Maybe Lyanna had a miscarriage?

Ok, but it doesn't prove that Rhaegar is father.

Nah Arthur Dayne prob raped her and therefore it was his baby.....

edit- Also on a serious note, when GRRM first started with only planning 3 books, he left enough stuff in during the first couple novels that R+L=j

But now with having 7 books and what not, it has given people all the time in the world to look and read carefully and figure it out. If it was a 3 book series then maybe a good chunk of people would be shocked at the result, but with all the time that has gone by and the easy clues left for the readers, its not even a question

Only ones who oppose are doing so just to be different or come off as the cool rebel taking a diff stance on it

1) Ahem, "bed of blood".

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood. (AGOT

Promise me, Ned, his sister had whispered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses (AGOT)

“Before,” Dany said to the ugly Lhazareen woman, “I heard you speak of birthing songs …”

“I know every secret of the bloody bed, Silver Lady, nor have I ever lost a babe,” Mirri Maz Duur replied. (AGOT)

“The Lamb Woman knows the secrets of the birthing bed,” Irri said. “She said so, I heard her.” (AGOT)

That was the way of this cold world, where men fished the sea and dug in the ground and died, whilst women brought forth short-lived children from beds of blood and pain. (Damphair, AFFC)

Those are the sole uses of the phrase within the series, referring solely and exclusively to childbirth, so, yes, we can.

2) Why is his mother a secret then? (see the reference guide in the first post of the pinned R+L thread for details)

3) GRRM used an explicitely stated piece of gossip as a test question for the show makers? What was he testing with it, their memory? And BTW, when did Ashara sneak into the Northerners' camp to have a tryst with Ned during the Rebellion?

Yea.Not to mention if Jon was Ashara's child then there would be no need to hide it as the Dornish dont really mind Bastards.Also Ned's choice of words when confronting Cat make it positive that he is not the father as he made a clear distinction "He is of my blood" If Ned was the father he would have said "He is my Son" instead he says it in such a way that he is not lying but is not telling the full truth.

The fact that he does not say Jon is his son but says he has Stark blood leaves only a single person that could have sired Jon and that is Lyanna.

Yea.Not to mention if Jon was Ashara's child then there would be no need to hide it as the Dornish dont really mind Bastards.Also Ned's choice of words when confronting Cat make it positive that he is not the father as he made a clear distinction "He is of my blood" If Ned was the father he would have said "He is my Son" instead he says it in such a way that he is not lying but is not telling the full truth.

The fact that he does not say Jon is his son but says he has Stark blood leaves only a single person that could have sired Jon and that is Lyanna.

Why not Brandon? He got around

Because of the timeline. Jon was born at around the Sack and the Rebellion lasted for about a year.

Yea Brandon died long before Jon was born (Around a Year and change) and Benjen never left WF so that leaves only Lyanna.

Also If Brandon was Jon's father again no need for secrecy.Ned would have simply said so and Jon would have had a very happy life and could have ended up marrying a Highborn lady moving to her lands and becoming the Lord (Manderly/Mormont/Karstark would have been happy to have him)

Archived