Point as to why Arya would even want to be a Faceless man?

Wavey Sauce

Like most recruiters, Jaqen lied.

Old Army joke: How can you tell when a recruiter's lying? Simple, his lips are moving.

Arya's arc in Braavos is giving us background info on Varys. That's my theory anyway. Her training also gives House Stark a potential spy/assassin if they ever need one, in addition to the leader (Jon, if he lives), the diplomat/gamer (Sansa), the greenseer/wizard (Bran) and the wild scary one (Rickon). If the pack can come back together they'll be unstoppable.

What about Varys do you think was learned? I know it can be proved he was in Essos a good amount of time never sure about Bravoss, care to explain?

Sorry to go off topic, but what's the "7 Stark family" theory?

The faith of the 7 the 7 Gods theory

Ned- Father

Cat- Mother

Robb-Warrior

That whole one how each member can be matched up to one of the 7, many say bran/rickon is the blacksmith or whatever, I forget the exact matchups that people say

As long as Jon lives she will be be tied to Westeros. If she hears about the assassination attempt then she will come back immediately.

Bran/Rickon or even her mom now Lady Stoneheart who is running around killing people, all of them could still tie her to Westeros or even more so those who have wronged her or her hated ones like Cersei.

She didnt remember or think of Ned or her Mom when they were both easily put in position for her to remember them but she did remember someone when it came to someone who wronged her in the past and her mind clicked then while she went and leads him off to kill him quick and them gets back into play character right after

She admired Jaqen and wanted to be like him.

I think she's there because she wants to be there. She was given other options and could have told the KM what she wanted.

She could have had an apprenticeship with a merchant. She was always good at sums. There was opportunity there. Some liked to compare her to Elaena Targaryen. Well, she passed up that opportunity.

As Cat of the Canals she was in a place of relative stability, she had a family to live with, she had friends, she was making money. She could have had a life. The KM told her a small life would be good for her and she could be Cat forever but she said no. She's fine for being normal on her off days but she didn't want to give up killing.

Now some will say she would have had to give up being Arya Stark if she did that. Surely she has less of a choice if she stays with the FM. They will ask far more of her and we still don't know how easy it will be for her to leave. It's possible she knows too much now. If they decide to hunt her she can never go home unless she wants to guarantee death and possibility the death of family members if they get in the way.

If she wanted to learn to be better she could have asked the KM how can she train to be a water dancer since she likes it so much. A few lessons with Syrio wouldn't even make her average. She would need to train for years from childhood. & yet she would rather have the FM's training.

& Jaqen only said she can kill those she hates on the show. In the books the KM specifically says she can't. Jaqen told her what good is life and what good is death. If the day comes that she would come and find him again go to Braavos with the coin. He didn't say she can kill those she hates.

She could learn to kill those she hates somewhere else. The FM also aren't the only assassins. You have to sacrifice more.

Also, there was no mention of forget who you are. You have to leave it in the past though. Arya asked Jaqen if he would kill his father and Jaqen said if she knew his name yes meaning that he never forgot who he was. That's not possible anyways without amnesia, dementia, or if they had some spell and there was no mention of her needing a spell to forget.

On the kill those she hates well what about the fact that training takes years? She still hasn't learn the principle thing that makes the FM who they are or what separates them from the others. Their ability to change their face. She hasn't even learned glamor yet. If she leaves now as so many want that eliminates many theories that are based on her taking someone's face since she does not know how to do it herself.

Anyways I mentioned that because as an example while she was trying to get to a destination she never got to someone else was busy killing some of the people on her list-Gregor and Joffrey. The same thing applies to while she is in Braavos. It's not out of the realm of possibility that her list is done by the time she gets to Westeros. They're not going to wait around until she's ready. & she will have had nothing to do with the Boltons or Tywin because the latter has already been dealt with and she's busy training in Braavos while there's an army about to deal with the Boltons. As for the Freys she says she'll kill them all but maybe she'll realize once she meets Dany that she's only learning one person kill not mass murder kill. That's something Dany and Tywin are capable of. Without an army if she has a mass amount of people she wants to get revenge on there's a limited amount she can do. The whole wolf pack storming a castle thing is a good way for most or all of Nymeria and her pack to be killed. She also has never learned tactics and barely does any long term planning so that also limits the revenge. Yet she seems to not think about this.

Arya's a broken and bitter young girl, she is fuelled by rage and a thirst for vengeance at this point and has absolutely no empathy for anyone anymore. Which she probably feels makes her a perfect fit for the Faceless Men, when in fact it's quite the opposite - they need her to be completely emotionally detached and give up all of her past life and identity.

