Ravens

Lord Highland

An interesting possibility:

I was thinking about ravens and how they play such an important role, seemingly impartially and without much risk. Of all the animals in Asoiaf, none are as reliable as the ravens. Even dragons, although they seem very intelligent, are very difficult to train and control.

So, could the ravens have something to do with magic? Someone suggested Jeor's crow was Bloodraven, the same could be true for ravens. If they are, or used to be wargs, or are magically enhanced in any way, the source of this magic could be or become very powerful (Varys could be in this, for example).

There's a popular theory that all Citadel ravens are descendants if CotF-warged ravens and they have some CotF gene in them making them more intelligent.

And btw, dragons are idiotic.

Drogon: Why doesn't mom care about me? Oh there's some sheep that belongs to mom's people. Nice, should eat some. Oops, ate a little girl. Oh, whatever mom will still love me.

(Failed attempts to chain Drogon)

Drogon: Why does Mom hate me? I'm gonna roast mom so I can eat her.

There's a popular theory that all Citadel ravens are descendants if CotF-warged ravens and they have some CotF gene in them making them more intelligent.

And btw, dragons are idiotic.

Drogon: Why doesn't mom care about me? Oh there's some sheep that belongs to mom's people. Nice, should eat some. Oops, ate a little girl. Oh, whatever mom will still love me.

(Failed attempts to chain Drogon)

Drogon: Why does Mom hate me? I'm gonna roast mom so I can eat her.

Oh so it is just a shark with wings, instinctive?

Even in the real world ravens are one of the most intelligent species alive, but I do believe in this setting there is a bit of magic about them as well.

It would be a nice twist for me if they somehow help the fight against the Others, being the opposite of what people associate them with (harbingers of death/doom).

Someone suggested Jeor's crow was Bloodraven

Remember that with Bloodraven we're talking about 1000 eyes. If we're to be believed, he controls multiple ravens (presumably not simultaneously). So anytime you read about a raven doing anything unusual, you have to start wondering whether that's Bloodraven behind the controls.

An interesting possibility:

I was thinking about ravens and how they play such an important role, seemingly impartially and without much risk. Of all the animals in Asoiaf, none are as reliable as the ravens. Even dragons, although they seem very intelligent, are very difficult to train and control.

So, could the ravens have something to do with magic? Someone suggested Jeor's crow was Bloodraven, the same could be true for ravens. If they are, or used to be wargs, or are magically enhanced in any way, the source of this magic could be or become very powerful (Varys could be in this, for example).

Not to mention that in winter they make for tasty meat to be cooked on a spit.

Seriously now.

Bloodraven wasn't said to have a thousand eyes for naught, I think. It's well probably that he warged quite a number of ravens.

But I don't believe they are particularly magically creatures.

The idea I have of their relationship with the CoTF is pretty similar to the relationship among Elves and Ents: CoTF tamed, taught and raised these birds.. plus used them through warging.

So they have grown a strong bond and understanding of each other, nothing more nothing less.

Yeah, I think BR has warged Mormont's raven especially. It's an unusually smart raven in that it apparently even knows how to destroy wights ("burn! burn!"). But I also think we see other ravens which have been warged at other times, too.

Remember that in Westeros the ravens used to speak. With the return of magic, they could start speaking again. And it could be very interesting learning what they have to say. Hmm...another way to find out about Jon's true parentage?

I want to see a raven talk to Cersei. That would freak her out, especially if the bird won't talk in front of anyone else. I'm a big fan of things that would freak Cersei out. :D

Remember that in Westeros the ravens used to speak. With the return of magic, they could start speaking again. And it could be very interesting learning what they have to say. Hmm...another way to find out about Jon's true parentage?

I want to see a raven talk to Cersei. That would freak her out, especially if the bird won't talk in front of anyone else. I'm a big fan of things that would freak Cersei out. :D

O the gossip that those animals shall know.. !

You know, I can totally picture such a "A raven talks to Cersei but to no one else and now no one believes her" scenario.. It's priceless!

See now you've put this idea out into the universe and I really need to see it come to something...

It's not just ravens, though. Animals of all kinds seem to show up at the oddest times. There's a dog in the throne room suddenly as Joffrey lay dying. There's a seagull at the Kingsmoot squawking away. And that black tomcat in the Red Keep has apparently been their since the Mad King days. Very odd.

It's not just ravens, though. Animals of all kinds seem to show up at the oddest times. There's a dog in the throne room suddenly as Joffrey lay dying. There's a seagull at the Kingsmoot squawking away. And that black tomcat in the Red Keep has apparently been their since the Mad King days. Very odd.

That's Balerion, the little cat that Princess Rhaenys owned. He has been annoying Lannisters ever since the Sack :D

I do find it odd that Mormont's Raven started to say new things after Jon showed up and even Jeor seemed surprised about it when the bird has been with him for ages.Not to mention the bird is very talkative now and helped Jon get elected as Lord Commander.

I'm still waiting for one of them ravens to quoth "Nevermore!" C'mon GRRM, throw us a Poe bone, dude!

And yes, the Ravens are not simply trained birds.

Funny and a little off topic... Just reading Neil gaimans American gods and the protagonist asks a raven to say never more, and it just says 'fuck you.'

Anyways the idea that the citadels ravens have cotf inside them is a new one for me!

Archived