What did you get spoiled?

#Turncloak

I got spoiled Ygritte's character with a "you know nothing, Jon Snow" image.

And I got mildly spoiled the Red Wedding, but I couldn't relate it to an specific moment. Some time after I read that chapter, I realised that the Red Wedding was the Frey-Tully wedding. No harm done fortunately :wideeyed:

I saw somewhere that Jon got stabbed to death. I heard that right before I started reading Feast. I went through the last 2 books just waiting for it to happen, but it seemed that someone was pulling my leg. I thought that it was a troll who just wanted to post random character deaths on facebook. I held my breath every time I read Jon's POV. I thought he was in the clear until the very last paragraph! I was so excited that he made it out alive, and then BOOM! Crushing blow! So even though it was spoiled, I was still speechless after that chapter!

This, so much this.

Thankfully, nothing that huge was spoiled for me. I started to read the books during season 3 because everyone was talking about it, and I knew something huge happened, but I didn't know what it was. Then I got to the rw about 4 days later and was like "so that's why the internet exploded".

The biggest thing that actually got spoiled was probably Arya still being alive after the rw. I finished the Cat chapter and immediately hit the internet, where I saw that Arya had more chapters, so I wasn't affected by "the ax took her in the back of the head".

Also, I found out about R+L=J and other theories online. I kind of wish I didn't know that so it would affect me more, but I guess it's too late. Ignorance is bliss.

Jon Snow stabbing, but the spoiler said he dies not that its left open. R+L=J. Also I was looking through TXE's excellent portraits before I finished reading a storm of swords. I saw LS but didn't read the comments so i didn't realize it was Cat. Thats also where the Snow stabbing was spoiled too.

I was first spoiled about the Sansa/Tyrion wedding, which was my own fault for going into a Sansa thread while reading ASOS. So I called my friend to complain, starting with "I just read the worst thing about he third book!" And his response was, of course, "Oh, you found out Robb dies?"

So then I was spoiled on the Red Wedding. It was still painful as hell when I had to read it myself - and I didn't know Catelyn would die too, which made it about thirty times worse.

Whichever way you go (from Book to TV, or vice versa), you'll encounter spoils. I decided to treat them as separate entities. Personally, I've enjoyed the books more because there's a lot going on that TV can't show in a season of 10 episodes. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the TV show. I've appreciated what a mammoth task the writers have faced.

Anyhow!

Rather than a 'what did you get spoiled', I'm throwing in what would spoil things for me.

(1) Jon is just Ned's bastard. (I'm not sure who he is, just yet. I have ideas.) It'd be a let-down.

(2) Dany to sit on the Iron Throne. (Em's blooper is great, btw.) She don't need it, especially as she's got a tender bum.

(3) Varys declares to Dany - "I.... am your.....' (Not the Darth reveal!)

(4) Petyr reveals to Sansa, it's Arya he really wants, just before they open Winterfell Mall.

It's not really a spoil but, re-casting a killed-off Lannister as Tommen. Really?

Hope new Myrcella works now.

Balancing act? The Stark Bunch. How the kids have grown, it's made the show better.

Roberts death, RLJ, and the fact that Ramsay hadn't died as was originally said in the books, and I was sort of spoiled on the fact that Jon would become LC. I was curius about Jon from Bran's first chapter in AGOT onwards, and while perusing the bit on him in the ASOIAF characters list on Wikipedia (I hadn't discovered AWOIAF yet), I came upon the last three.

First post. Yay!

Haven't seen the show. Just read all five books for the first time....in under a month! I have a lot of free time on my hands and I just couldn't put them down. The term 'page turner' was seemingly invented for this series. I'll need to re-read them with a more critical eye one of these days. I couldn't help but plow through them first time around. Anyway.....

The Red Wedding- I didn't know the details but I knew several popular characters died at a wedding. I (mostly) guessed right.

Then there are these hilarious in hindsight false spoilers.....

Jon Snow becomes King in the North (show, maybe?)- There was a guy with the username "King In The North" on another forum I frequent. I had no idea what it meant at the time. Yet for some reason I remembered another poster calling him "The Bastard Jon Snow" a few times so I just put 2 and 2 together and apparently came up with 5. There is a scene in one of the books where Catelyn and Robb talk about naming a KITN successor. I was convinced it would be Jon Snow.

Dany wins the Iron Throne in Book 4- I was browsing the library shelves (yes, I still frequent the library) before I had a real interest in the series and misread the back of A Dance With Dragons. It starts off with something like "Dany is the Queen of a city" but I misremembered it as "Dany is the Queen of Westeros."

snip/

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

You'll find a looooot of interesting stuff in here, from theories, crackpot theories, and things you didn't notice in your first, second, even third re-read. So enjoy yourself!

Talking about spoiling covers, can someone explain me how did a bunch of editors thought this was cool for a front cover?

My friend saw this cover outraged and asked me, and I had to lie to her and tell her it was a free style drawing, and that she wasn't spoiling herself just by looking at the book...

For those who may ask, the counter part of the cover ALSO spoils about a hidden prince...

The same guy spoilt both Ned's death and the red wedding for me. First he made an offhand comment about how Sean Bean always dies (using GoT as a reference). He didn't mention the character name, and I was reading the book, but it was easy enough to figure only Eddard could be played by Sean Bean.

Then he later was talking about the historical event the red wedding is based on, and then said how it was like in GoT... He didn't specifically say Robb, but I read the house of the undying chapter soon after, and 2 and 2 together.

Google suggestion spoiled Jon's stabbing for me. I was in the middle of reading ADWD when I thought, "that guy who plays Jon Snow on GOT is cute." So I went to Google to look at pics of Kit Harrington, but I didn't know his name back then, so I typed in "Jon Snow" instead and Google suggested: "Jon Snow death", "Jon Snow stabbed", followed by "Jon Snow is dead" and "Jon Snow actor" right at the bottom.

Watched season one then read the books so only spoiled GOT but as you all know its a good read because of all the extra information and background.

So glad that I didn't get spoiled as reading the build up chapters to the RW was simply brilliant I knew something sinister was going to happen but never expected that!!

Archived