Suppose Robert and Rhaegar both die at the Trident

Beorn Snow

The Rebels have to push on because if they dont win they will be executed.

I think that Tywinn still sacks Kings Landing because he saw the writing on the wall that the Rebels were going to win so he had better join or be on the losing side plus its the only way to save Jaime from the Mad King

Once the the Rebels have King's Landing there are only 4 choices to be King

Ned Stark - Ned is rather young and would hate to take the Throne. He does have the linage and might be the only acceptable canidate in the eyes of the Tyrells, Martells and Lannisters but I think he passes and returns to Winterfell and remains the Warden of the North.

Jon Aryyn- He has the wisdom and the backing of House Tully and Stark but he does not have an Heir to either hand the Vale to or to take the Throne if he fell ill. I dont think he would want the Throne becuase there is no Aryyn to pass the Vale to. I think he still becomes Hand of the King and remains Warden of the East

Hoster Tully - He has the wisdom of age and his daughters are married into House Stark and House Arryn. He has an Heir to leave the Throne to (Edmure) and another Tully to leave the Riverlands to (Blackfish).

The only real problem is the that the Tullys are a fairley new House to be a Lord Paramount and the Southeren Houses might bawk at that. But they really dont have much choice in the matter.

Hoster offers Edmure to marry Cersie to Bring House Lannister into the fold and Hoster is crowned King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Stannis becomes the Lord of Storm's End and Lord Paramount of the Stormlands

Edmure becomes the Crown Prince and the Lord of Dragonstone

Blackfish becomes Lord PAramount of the the Riverlands

Jaime is discharged from the King's Gaurd and becomes Heir to Casterly Rock and future Warden of the West

Visrerys Targaryen and his sister Daenerys are banished to Essos

Hoster Tully. He has the wisdom of age and his daughters are married into House Stark and House Arryn. He has an Heir to leave the Throne to (Edmure) and another Tully to leave the Riverlands to (Blackfish).

The only real problem is the that the Tullys are a fairley new House to be a Lord Paramount and the Southeren Houses might bawk at that. But they really dont have much choice in the matter.

Hoster offers Edmure to marry Cersie to Bring House Lannister into the fold and Hoster is crowned King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Interesting scenario. Hoster would probably be a decent queen, and if Tywin was serious about a Jaime Lysa match, he certainly wouldn´t hesitate when it comes to crown-prince Edmure.

Still, bloodline is important in Westeros. I think Tyrells and Tullys would always be considered usurpers by most great families. It´d be like the Reach is for Tyrells. They can hold it, but many other families think themselves more worthy.

The Rebels have to push on because if they dont win they will be executed.

I think that Tywinn still sacks Kings Landing because he saw the writing on the wall that the Rebels were going to win so he had better join or be on the losing side plus its the only way to save Jaime from the Mad King

Once the the Rebels have King's Landing there are only 4 choices to be King

Ned Stark - Ned is rather young and would hate to take the Throne. He does have the linage and might be the only acceptable canidate in the eyes of the Tyrells, Martells and Lannisters but I think he passes and returns to Winterfell and remains the Warden of the North.

Jon Aryyn- He has the wisdom and the backing of House Tully and Stark but he does not have an Heir to either hand the Vale to or to take the Throne if he fell ill. I dont think he would want the Throne becuase there is no Aryyn to pass the Vale to. I think he still becomes Hand of the King and remains Warden of the East

Hoster Tully - He has the wisdom of age and his daughters are married into House Stark and House Arryn. He has an Heir to leave the Throne to (Edmure) and another Tully to leave the Riverlands to (Blackfish).

Stannis becomes the Lord of Storm's End and Lord Paramount of the Stormlands

Edmure becomes the Crown Prince and the Lord of Dragonstone

Blackfish becomes Lord PAramount of the the Riverlands

Jaime is discharged from the King's Gaurd and becomes Heir to Casterly Rock and future Warden of the West

Visrerys Targaryen and his sister Daenerys are banished to Essos

Sounds mostly reasonable to me, except for banishing Viserys and Daenerys. Either try to kill them or try to bring them under your control. Kill Viserys by "accident" and bring baby Dany under your control and later marry her to Edmure's oldest son to get rid of bloodline criticism seems like a clever move.

It could have gone to a Regency (likely Tywin or Jon Arryn, if not a council) for Viserys, because if the sack of KL occurred without Robert calling for all Targ kids to be wiped out Viserys and Dany could still be alive, secured on Dragonstone and not needing to flee because no one is calling for their heads. Many of the houses at the time still considered the Targs the legitimate rulers anyway, they just didn't want the murder-crazy one on the throne (and at this point people wouldn't know Viserys is exactly the same)- someone else just seizing it might be viewed as a major threat to stability, and it's better to have a young puppet on the throne /everyone/ can try and control.

