Cersei on a new queen to replace her (Spoilers from AGOT-AFFC)

roccocannone

In AFFC, there has been multiple times in Cersei's POV chapters that Maegi the Frog foretold that Cersei will be replaced by a more beautiful and younger queen. Readers and obviously Cersei immediately assume it's Margaery. But what if the Lannisters' claim to the Iron Throne falls and Maegi's prophecy was about Daenerys conquering the Seven Kingdoms, thus replacing Cersei? How would you all feel about the plot twist? I, for one, would love it! And please, NO SPOILERS from A Dance with Dragons because I have yet to read it and I can't at the moment due to summer

books I have to read.

Dany will not get there in time to displace Cersei, Aegon will and he will need allies to do it. Dorne and Arianne is one option but him supposedly being Dornish from his mother, Dorne should support him even without a marriage alliance. The Vale will be needed and what does Aegon offer the Vale or more importantly, Littlefinger? Aegon is a better groom match than Harry the douchebag heir to the Vale anyday. Gee, Queen to the king on the Iron throne or lady to Harry Hardying, heir to the lord of the Vale? It is not that difficult is it? Oh, and Sansa is an heiress in her own right, did I mention that too? Besides, Sansa and Cersie have history. It fits.

What? "Queen you shall be, until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear." Granted it was in a dream but I think Maggy the Frog DID say that.

. . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

That could be read as referencing another queen, personally, I think it only references another woman (i.e., Brienne). In no way is it conclusive. Too many are narrowing their candidates based on their certainty that Maggy is specifically talking about another queen. And even if it is a queen being referenced, it need not be an actual queen.

. . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

That could be read as referencing another queen, personally, I think it only references another woman (i.e., Brienne). In no way is it conclusive. Too many are narrowing their candidates based on their certainty that Maggy is specifically talking about another queen. And even if it is a queen being referenced, it need not be an actual queen.

Her crown and the power that derives from it is what Cersei holds dear so it may not but most likely it is.

We can assume, since Cersei thinks it's Marg, that it isn't Marg. I don't see it as being Brienne, I suspect "beautiful" is being used in it's physical sense, not in some kind of internal character sense. That leaves Dany or Sansa as best candidates.

See, I go the other way completely. I very much doubt "beautiful" is being used in the physical sense. Or that the prophecy references an actual queen. That is precisely how Cersei reads the prophecy, which almost surely means that is the incorrect interpretation.

It may not be a queen, just another....but I think when we get too esoteric with the readings it doesn't work. Maggy especially is straighforward. Melara is going to die, her death is in the tent. She tells Cersei she will marry the king not the prince. Gives the exact number of children.

So, "more beautiful" especially to someone whose only form of beauty that she possesses is physical...seems physical. Since any freak off the street, and most criminals are going to be more "beautiful" on the inside than Cersei is.

Whatever. Just remember in the future that you were warned:

“A woman?” Cersei stared at him, uncomprehending. “What woman? Why? Where did they go?”

“No one knows. We’ve had no further word of him. The woman may have been the Evenstar’s daughter, Lady Brienne.”

Her. The queen remembered the Maid of Tarth, a huge, ugly, shambling thing who dressed in man’s mail. Jaime would never abandon me for such a creature.

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 726). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Cersei only wants Jaime to potentially get her out of trouble. Jaime has figured that out and that has freed him to become the better knight and man that he always wanted to be. Jaime is not what Cersie holds most dear. It is the crown, the power and more directly, the abitlity to fuck with everyone's lives as she sees fit. That is in essence the "Queen Regent". A Queen under a new ruling dynasty will replace her. It is about time, do you not think? Besides, GRRM stated a few more monarchs will sit the throne yet. I think it happens by the end of TWOW.

I would much prefer it being Sansa. It would be much more satisfying, given all the crap Cersei put her through and how she always thought she was nothing to be afraid of.

Tbh I was thinking Sansa too but I wouldn't know how she would get all the strength to overthrow Cersei. I will admit that would've been awesome as well

Tbh I was thinking Sansa too but I wouldn't know how she would get all the strength to overthrow Cersei. I will admit that would've been awesome as well

Introducing a huge what if but it would fit. Margeary loses her trial and as the Tyrells stand they shocked she is promptly executed on the spot, kind of like Ned was with little time for Varys and Cersei to react and stopy Slynt and Payne. Without the Tyrells, the Lannisters could not stop the golden Company. It could happen faster than we think, especially if Aegon gets the Vale and Dorne.

On more a serious note....

Although I would usually discount the most obvious choice simply because it is GRRM, looking at what has transpired so far, I think it would have to be Margaery.

The things Cersei holds dear are her children, power, beauty and Jaime:

Children: Margaery has already sunk her claws into Joffrey and now Tommen.

Power: Margaery has gained political power through her marriages to Joffrey and Tommen, she has the love of the people which Cersei never managed and she has gained personal power over Cersei in her influence over Tommen.

Beauty: Following her arrest, Margaery has managed to turn the tables on Cersei and Cersei has to answer for her own crimes. She is stripped, shaved and forced to endure the walk of shame where she is mocked and insulted and breaks down in tears.

Jaime: At her lowest point Cersei writes to Jaime begging for his help. He does not come.

I think the GRRM twist is that Cersei made the prophecy come to fruition through her own actions and paranoia and Cersei's plight is actually all of her own doing.

Archived