August 2014 reads

farseer2

I tried to find a plot summary of the third book, but the most I found was that

a very major character died off-screen. Was it Jehal? I hope so. In fact I hope they all die, they all suck.

It's been quite awhile since I read, but I'm sure he died onscreen. I think maybe it was a female dragon rider and she got poisoned by the dragons somehow... maybe.

Finished "Memory" by McMaster Bujold. Realised it's easier to read on the Kindle than to read a hardback, so "Cibola Burn" has to wait a bit more. Besides, Vorkosigan stuff if streamlined enough I can get through one of the novels in two days or so.

Anyways, found "Memory" really enjoyable, even though it's a bit disjointed and feels like a bridging novel.

Spoilers

Perhaps it's because I've always been very fond of some of the minor characters I didn't think got enough screen time, like Simon Illyan, Alys & Ivan Vorpatril and Duv Galeni. I mean sure, the resolution is super neat, but it also ties a lot of old threads together and launches Miles into his new career.

The Illyan - Alys romance was fun as well since Miles is so painfully unaware for so long. Plus both Alys and Illyan have been orbiting Miles and Ivan like hawks for ages. It feels like packing them off and retiring them is a nice step to Miles actually growing up and growing into his own. He can no longer be an irresponsible kid buffeted by his older superiors as he is now the older superior.

Plus any novel where Cordelia shows up is a treat.

I finished Avengers vs. X-Men in a day and finished Sourcery this afternoon at lunch, I thought both books were very good.

I thought I would be beginning one book but instead I received Angry Optimist, a biography of Jon Stewart, via Goodreads First Reads book in the mail when I got home. Thus it automatically became the next book I'm to read just 2.5 hours before Eisenhower by Paul Johnson came to my front door via Goodreads First Reads. So my next two books are already decided, don't know if I'll finish another book by Sunday night, but I'm going to do by best to.

Year-long reading update:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I finished Macbeth last night and it's as excellent as I remember it! Starting Antony and Cleopatra tonight.

Just finished The shadow throne. Really liked it just like The thousand names. I can't wait for the third book.

I started Cibola burn. Already 50 pages in and I am already having fun just like the other Expanse books. I really hope they make this series into a tv/movie adaptation :).

Better than Half a King?

I really liked Half a King, especially the PoV of Yarvi. But in Half the World we get Brand and Thorn PoV's, which is different, but still pretty good. It was really interesting to see Yarvi through the eyes of others. A strong sequel, I'd say.

Archived