Saddest moment. E V E R

SerKurt

"Are they ever coming back?" Bran asked him.

"Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you a horse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. "And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming; we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."

"An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

It's ten times worse on a reread

Barristan being stripped from the Kingsguard.

That saved him. At first read it was sad, but in hindsight anyone doubt he would have obeyed a point blank order from Joffrey to hit Sansa? The man simply cannot break a vow. With all this context (or is it subtext), this scene is Barristan's salvation so it's hard to feel very sad. Especially since the scene is mostly designed to have Barristan come off as a badass. How sa can you really feel, reading that?

Overall I'd go for the Red Wedding, although a different moment specifically than anyone else has said. I thought Cat pointlessly killing Jinglebell, one of the only truly innocent Freys, was the saddest moment.

Good catch. It's hardly something that is sad as it occurs because the Red Wedding is just so awful and you can't manage too much empathy for anyone beside Robb or Catelyn as you read. But as the dust settles and you stop to think about, how awful is it that the masterminds of the plot all come away unscathed from the bloodbath while the only Frey that you see die onpage during the chapter is completely innocent.

It's like:

'The Starks can only manage to kill only one Frey during the Red Wedding. Who do you hope to see die?'

'Lame Lothar, Black Walder, Walder Frey... BY THE SEVEN AND THE OLD GODS TOGETHER, MAKE IT WALDER FREY!'

'Tough luck, you get Jinglebell.'

'...Who?'

'The simpleminded fool who never hurt anyone.'

'And that's the story of how I became an atheist.'

"Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you a horse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. "And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming; we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."

"An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

Good catch, it's much more sad on reread for sure.

"Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldnt that surprise her, to see you a horse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brothers smile. "And afterward, well ride north to see the Wall. We wont even tell Jon were coming; well just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."

"An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robbs face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

Christ :( completely heartbreaking

"Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldnt that surprise her, to see you a horse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brothers smile. "And afterward, well ride north to see the Wall. We wont even tell Jon were coming; well just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."

"An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robbs face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

My poor, tragic Bran :crying:

Archived