Random Thought: Jaime = J'aime = I love

Mal Malenkirk

Any francophone ever pointed out that 'I love' in french is written 'J'aime'

which is damn close to 'Jaime'?

In fact, a francophone shown 'Jaime' on a piece of paper and not made aware he should pronunce it as an english first name will likely pronunce it identically to 'J'aime/I love'

On purpose by GRMM? Think about all the things Jaime does for love. Just a random thought.

Any francophone ever pointed out that 'I love' in french is written 'J'aime'

which is damn close to 'Jaime'?

In fact, a francophone shown 'Jaime' on a piece of paper and not made aware he should pronunce it as an english first name will likely pronunce it identically to 'J'aime/I love'

On purpose by GRMM? Think about all the things Jaime does for love. Just a random thought.

Nope. Sorry.

And as far as I can recall Jaime has never done anything for love. Lust, yes. Glory, sure. Duty, you bet. Honor...honor is a new one for him.

Perhaps somewhere within him, Jaime has the potential of loving Brienne. But he's not quite to that point yet.

Oh come on. First of all, 'Think about all the things Jaime does for love' is an obvious call back, so don't be too litteral.

That said, Jaime loved Cersei, for sure. It was destructive but it was still love. He loved Tyrion, which is far more selfless and one of his saving graces. He undertook plenty of actions on the behalf of these two which culminated in his helping Tyrion escape.

In more general terms, he's a character that acts on his feelings, not his reasonings.

That said, Jaime loved Cersei, for sure. It was destructive but it was still love. He loved Tyrion, which is far more selfless and one of his saving graces. He undertook plenty of actions on the behalf of these two which culminated in his helping Tyrion escape.

But how much of his love for Tyrion comes from his guilt over what happened with Tysha?

But how much of his love for Tyrion comes from his guilt over what happened with Tysha?

Tyrion was 13 during the Tysha incident.

Jaime had been protecting him since he was born, as the anecdote Oberyn told Tyrion shows (When Cersei showed them Tyrion as baby like one would show a freak and then pinched his penis making him cry, stopping only when Jaime made her).

Beside, he wouldn't feel so guilty at the Tysha incident if he didn't love his brother.

Tyrion was 13 during the Tysha incident.

Jaime had been protecting him since he was born, as the anecdote Oberyn told Tyrion shows (When Cersei showed them Tyrion as baby like one would show a freak and then pinched his penism making him cry, stopping only when Jaime made her).

Oberyn aslo mention, at least int he TV show, that Jaime was with them from the beginning, so he stopped after she made Tyrion cry, instead of prevention it altogether. And he was a part of the Tysha incident, even if he did't take things as far as his father did, Jaime did kept silent for several years.

Nope. Sorry.

And as far as I can recall Jaime has never done anything for love. Lust, yes. Glory, sure. Duty, you bet. Honor...honor is a new one for him.

Perhaps somewhere within him, Jaime has the potential of loving Brienne. But he's not quite to that point yet.

Come on. Jaime loved Cersei and Tyrion. I didn't even know people debated this.

Jaime loved Cersei.

Jaime loves Tyrion.

Tyrion loved Jaime.

Tyrion never loved Cersei.

Cersei never loved Tyrion.

Cersei never loved Jaime.

Pay special note to the tenses and you're all set ;) As for Jaime=J'aime I'm just not seeing it, sorry. It is neat though :)

I bet the names of Jaime and Cersei were developed by Martin right at the beginning of the books as the very first ones:

J'aime la Cerise.

Of course it's intentional. Guess what is Martin's favorite fruit.

And he is pronounced "Jamie" because at the end of the books his fate will be to manage the kitchens of Casterly Rock single-handedly.

As a francophone, I have noticed the Jaime = J'aime but never prononced it like that. But really I don't think that mean anything. Jamie is a common name and it seems that GRRM like to mispel to make typical westerosi words like "Ser" instead of "Sir".

Edit : Just saw the Spanish explanation...

Could be a reason why Jaime is spelt Jaime, not Jamie.

Yeah, I've always wondered why Martin chose this spelling over a more anglophonic version. Good guess, I'd say. As for love, of course that's a major part of Jaime's personality. It may be twisted or immoral but it is love and that 'things I do for love' does sort of define him for most readers.

Archived