Ser Jaime Lannister vs Prince Oberyn Martell

OllyS

Jaime. Oberyn's only feats are against comparably slow fighters; Yronwood and Clegane. Both are big and strong, but neither are of great repute in skill or speed, Martell's fighting style and weapon was the perfect foil for them, Jaime would beat him soundly, I don't think he'd even get poisoned.

Oberyn he is equipped with a big spear, which allows him to have more range than the sword of jaime. It will definitely be a good fight but I think the winner will get out of it Oberyn. :fencing:

Typically the sword is much better for duels than the spear. If the swordman is quick enough to close the gap and keep the pressure, the guy with the spear is at a severe disadvantage, it's a bad close range weapon.

The spear worked great against Gregor because he was so slow and Oberyn could keep dancing away. He could not have done that against Jaime who is noted for his speed. Oberyn probably wouldn't even have fought with a spear against Jaime, it's hinted that it was a chosen specifically because he was fighting Gregor, not because it was his all-purpose weapon.

People forget poison isn't Oberyn's only weapon, just a smart afterthought. He didn't even need it to kill the Mountain, he was beating him just fine before it was even taking effect. Until... you know... his head exploded.

As for the post: Impossible to say how good either of them really were. I believe in one of Barristan's POVs he remarks on how small shifts in the terrain or change in the wind can mean the difference between life and death or some such. I don't remember the exact quote, but it makes me think about what the real difference is in fighting capability between some of these characters. So with two characters so equally renowned for fighting, the ultimate deciding factor is who you like more. So, for me: Oberyn all the way. :fencing:

Typically the sword is much better for duels than the spear. If the swordman is quick enough to close the gap and keep the pressure, the guy with the spear is at a severe disadvantage, it's a bad close range weapon.

The spear worked great against Gregor because he was so slow and Oberyn could keep dancing away. He could not have done that against Jaime who is noted for his speed. Oberyn probably wouldn't even have fought with a spear against Jaime, it's hinted that it was a chosen specifically because he was fighting Gregor, not because it was his all-purpose weapon.

Right, but we have never seen Oberyn with a sword or other weapons.

And if he pulls the spear? What would happen?

Jaime would be able to dodge the spear?

I'll take Oberyn - the spear is mightier than the sword. And let us not forget that he defeated the Mountain, I doubt Jamie could do the same.

In book 3, Jamie Specifically states that even thuogh both Cleganes, and Robert are stronger than him, he could defeat them with skill and speed. Before he lost his hand of course.lol

That's a fight i wish i could see. Especially if it was on the show with two handed Jaime and the show/oberyn.

I don't know.... i wish i could say Jaime but the show did a lot of damage to his best of the best reputation and oberyn was badass in the mountain and the viper episode.

I guess it would depend on what weapon oberyn would wield. And even if Jaime won, he still would have died from poison days later because i highly doubt he would have being able to kill oberyn without getting scratched at least once.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaime. Oberyn's only feats are against comparably slow fighters; Yronwood and Clegane. Both are big and strong, but neither are of great repute in skill or speed, Martell's fighting style and weapon was the perfect foil for them, Jaime would beat him soundly, I don't think he'd even get poisoned.

People keep talking about Oberyn not having "skill" on his side and only beating people with the spear or with poison.

Are people forgetting the line in Storm about him forming his own sellsword company?

The amount of times he must have been challenged and or beat people in duels is probably countless. Not to mention the number of people he killed daily being a sellsword.

I can almost guarantee he used a sword many times depending on the opponent.

Compared to Jaime who has killed people only in a few wars. I don't even think they can be compared in experience.

Also lets not forget Oberyn's maester training he has a deep understanding of how the body works and how best to deal with each opponent.

Close fight but I have to give the Viper the nod in this one.

(p.s. he would probably use a sword vs Jaime not a spear.)

People keep talking about Oberyn not having "skill" on his side and only beating people with the spear or with poison.

Are people forgetting the line in Storm about him forming his own sellsword company?

The amount of times he must have been challenged and or beat people in duels is probably countless. Not to mention the number of people he killed daily being a sellsword.

I can almost guarantee he used a sword many times depending on the opponent.

Compared to Jaime who has killed people only in a few wars. I don't even think they can be compared in experience.

Also lets not forget Oberyn's maester training he has a deep understanding of how the body works and how best to deal with each opponent.

Close fight but I have to give the Viper the nod in this one.