Cersei could be wed to young Viserys (which, just, wow), or he gets promised to whatever other high daughters exist at the time, and Dany promised to one of the other great house heirs, lets say Tyrell or Baratheon, to lock in their support. The widowed Rhaella, if her death was due to stress at the circumstances and in this case she would live, could even be remarried to Tywin or sent off to Dorne to placate the Martells, who'd still be pissed about Elia. Alternatively, Tywin could send Cersei to Dorne where she'd be forced to wed Oberyn as an effective hostage so the Martells will want to kill Tywin a little less. Eventually all the great houses would make sure their ties to the crown are secured by marriage and go back to normal, until Viserys proves to be just as crazy and incites shenanigans of his own.

I like a lot of the other suggestions on here as well. This is a fun game. :)

Stannis or Jon Arryn. The Arryns do in fact have Targaryen blood. Viserys I (or was it II?) married an Arryn lady whose own mother had been a Targaryen princess.

With everyone else gone Stannis might have felt, much as he does now, that it was his duty to accept the throne. But given his qualms about the rebellion in the first place, and then losing Robert, he might be just as likely to say "screw it, I'll just be Lord Baratheon and stay at Storm's End."

A case could also be made for Tywin seizing the throne. Few would have opposed him at that point.

Stannis or Jon Arryn. The Arryns do in fact have Targaryen blood. Viserys I (or was it II?) married an Arryn lady whose own mother had been a Targaryen princess.

With everyone else gone Stannis might have felt, much as he does now, that it was his duty to accept the throne. But given his qualms about the rebellion in the first place, and then losing Robert, he might be just as likely to say "screw it, I'll just be Lord Baratheon and stay at Storm's End."

A case could also be made for Tywin seizing the throne. Few would have opposed him at that point.

Thank you, I thought they had Targaryen blood but could not remember why I thought that.

I also want to add that I really doubt Stannis would try to take the throne. Robert didn't decide to press his claim until "sometime around the Trident." I think there are two likely possibilities. Either he did so after killing Rhaegar, or made his claim to Rhaegar himself just before their single combat. So if he'd died on the Trident the idea of it being rebellion to crown Robert would have been very new, if it existed at all yet. There's no reason to think they wouldn't set up a pro-rebel regency around Aegon or Viserys.

Thank you, I thought they had Targaryen blood but could not remember why I thought that.

I also want to add that I really doubt Stannis would try to take the throne. Robert didn't decide to press his claim until "sometime around the Trident." I think there are two likely possibilities. Either he did so after killing Rhaegar, or made his claim to Rhaegar himself just before their single combat. So if he'd died on the Trident the idea of it being rebellion to crown Robert would have been very new, if it existed at all yet. There's no reason to think they wouldn't set up a pro-rebel regency around Aegon or Viserys.

I agree that Stannis wouldn't try to take it, but if a Grand Council said "hey, you're next in line" he might have felt obligated. Stannis said he had a hard time choosing between his brother and his king so it seems like in his mind Robert was already claiming the throne in a way. Of course Stannis would have remembered that the Baratheons were next after the Targs, while Robert was thinking more like "ooh! I get to smash things!"

And I'm talking more in the way of Viserys is out, and Aegon is dead (or presumed dead) just like what happened. I figure the more changes we make, the more confusing things will get.

But if Tywin's henchmen had been specifically ordered to spare the heirs...between Viserys and Aegon, I think they would have gone for Aegon. Hopefully they would have consulted Rhaella who could have told them Viserys was already showing signs of being mini-Aerys.

Well Viserys was on Dragonstone out of reach. While Robert was all "kill all Targaryens" (It's possible he only developed this attitude after learning of Lyanna's death at the hands of Rhaegar. Who even knows what Ned told him.) I suspect that Arryn or Ned would have made some kinda peace so long as Aerys and Rhaegar were dead. Of course it would be the kind of peace where the rebel leaders were Regent/Lord Protector of the Realm/Hand of the King so that Aegon or Viserys would be a figurehead until his sixteenth birthday. If either showed signs of madness or extreme bitterness to houses Stark, Arryn and Baratheon there was time to remove them from the throne. After all you just deposed one king for being insane.

Assuming both Rhaegar and Robert die, then it's also very likely Stannis dies in the siege. It's unclear, but I believe Rhaegar's death is what lost the Battle of the Trident for the Targ forces. If they both die, then the battle plays out differently. Also, it's less likely that Tywin sacks KL. Plus, it would take Ned a lot longer to lift the siege, if it's ever lifted at all. All these factors lead to the conclusion that Stannis is far less likely to survive the siege.

