Point as to why Arya would even want to be a Faceless man?

Wavey Sauce

I suspect they do view her as a special case, but as some sort of prodigy at killing. She came to them as a girl who was for lack of a better word, "battle hardened"; the horrors of her life had burned the little girl out of her.

As well, she is immensely fierce and willful, cunning, quick to learn, and very skilled for her age. (How many 9 or 10 year olds have already killed someone, much less several people?) If they were to wish for a perfect recruit, it would be someone like her.

Speaking of wishes, or more accurately prayers, we know they are religious, so in that context would they not see that Arya may also be some blessed by the Many Faced God, perhaps working the god's will in mysterious ways. For lack of a better word, it could be "destiny" that she came to their house to learn from them at all. If it could be so in her coming, perhaps it is also that way in regard to her going.

I can see that, or they in general just think she has a higher purpose. maybe taking out Dany and her dragons or something of that nature, really hope with TWOW we get a much closer look into the inner workings.

Also question...........does anyone remember if she asked the KM or people in the FM if they knew who Jaquen was and they had no clue? Did that happen or am I mistaken,

Its been awhile I really do need to do a reread

Also question...........does anyone remember if she asked the KM or people in the FM if they knew who Jaquen was and they had no clue? Did that happen or am I mistaken,

Well, they stated that was not a name they knew, but played it off like his name was unimportant. (You can imagine why - it's likely that was not his real name anyway.) In any case, it was not too convincing that they had no idea who she meant; I think the Kindly Man just played dumb about it.

@booknerd 2 I agree alot. I think they for sure know about needle, and they may view Arya as a special case. And I am almost certain they know she is a stark and Warg. Maybe their rules for here would be different or they are bsing just a little bit, but they all def seem to not miss a beat and know everything so hard to say, but I cant see the guild some how being pissed and going after her or something like that

edit- I also really think she will learn how to change faces before she would ever think about booking first

I don't know if she will learn to change her face but at the very least she needs to stay long enough to get her face back. She doesn't have years and she has to learn glamor before she learns to change her face the FM way. The KM said it was mummery->glamor->then what the FM use that goes deeper.

Yes he is now "pate"

But I asked what do you make of the part of........if you ever need to find me again/need my help again, give this coin to any man in Bravoss.....?? Or did he not say anything like that at all? Damn its been so many years from that book but was pretty sure he implied him in specific

Well, Jaqen said he had promises to keep so he had to leave. So it could be that he intended to see Arya in Braavos later as she would have been an acolyte for several years.

Anyways, on their rules in ADWD it was the first time the KM did not say you lie you are Arya of House Stark and it was the first time she killed for them. It could be that her opportunity to leave w/o consequences was before that point but not after. We still don't know. But I don't think it makes sense that this organization has stayed secretive for centuries if their acolytes could just leave like that. What stopped them from talking? Surely another assassin organization or others could have learned from defected acolytes but we know they haven't since no others show the FM special skill. So they were silenced somehow.

While I agree about her whole witty persona in Bravoss, is what sort of creepy how neither her Father, Mother, brother, or some of her old hated people crossed her mind at all when a situation came up that should have reminded her of them. She was a whole new person with no past, but until she saw the 1 familiar face thats when she snapped in to memory for a quick bit. But was weird how even with the seeing dire wolf and all that she didnt even recall her Stark back ground.

But as some said that FM could have had a much bigger plan from her from the start and know she has a really big role to play in the future, hard to say

Don't worry. She is going back to Needle one day. She knew when she launched Joffrey's sword it wasn't coming back. She didn't do that with Needle. And Big Nyms is biding her time.

Even Superman gave it some time. Hung with Lois, went to a diner, and what do you know, back to the Fortress…lol!

"Speaking of wishes, or more accurately prayers, we know they are religious, so in that context would they not see that Arya may also be some blessed by the Many Faced God, perhaps working the god's will in mysterious ways. For lack of a better word, it could be "destiny" that she came to their house to learn from them at all. If it could be so in her coming, perhaps it is also that way in regard to her going." Quote by Pod the Impaler.

I friggin' hope so. This sounds good. Never thought of this as a possibility.

Plus, I think her breaking the rules ties back into Ned's warning. When he told her about wolf's blood leading to an early grave he was talking about her disobedience and willfulness. We still see that she is disobedient and does what she wants to do specifically when it pertains to violence. Ned said if she continues that way it would lead to her death. So if she continues to behave in a way where she doesn't care about consequences that could catch up to her in a fatal way.

Plus, I think her breaking the rules ties back into Ned's warning. When he told her about wolf's blood leading to an early grave he was talking about her disobedience and willfulness. We still see that she is disobedient and does what she wants to do specifically when it pertains to violence. Ned said if she continues that way it would lead to her death. So if she continues to behave in a way where she doesn't care about consequences that could catch up to her in a fatal way.

Hard to behave in a good way with all the shit she has been through, most of her close family dead or presumed dead, or being a captive. So keeping a young girl with a past like that sure as hell makes it hard to tame a chick like that

Don't worry. She is going back to Needle one day. She knew when she launched Joffrey's sword it wasn't coming back. She didn't do that with Needle. And Big Nyms is biding her time.

Even Superman gave it some time. Hung with Lois, went to a diner, and what do you know, back to the Fortress…lol!

I friggin' hope so. This sounds good. Never thought of this as a possibility.

This is what I was saying earlier about her being the "stranger"in the whole faith of the 7 crossing with the Starks, just by when she goes back to Westeros will be a stranger etc, just one of the things I feel can match that theory many say

I don't know if she will learn to change her face but at the very least she needs to stay long enough to get her face back. She doesn't have years and she has to learn glamor before she learns to change her face the FM way. The KM said it was mummery->glamor->then what the FM use that goes deeper.