(p.s. he would probably use a sword vs Jaime not a spear.)

Yes, he was the best of a company of Sellswords he formed,[or perhaps just the cleverest] and he was certainly familiar with a sword, how from this can we assume he was even close to the swordsman Jaime was? Is Brown Ben Plumm? Was Mero?

This is a man lauded by Barristan Semy himself, knighted by Arthur Dayne, a man who fought his way through an army and Vanguard to nearly slay Robb, a man who crossed blades with the Smiling Knight at just fifteen, a man known of from Dorne to the Wall as the single greatest still swordsman alive in Westeros bar perhaps Barristan the Bold. It's fallacious to place Oberyn on his level of swordsmanship simply because he was Captain of a Sellsword Company and had some experience.

Basically Oberyn's best chance is with a spear, he has no feats or praise to place him on a level with Jaime in swordsmanship and would still probably lose with a spear.

Yes, he was the best of a company of Sellswords he formed,[or perhaps just the cleverest] and he was certainly familiar with a sword, how from this can we assume he was even close to the swordsman Jaime was? Is Brown Ben Plumm? Was Mero?

This is a man lauded by Barristan Semy himself, knighted by Arthur Dayne, a man who fought his way through an army and Vanguard to nearly slay Robb, a man who crossed blades with the Smiling Knight at just fifteen, a man known of from Dorne to the Wall as the single greatest still swordsman alive in Westeros bar perhaps Barristan the Bold. It's fallacious to place Oberyn on his level of swordsmanship simply because he was Captain of a Sellsword Company and had some experience.

Basically Oberyn's best chance is with a spear, he has no feats or praise to place him on a level with Jaime in swordsmanship and would still probably lose with a spear.

So what your saying is that fighting in a total of 2 wars makes Jaime the greatest swordsman alive in Westeros?

I think more has to do with Jaime being a prodigy of shorts and showing such skill in tourneys and in the training yard.

Jaime is a great swordsman no doubt top 1% but we are not talking about a tourney or a chaotic battle field.

We are talking 1v1 and it is my option that Oberyn probably has much more experience in this regard leading a company of sellswords and probably fighting in countless duels when challenged by his own men or the enemy.

I am sure Oberyn was trained in all the traditional Westeros styles as a Prince of Dorne no less

He will know how to fight a traditional Westerosian knight like Jaime no problem but has also fought countless other styles from the free cities in his travels.

Like i said close fight think it can go either way just think most people are not giving Oberyn the credit he deserves. I could see the Viper winning more than Jaime though.

So what your saying is that fighting in a total of 2 wars makes Jaime the greatest swordsman alive in Westeros?

I think more has to do with Jaime being a prodigy of shorts and showing such skill in tourneys and in the training yard.

Jaime is a great swordsman no doubt top 1% but we are not talking about a tourney or a chaotic battle field.

We are talking 1v1 and it is my option that Oberyn probably has much more experience in this regard leading a company of sellswords and probably fighting in countless duels when challenged by his own men or the enemy.

I am sure Oberyn was trained in all the traditional Westeros styles as a Prince of Dorne no less

He will know how to fight a traditional Westerosian knight like Jaime no problem but has also fought countless other styles from the free cities in his travels.

Like i said close fight think it can go either way just think most people are not giving Oberyn the credit he deserves. I could see the Viper winning more than Jaime though.

That is not what I said at all... I gave you feats and examples of people who laud his skills.

Your basic premise that by virtue of being trained in Westerosi combat, [like every other lord in Westeros] and having experience puts him above a fighter who is probably in the top 0.1% of ASOIAF swordsman is fallacious.

GRRM outright states he is one of the best swordsman, everybody in continuity says so, and he has feats to back it up, Oberyn has not done anything to suggest he is on that level. As I've said, Rrunning a Sellsword company doesn't make you Daemon Blackfyre as I've already pointed out in the likes of Daario, Mero, BBP.

The problem with these threads is that there is (obviously) no way to know who would win in 1v1 situations. And it is true that a lot of things could influence a duel, so most of these kind of threads will be based on personal preference. If someone likes Oberyn he could give 10 valid reasons for his victory, but so could someone who likes Jaime. If we want to atleast try and look objectively all we can go by is their reputation in battle. And Jaime is a fucking legend. He is up there with Dayne and Selmy, people will remember him for hundreds of years to come. The Red Viper? Not so much.

Archived