That being said, Tywin would sit on the IT. And really, he is probably the most suited to do so, and his heir and only child Tyrion would be the crowned prince.

Assuming both Rhaegar and Robert die, then it's also very likely Stannis dies in the siege. It's unclear, but I believe Rhaegar's death is what lost the Battle of the Trident for the Targ forces. If they both die, then the battle plays out differently.

Robert wasn't a singular figure for his side like Rhaegar was. Robert dying as well as Rhaegar would not likely have made a big difference to how the battle went. Particularly as the Dornish flank of the royalist army was independently collapsing.

Not sure if I like this Tywin for king love on this thread. :ack:

Surely you people realize this doesn´t mean Tyrion on the throne. It means Jaime gets kicked out of KG to become prince. Cersei gets married to someone like Stannis to ensure the Stormlands, and Jaime likely engaged to young Margaery or something of that sort. Tyrion might even get a match in a situation like that, being third in line.

But ... I don´t see Ned accepting it. And Jon Arryn might not either. And if they don´t, the Tully´s won´t. It´s war of the five kings 15 years earlier. (But Tywin wouldn´t have been able to seize the throne anyway so no worries).

No one from the rebel side wants the throne. Tywin wants the throne. Claim be damned, let him rule since he is the most fit to do so. The realm would prosper and there would be peace during his watch.

The rebels would never let Tywin take the throne.

Robert wasn't a singular figure for his side like Rhaegar was. Robert dying as well as Rhaegar would not likely have made a big difference to how the battle went. Particularly as the Dornish flank of the royalist army was independently collapsing.

I completely disagree. Robert was the more singular figure. But this is a matter of opinion, not an engraved fact.

This whole idea of Tywin taking the throne from Aerys and being left to sit there is bullshit, in my opinion. "yeah, you joined our side at the eleventh hour and took the capital for us. I'm sorry we didn't bow sooner."

I guess it depends on Jon. Everybody knew stannis was a hard ass. The Tyrells might try to kill him or take himhostage if that was the case. In that case tywin sends half his trooops to storms end and half to KL. Stannis marries Cersie and that would be the least interesting thing of all time.

Ned- how they get tywin would be an interesting course. Robb was born so maybe he would consider waiting for Robb? eh. Not a lot of good comes here.

Edmure was a great idea. Whoever wrote that should get kudos. Dorne wouldn't have a problem with him and he would have the starks, baratheons, lannisters, and arynns pretty easily. Also the tyrells would be more welcome in court

This whole idea of Tywin taking the throne from Aerys and being left to sit there is bullshit, in my opinion. "yeah, you joined our side at the eleventh hour and took the capital for us. I'm sorry we didn't bow sooner."

The argument is likely based on the fact he had the freshest army, lots of gold and reserve forces. The Lannisters had the strongest position, the most capital (human and resources) and Tywin had already established he was a good commander.

I guess it depends on Jon. Everybody knew stannis was a hard ass. The Tyrells might try to kill him or take himhostage if that was the case. In that case tywin sends half his trooops to storms end and half to KL. Stannis marries Cersie and that would be the least interesting thing of all time.

Ned- how they get tywin would be an interesting course. Robb was born so maybe he would consider waiting for Robb? eh. Not a lot of good comes here.

Edmure was a great idea. Whoever wrote that should get kudos. Dorne wouldn't have a problem with him and he would have the starks, baratheons, lannisters, and arynns pretty easily. Also the tyrells would be more welcome in court

Please. That would make some amazing reality T.V.

Confused about how Stannis would be a leading contented for the IT in this scenario. Since Robert is dead, there never would have been a Baratheon dynasty. It was Robert's victories in RR/WotU, and his "the only good Targ is a dead Targ" stance that broke the dragons' hold on the people.

I'm with those who believe a pro-rebel regency would have been set up in Aegon's name, if he survived. Elia and Rhaenys would likely be able to return to Dorne, and Jon (after all, Jon's around in this universe) is a Waters who grows up with Aegon, legitimized in all but name (although if they do grow up close, I think Aegon wouldn't heed warning about not starting another Blackfyre rebellion.

Viserys would be fostered. Daenerys would be married to a rebel's son -- Robb Stark, or someone else from that generation. The rebels would all be part of the small council, with Jon Arryn as hand.

My favorite part of this scenario would be the dowager Queen Rhaella falling for, and marrying, Tywin Lannister. For Tywin it would be a huge "f u" to the late Aerys who drooled over Joanna Lannister. For Rhaella, she'd finally be with a man who was actually competent. (Oh, and not her brother as well.)

Archived