It's not true that she has no empathy. If she didn't then she wouldn't care who harmed the Starks or about them at all. Whatever suffering they have then it wouldn't matter to her. She had empathy for the Sailor's wife and she helped Sam for no reason. She was also able to relate to friends in Braavos.

@Arya-Nym

To the comment about Jaquen said should she ever need to find him again.

So do you think that "Jaquen" is one of the people that she is dealing with in the house of the FM? Also for the show was just announced yesterday the actor who played Jaquen will be back for season 5, just something thought I would kick in.

But correct in book and show he does say "if ever need to find me again".

Was pretty sure though he did discuss with her that if she wanted to be able to kill others who have wronged her or her family she would need the proper training etc, or did that part not occur at all book wise?

@Arya-Nym

To the comment about Jaquen said should she ever need to find him again.

So do you think that "Jaquen" is one of the people that she is dealing with in the house of the FM? Also for the show was just announced yesterday the actor who played Jaquen will be back for season 5, just something thought I would kick in.

But correct in book and show he does say "if ever need to find me again".

Was pretty sure though he did discuss with her that if she wanted to be able to kill others who have wronged her or her family she would need the proper training etc, or did that part not occur at all book wise?

After he changed his face she said show me I want to do it too. He said if you would learn you must come with me. There was no mention of killing those she hates until the KM specifically told her that if that is what she wants the FM are not for her.

The show may be only doing that because of his popularity if they are. Jaqen in the books is at the Citdael.

After he changed his face she said show me I want to do it too. He said if you would learn you must come with me. There was no mention of killing those she hates until the KM specifically told her that if that is what she wants the FM are not for her.

The show may be only doing that because of his popularity if they are. Jaqen in the books is at the Citdael.

I def need to read back about her convos with the KM, cause still seems overall that her overall goal from going to Bravoss was to be the silent killer she has always wanted to be

Yes he is now "pate"

But I asked what do you make of the part of........if you ever need to find me again/need my help again, give this coin to any man in Bravoss.....?? Or did he not say anything like that at all? Damn its been so many years from that book but was pretty sure he implied him in specific

I love Arya, don't get me wrong, but I can't shake this either.

She is like a friggin' superhero sometimes. It's why people love her.

But I have to be honest

The FM are the FM. They haven't been around such a long time and are that powerful for any old reason.

They're good. I mean, really good.

So, I think because they are her pov's and due to literary necessity, we are left out of it, and left to ponder but...

Now, I'm not saying I'm right or I haven't flip-flopped, and some are feels/hunches:

1. I am not sure that they don't already know about Needle. That she refused to get rid of it and buried it. Like she isn't being watched...

2. I think they know she is a warg. I can't guarantee it to myself that they don't know, in general, a bit more about her than we thought or know.

3. They might know she is a Stark. This I am less sure of.

I really don't think they 100% have faith that she is broken in yet. And sometimes I'm not sure they care.

I don't think it will be easy, but her leaving won't be impossible. I think it will be out of her hands and it works out somehow. I see some sort of twist with the leadership and they let her go or want her to jet, like fast. Jaqen, maybe, back in the picture and I think he is loyal to her, she saved his life. Yeah, he paid his debt, but that is a big one between two people. I just feel more secure knowing that she knows one that can "put in the old, good word for her." Which could mean absolutely crap, but it makes me feel better. Or there is so much coming, Others, dragons, war, the Citadel crap, and they just don't track her, because they have bigger fish to fry.

And yet I don't see a scenario where it can be anything other than a clean break down the road. I don't want, for example, DOS to end and she is at Winterfell or Storm's End married to Gendry and she has to worry that the FM are pissed she left and want their revenge. :cool4:

Joking, but it has to be where she is not looking over her shoulder the rest of her life.

Before Weisel Soup, Arya prayed “Help me you old gods,” she prayed silently.” Help me get those men out of the dungeon so we can kill Ser Amory, and bring me home to Winterfell. Make me a water dancer and a wolf and not afraid again, ever.

Seeing what Jaqen could accomplish and then later change before her own eyes, she feels that learning to be like him will help her to overcome the fear that she lived with at every moment. By going to Braavos, the time she spends with the Faceless give her the tools and skills that teach her how to overcome fear to do what needs to be accomplished. The Faceless also, treat her with kindness and a respect that she'd never known from the time she escaped from the Tower of the Hand.

In the Mercy Chapter, Arya still shows the dutiful, playful and witty persona that she showed at Winterfell. Arya loved the time she spent with Syrio and is evolving toward being like the person that helped her when things were most difficult, showing her an alternative type of life. The Braavosi in her life have been more like her family than any Stark but Jon.

