How will they condense FFC and DWD into Season 5? (book spoilers)

tblackjacks

It seems like Season 5 will officially cover Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in its entirety, and I can see them fitting most of the already introduced characters' stories into one season, but how will they fit Victarion Greyjoy and Euron Greyjoy into the season? What about Aegon? I'm pretty sure these are absolute necessities to put in the show, but it doesn't look like they're looking for cast members for these story lines or anything. Maybe they'll fit them into Season 6 and the Winds of Winter storyline?

My guess:

- No Ironborn

- No Arianne, the dorne storyline will be very short and just be a precursor to Dorne supporting Dany

- Trystane replaces Quentyn

- No Aegon and JonCon

- Jaime is sent to Dorne to rescue Myrcella and he likely fails and goes back home. Boring.

- Theon's storyline from ADwD is completely axed and in S5 he will just follow Ramsay around as the Boltons do their thing. Yara later rescues him and they end up being rescued by Stannis.

- Brienne will either be killed off or end up doing an original/TWoW storyline.

- Most of Tyrion's storyline will be compressed or changed

- Much of the actual focus of the season will be in watching Cersei's downfall and stuff at and beyond the wall. With a few scenes of Arya and glimpses of Sansa's TWoW (or an original) storyline.

Seems doable in 10 episodes.

My guess:

- No Ironborn

- No Arianne, the dorne storyline will be very short and just be a precursor to Dorne supporting Dany

- No Aegon and JonCon

- Jaime is sent to Dorne to rescue Myrcella and he likely fails and goes back home. Boring.

- Theon's storyline from ADwD is completely axed and in S5 he will just follow Ramsay around as the Boltons do their thing. Yara later rescues him and they end up being rescued by Stannis.

- Much of the actual focus of the season will be in watching Cersei's downfall and stuff at and beyond the wall. With a few scenes of Arya and glimpses of Sansa's TWoW (or an original) storyline.

At least we know Tyrion won't be riding a pig.

My guess:

- No Ironborn

- No Aegon and JonCon

I hope not! but anything can happen. If they can cut Arianne Martell then i think they will also over simplify this arc :crying: (even though this is the best arc in ADWD, IMO)

My guess:

- No Ironborn

- No Aegon and JonCon

Aside from the Theon changes, Trystane replacing Quentyn (just abandon that plotline altogether imo) and wanting more screentime for Sansa & Arya that is how I would adapt AFFC/ADWD.

Rereading it Cersei's scenes are very interesting, a clear follow on from ASOS themes, and will translate well to the screen.

Theon has a great book storyline and some great supporting characters so it would be tragic to lose that.

My predictions...

I think the two big storylines are:

1. Jon and Stannis at the wall, Jon's rise and fall
  2. Cersei's fall, including Tyrell plotting

And I think these will be major:

1. A modified version of the Dorne storyline focused on Trystane trying to get Myrcella crowned and sand snakes doing sand-snakey things (Jaime fits into this one)
  2. Dany delivering soundbites in very dramatic fashion until Tyrion shows up/Tyrion making his way to her in shorter order than in the books and with many cuts along the way
  3. I think they will do some version of the fArya/Winterfell wedding, because they've put a lot of focus on Theon and Ramsay and how important it is to Ramsay to be part of his father's political ambitions, and also because it ties into Jon's storyline
  4. Arya getting faceless

I think that's all the room they've got for big stories with big screentime, which means they've already got major characters--Sansa, Littlefinger, Bran--and minor fan favorites--Brienne--with smaller stories that'll have to fit tightly in between. I think we can rule out having space for major additions the TV audience knows nothing about, which means no Greyjoys, no Young Griff. Unless the latter is meant to be the victor, in which case they'll have to shoehorn him in at someone else's expense. (I hope Dany's.)

I think 6 would be fine for dany. I noticed that emila Clarke is starting to get more critism and they need to relax her for a season. I am stilled annoyed with Stannis and the iron bank but whatever its done now. I agree arya will be fun. Kl should still get 4. Sansa might be better off with only 2 or 3. They have so mmuch in the north to catch up on. Bran will also be interesting. I don't think we are ggoing to get all of danys big moments either. The pit is most likely

No way in hell that Dany is only going to be in 6 epsiodes. She will be in 8 and even possibly 9 next season. I also think you will see Tyrion get to Meereen faster on the show including by the end of the season meeting up with Dany. Also, Sansa appearing in only 2 or 3 episodes is just nuts especially with her new storyline that a lot of the unsullied viewers eemed to like, so I'd expect atleast 7 episodes for her as well.

Rereading it Cersei's scenes are very interesting, a clear follow on from ASOS themes, and will translate well to the screen.

I started to get a bit bored with the emphasis on KL in S4, but I think Cersei's plotline will be one of my favourite next year; she'll grow increasingly isolated and paranoid, and then start to clash with the new High Septon. And it looks like the Walk is definitely happening.

I really hope Kevan is back but as time goes on I'm starting to think he won't be because at this point he won't have a lot left to do. And it will probably emphasise how alone Cersei is (not that he was a great ally to her in the books, but he was still more on her side than most of the others in KL).

Qyburn's storyline might be really juicy as well. I like that Cersei's "patron of the (dark) arts" role has already been established, and he has already commandeered Ol' Pycelle's lab. :eek:

Some storylines will be saved for season 6. For example, Jaime's storyline in season 5 will be about his deteriorating relationship with Cersei and he'll also be used (along with Bronn) to introduce viewers to Dorne. When season 6 comes along he'll go to the Riverlands and meet Brienne because their cliffhanger from the books wouldn't work in the show.