Well, Jaqen said he had promises to keep so he had to leave. So it could be that he intended to see Arya in Braavos later as she would have been an acolyte for several years.

Anyways, on their rules in ADWD it was the first time the KM did not say you lie you are Arya of House Stark and it was the first time she killed for them. It could be that her opportunity to leave w/o consequences was before that point but not after. We still don't know. But I don't think it makes sense that this organization has stayed secretive for centuries if their acolytes could just leave like that. What stopped them from talking? Surely another assassin organization or others could have learned from defected acolytes but we know they haven't since no others show the FM special skill. So they were silenced somehow.

I guess the Jaquen being Pate in Oldtown could have taken place right after his final meeting with Arya, then he went to Bravoss being she was still with Hound etc for awhile.

Arya also doesnt seem to be the kind of person to run her mouth and give away secrets of the FM if she were to leave, whether or not they know that is unknown, but she sure is shit isnt a blabber and wouldnt give any of that info away to anyone as to where she has been

I guess the Jaquen being Pate in Oldtown could have taken place right after his final meeting with Arya, then he went to Bravoss being she was still with Hound etc for awhile.

Arya also doesnt seem to be the kind of person to run her mouth and give away secrets of the FM if she were to leave, whether or not they know that is unknown, but she sure is shit isnt a blabber and wouldnt give any of that info away to anyone as to where she has been

I don't think he's been back to Braavos yet. He's been in Westeros and is still there for some mission that may have to do with dragons.

They are an organization that has to protect their secrets regardless though. What if their acolytes met someone who forced them? How can they believe their acolytes won't tell especially one who has already broken the rules? They need guarantees. I can't believe that they have been able to last for as long as they have if they would be so careless to let anyone learn for as long as they want and just leave. Also, their value depends upon the fact that they are better than everyone else. What helps make them better is that for example the Sorrowful Men don't have their advantages.

ETA: They also could have had someone ambitious who offered to sell the FM secrets after being allowed to leave. But we know this hasn't happened. They made sure of it somehow.

What about Varys do you think was learned? I know it can be proved he was in Essos a good amount of time never sure about Bravoss, care to explain?

Look at what Arya's been learning.

Get around in the dark with no light.

Pick up and retain info even if you think it's meaningless.

Change appearance.

Change voice.

Lie convincingly.

Take on another personality so well that you can fool everyone around you.

Navigate unfamiliar places.

Knowledge of poisons.

Kill, in a variety of ways, without getting caught.

Now look at the skill set Varys has. See any similarities?

Arya's arc in Braavos could be giving us an important piece of the puzzle that is Varys, in a way that avoids a massive info-dump or monologue.

The answer is really quite simple, I think. Arya has adapted herself to the life of the lower class. All the family she could have hoped to rely on are dead, so a crust of bread and a bed are the best she can hope for. She has learned to rely on herself. The Faceless Men have plenty of good food and they don't beat her without a good reason, that makes them 'safe' to someone in her position. Also, they teach her things. So they pay her a 'wage' of sorts...they teach her their secrets, in return she tries to be a good 'whatever they want her to be.'

But if she forgets who she is in total would she? Yes it does seem like she will become the "stranger" in the whole "7" stark family theory. But even when knowing that way she is learning that you cannot just go kill whomever you like, which is why I dont get why Jaquen told her that at first, when their rules forbid that, and due to the training that there is a real high % chance that you do forget past life for the most part (Or not care enough to think back)

Arya's a smart girl. She takes what she wants - she never does anything properly. She'll learn as much as she needs to learn and she'll somehow stop training and go from there. That's my best guess anyhow. Jaqen could've lied. Who knows George's plan for Arya? She might totally forget who she is and the horrors of her past - it would certainly mean that the suffering would end for Arya if that were to happen. We'll see.

Well, they stated that was not a name they knew, but played it off like his name was unimportant. (You can imagine why - it's likely that was not his real name anyway.) In any case, it was not too convincing that they had no idea who she meant; I think the Kindly Man just played dumb about it.

But it did come off that they know the person she got the coin from? If you remember by chance?

Many people not in the FM do know who they are though, even early on Little Finger offers to just hire a FM to take care of Dany.

Especially in Bravoss isnt it pretty well known that guild, or at least something like that exists? Jaquen had no trouble bringing up what a "FM" was compared to a Water Dancer

Change appearance.

Change voice.

Lie convincingly.

Knowledge of poisons.

Arya's arc in Braavos could be giving us an important piece of the puzzle that is Varys, in a way that avoids a massive info-dump or monologue.

If anything reminds me a little more of what Varys "little birds" would be trained to do, about sneaking and knowing that information is more important etc

Arya thinks it will give her the skills she needs to avenge her family, and so on.

But let's not kid ourselves - a lot of it is because Arya thinks she has nothing left to live for. Mother, father, brothers all dead; sister who's hardly even family any more; half-brother is on the Wall so he's fated to stay there until he's dead too. She has no friends and is certain if she ever did they would leave her too. Even Winterfell is destroyed - sacked, burned, and occupied by the enemy.

So why not give up being Arya Stark of Winterfell and become a faceless killer ? She has nobody & nothing. Just a hole where her heart should be. :frown5:

I'd just add that however skilled she may become, she will never forget who she is. And she'll never go all the way into the order, she'll return to Westeros.

Change appearance.

Change voice.

Lie convincingly.

Knowledge of poisons.

Don't forget Varys was a trained Mummer, too.

I'd just add that however skilled she may become, she will never forget who she is. And she'll never go all the way into the order, she'll return to Westeros.

Why do you think the Order wouldn't value a high ranking member of the Westeros nobility/royalty?

So much easier to reach out and touch someone when you have a powerful contact.

Archived