@booknerd 2 I agree alot. I think they for sure know about needle, and they may view Arya as a special case. And I am almost certain they know she is a stark and Warg. Maybe their rules for here would be different or they are bsing just a little bit, but they all def seem to not miss a beat and know everything so hard to say, but I cant see the guild some how being pissed and going after her or something like that

edit- I also really think she will learn how to change faces before she would ever think about booking first

They do know it - she actually told the Kindly Man upon her arrival in the House of Black and White, though not without first trying to use every other name she'd had thus far.

Oh, crap.

Did I miss that?

I have to take another look.

Before Weisel Soup, Arya prayed “Help me you old gods,” she prayed silently.” Help me get those men out of the dungeon so we can kill Ser Amory, and bring me home to Winterfell. Make me a water dancer and a wolf and not afraid again, ever.

Seeing what Jaqen could accomplish and then later change before her own eyes, she feels that learning to be like him will help her to overcome the fear that she lived with at every moment. By going to Braavos, the time she spends with the Faceless give her the tools and skills that teach her how to overcome fear to do what needs to be accomplished. The Faceless also, treat her with kindness and a respect that she'd never known from the time she escaped from the Tower of the Hand.

In the Mercy Chapter, Arya still shows the dutiful, playful and witty persona that she showed at Winterfell. Arya loved the time she spent with Syrio and is evolving toward being like the person that helped her when things were most difficult, showing her an alternative type of life. The Braavosi in her life have been more like her family than any Stark but Jon.

While I agree about her whole witty persona in Bravoss, is what sort of creepy how neither her Father, Mother, brother, or some of her old hated people crossed her mind at all when a situation came up that should have reminded her of them. She was a whole new person with no past, but until she saw the 1 familiar face thats when she snapped in to memory for a quick bit. But was weird how even with the seeing dire wolf and all that she didnt even recall her Stark back ground.

But as some said that FM could have had a much bigger plan from her from the start and know she has a really big role to play in the future, hard to say

I love Arya, don't get me wrong, but I can't shake this either.

She is like a friggin' superhero sometimes. It's why people love her.

But I have to be honest

The FM are the FM. They haven't been around such a long time and are that powerful for any old reason.

They're good. I mean, really good.

So, I think because they are her pov's and due to literary necessity, we are left out of it, and left to ponder but...

Now, I'm not saying I'm right or I haven't flip-flopped, and some are feels/hunches:

1. I am not sure that they don't already know about Needle. That she refused to get rid of it and buried it. Like she isn't being watched...

2. I think they know she is a warg. I can't guarantee it to myself that they don't know, in general, a bit more about her than we thought or know.

3. They might know she is a Stark. This I am less sure of.

I really don't think they 100% have faith that she is broken in yet. And sometimes I'm not sure they care.

I don't think it will be easy, but her leaving won't be impossible. I think it will be out of her hands and it works out somehow. I see some sort of twist with the leadership and they let her go or want her to jet, like fast. Jaqen, maybe, back in the picture and I think he is loyal to her, she saved his life. Yeah, he paid his debt, but that is a big one between two people. I just feel more secure knowing that she knows one that can "put in the old, good word for her." Which could mean absolutely crap, but it makes me feel better. Or there is so much coming, Others, dragons, war, the Citadel crap, and they just don't track her, because they have bigger fish to fry.

And yet I don't see a scenario where it can be anything other than a clean break down the road. I don't want, for example, DOS to end and she is at Winterfell or Storm's End married to Gendry and she has to worry that the FM are pissed she left and want their revenge. :cool4:

Joking, but it has to be where she is not looking over her shoulder the rest of her life.

I would also love to know the FM rules where if they can kill if someone breaks off from them, or if they could still only kill if someone has paid them to kill her. Would love to know their actual break down on rules and what is allowed and what isnt, mainly when it comes to not finishing training to the 100% mark

... they may view Arya as a special case. And I am almost certain they know she is a stark and Warg. Maybe their rules for here would be different or they are bsing just a little bit, but they all def seem to not miss a beat and know everything so hard to say, but I cant see the guild some how being pissed and going after her or something like that

I suspect they do view her as a special case, but as some sort of prodigy at killing. She came to them as a girl who was for lack of a better word, "battle hardened"; the horrors of her life had burned the little girl out of her.

As well, she is immensely fierce and willful, cunning, quick to learn, and very skilled for her age. (How many 9 or 10 year olds have already killed someone, much less several people?) If they were to wish for a perfect recruit, it would be someone like her.

Speaking of wishes, or more accurately prayers, we know they are religious, so in that context would they not see that Arya may also be some blessed by the Many Faced God, perhaps working the god's will in mysterious ways. For lack of a better word, it could be "destiny" that she came to their house to learn from them at all. If it could be so in her coming, perhaps it is also that way in regard to her going.

Archived