First chapter, Pate POV, why?

Jonsnowisntdead

I was frustrated when reading FFC that GRRM introduces a new character in the first chapter and he immediately dies. Being the first POV in the book, it has to be important.

So who do you think the man was (that pate stole the key for, was poisoned by)? What is the significance of the key?

After re reading the chapter, i still have no idea. He's described as having stubble and a scar on the cheek.

A character previously encountered has been described as having a hooked nose and curly black hair.

Jaqen H'ghar wears long hair with one side colored white and the other red. The man later changes his appearance to a hook-nosed man with a scar, a gold tooth, and black curly hair.

Indeed, the two character descriptions match very well. Assuming you've finished the book:

The FM that stole the key and killed Pate, most definitly the person we know as "Jaqen", pops up later in the book as well.. as Pate, who has obviously died in the Prologue, and thereby confirming that The Alchemist was indeed an FM, who stole Pate's face after he had killed Pate. That shows that Jaqen doesn't need an object.. He has the key, he has the disguise, he has been at the Citadel for months when we see him again.. Whatever object he wants, he could have taken it long time ago.. Suggesting that perhaps he wants/needs something more.. Perhaps information that isn't in a book, and is passed on from person to person by telling people only?

As to being the first POV... Will was a first POV, the very first POV ever. He died at the last page of his POV chapter.

Cressen was the first POV of Clash.. He also died in his chapter

Chett was the first POV of Storm.. He survived, but died off page and was never seen again in another chapter.

Being a Prologue (or an Epilogue) character, usually doesn't predict a lot of goods in your future... Though exceptions always exist.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated above the most POV characters in prologues and epilogues die. Also the epilogues and prologues are the first time they are being introduced, but they have an important role in the story:

- AGOT: Will introduces us to the Night's Watch and the Others who are seen as the biggest threat of Westeros.

- ACOK: Maester Cressen gives us a better introduction to Stannis and Melissandre and the faith of the R'hollor

- ASOS: Chett shows us that the Others and Wights are on the Fist of the First Men and on a killing spree, they need to do that, they also show us that they're are thensions in the Night's Watch and they want LC Mormont gone.

- AFFC: Pate shows us where Jaquen H'gar is.

I think all POV characters show us something important about the story, so Jaqen will play a more important role in the story than the role he had in ACOK.

• 1 month later...

There's a theory complaining about what Jaqen pretends to do in Oldtown which I think is very interesting. It says that Jaqen probably is searching for ways to kill dragons. I particularly believe it because every faceless man has a purpose, not to mention that Jaqen was arrested in Kings Landing (where the Targaryens used to live when they were on Iron Throne).

Archived