I used to be on the now-defunct old board, but unfortunately, I don't remember my username from there as I gave up on the series ever being completed sometime in the year 2003 ;) But I DO remember your posts - particularly Sam as Aegon Targaryen! (Which I hope does not make me sound creepy and stalkerish!)

I can see arguments for both ways of organsing, so I don't really mind. It would certainly be easier to track themes are happenings to particular characters if we organise by character, but easier to keep track of the re-read over all if organised by week. Also, if we go by character - where does the Prologue fit in? As pointed out, it has more in common with the Sam chapters than anything else, so perhaps it would need to be included as part of them? Then again, it has some Dornish links too. So hmm.

Ah, of course, Marwyn thanks for explaining it, was not seeing what chapter was exactly. Yep, good idea, let us put prologue with Sam´s chapters instead if we go that way.

And I got yet another suggestion, if we split by week threads, that would mean 23 threads, what if we go even further and suggest a different chapter for each character? On the old board we had to use an existing forum and few threads made it less likely to bother others and easy to find, but here we got our brand new shiny new subforum, dunno....

So what do we do? any good arguments? If we start monday we need to decide.

Oh, and an extra point, if we start the reread however many threads we start for the reread let us ID any thread with AFFC reread? Just in case :D later anybody wants to do other rereads and we recycle the subforum.

Let's see if I got it right. (Concreteness is such a wonderful way of exposing dissent.)

The threads will be:

Sam: Prologue, Samwell I-V

Ironborn: The Prophet, The Kraken's Daughter, The Iron Captain, The Drowned Man, The Reaver

Dorne: The Captain of the Guards, The Soiled Knight, The Queenmaker, The Princess in the Tower

Cersei: Cersei I-X

Brienne: Brienne I-VIII

Arya Arya I-II, Cat of the Canals

Jaime Jaime I-VII

Sansa Sansa, Alayne I-II

I'm fine with the thread-by-POV way of doing the reread.

BTW, I just realised that only members can read this forum (as I tried to read it without being logged in). Why is that?

I don´t know Lupigis, we can try checking with ran.

HE, thanks that is just it! So far proposals seem to be

Option A - what Lupigis listed above, threads for

Sam: Prologue, Samwell I-V

Ironborn: The Prophet, The Kraken's Daughter, The Iron Captain, The Drowned Man, The Reaver

Dorne: The Captain of the Guards, The Soiled Knight, The Queenmaker, The Princess in the Tower

Cersei: Cersei I-X

Brienne: Brienne I-VIII

Arya Arya I-II, Cat of the Canals

Jaime Jaime I-VII

Sansa Sansa, Alayne I-II

Option B - 23 threads for

Week 1 Prologue + Aeron ( The Prophet)

Week 2 Areo +Cersei

Week 3 Brienne + Samwell 1

etc

Option C - thread for each chapter

Thread 1 - Prologue

Thread 2 - Aeron ( The Prophet)

Thread 3- Areo (The Captain of the Guards)

etc

So far option A seems like the best choice, anybody else having a preference? I have not checked with ran if he has any restrictions about number of threads or thread size, will do it now.

Archived