I'm sure the Ironborn storyline won't be entirely cut. They've had Daario take the Meereenese navy to bypass the need for Victarion at the battle but they can still bring in Euron later. In the books, Victarion is necessary as a POV so we can see what happens but in the show that isn't needed. Euron will be saved for when he has a bigger impact. He's had one scene in the books so far. That wouldn't work in the show.

No way in hell that Dany is only going to be in 6 epsiodes. She will be in 8 and even possibly 9 next season. I also think you will see Tyrion get to Meereen faster on the show including by the end of the season meeting up with Dany. Also, Sansa appearing in only 2 or 3 episodes is just nuts especially with her new storyline that a lot of the unsullied viewers eemed to like, so I'd expect atleast 7 episodes for her as well.

3 things that have been said about the new season- More stannis and the wall, expect a lot of dorne, and the faith. I don't see how you can fit all of that in with sansa in 7 episodes or daenerys in 9. we have 10 hours of tv. So I figure the first episode alone will be reactions to tywins death, a 15 minutes of dorne and 15 minutes of stannis. We have aryas storyline as well.... No way sansa or dany gets that amount of screen time. It just isn't plausible.

Some storylines will be saved for season 6. For example, Jaime's storyline in season 5 will be about his deteriorating relationship with Cersei and he'll also be used (along with Bronn) to introduce viewers to Dorne. When season 6 comes along he'll go to the Riverlands and meet Brienne because their cliffhanger from the books wouldn't work in the show.

I'm sure the Ironborn storyline won't be entirely cut. They've had Daario take the Meereenese navy to bypass the need for Victarion at the battle but they can still bring in Euron later. In the books, Victarion is necessary as a POV so we can see what happens but in the show that isn't needed. Euron will be saved for when he has a bigger impact. He's had one scene in the books so far. That wouldn't work in the show.

I agree some story lines will be parked however season six will need to cover Winds of Winter too, and while I am sure D&D broadly know the book content before it's published pulling too much in from AFFC/ADWD may cause a car crash further down the line.

Also in response to the above I am not expecting to see Dorne until episode 2. In my view the first episode we will see the aftermath of Tywin's death, some stuff at the wall, Dany and also Arya. Episode 2 will then be Jamie and Bronn on the way to Dorne and much more focused down there.

Reportedly, Euron has been cast, so we could see some shorter version of the Ironmen story. I still think they might send Yara to Slaver's Bay instead of Victarion, thus giving her something to do instead of being a captive. Of course, they could always put Dagmer Cleftjaw ahead of the Iron Fleet, it's actually easier.

Aegon will most probably be absent, which ties in with the absence of Arianne Martell. Instead, Tyrion meets Jorah Mormont (maybe in Volantis) and they continue to Meereen.

I expect the King's Landing storyline to be shortened, and maybe we will go into TWOW territory, since Obara, Nymeria and Tienne Sand have been cast. To remind, Nymeria is supposed to take Oberyn's place on the Small Council.

Daenarys's story in Meereen will be shortened, and I hope we see the battle for Meereen in season 5. After all, if there are more big battles in the books, better spread them more evenly.Besides, that battle was originally planned to be in ADWD, if I remember correctly.

Jon has indeed the most story left, but you can easily cut most of the stuff about quarrels in the Night's Watch. To be fair, Jon's story isn't that intense in ADWD, so if that was all there was, it wouldn't be enough for an entire season.

The Dorne storyline will be different, but maybe not that different in the end, just different characters playing the same roles. After all, Jaime doesn't do that much in AFFC, it's mostly Cercei.

All this leaves room for Sansa, Arya and Bran, where I hope we go deeper into TWOW territory. Davos might appear, but mostly in the North.

All in all, I think they can easily condense the storylines. A lot will be cut, naturally, and most of it will be world building, but the main story will remain.

I think we'd have heard if it was the case.

The only tidbit of info we have about Iron Born is the GoT set tour-guide stating the production have already chosen a location for the Kingsmoot... and that's a very moot information.

I think we'd have heard if it was the case.

The only tidbit of info we have about Iron Born is the GoT set tour-guide stating the production have already chosen a location for the Kingsmoot... and that's a very moot information.

But if there's a Kingsmoot surely there need to be potential Kings?

I don't think Euron has been cast, however, Euron is the most likely of the Ironborn to be cast if they decide to, since he briefly appeared on one of the official GoT family tree guide things.

I think the writers were probably still debating whether to bring in Euron or not, and I guess we still don't know if he's been cut or not. I would bet on him being cut.

Euron was cast two seasons ago. Lol

I can't imagine AFFC and ADWD each getting a season. That would be horrible television. Hopefully David and Dan can fix what GRRM failed badly at for those two books.

Ouch- David and Dan have done an average job so far. Where I do feel like Martin pandered to much in AFFC and ADWD I have to admit as readers it gave us a lot more things to look for and added some more legendary characters. Arrianne is probably the best off woman in the series despite being filler. Sansa is getting smarter and will be the lead at the end ( despite my love for brienne's strenght I don't see her surviving past WOW) I gotta admit I lost faith in Daenerys story from a lit point of view. She suffors to much Luke Skywalker syndrome for my taste. It's the writer that failed her- not the other way around. Jon's story is at least gripping despite everyone and their mother knowing he isn't gone competely. Then we have more Stannis being the only monarch who isn't a complete idiot. (The rest of the monarchs are just dumb but Stannis didn't think this one all the way through). We also added Aegon which has become the most talked about of the new characters despite his arc being a quick one. Did ADWD and AFFC barely move the plot over the course of 3000 pages and six years? sure. However it did give us a wealth of scenarios and keep people guessing. If this story would have been a trilogy like he planned then Stannis would have died during Blackwater- Robb would have died during ACOK (the title would have made more sense) and then we would have had Joff vs daenerys which would have been the worst thing since Hobbit two: "Legolas does stuff while little funny people chase dragons".

Archived