Arya in Harrenhal's Godswood

Facha Martell

So, last night i finished ACOK and there was a scene that i found very interesting...

When Arya hears Ned's voice in the godswood of Harrenhal, and he says "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" (GREAT quote, really), and after she says something Ned answers *wtf*

Is she remembering and old conversation with her father or it's a "warg thing"? is ned communicating through the weirwood?

I don't think it's clear in the book and i don't remember the scene in the show...

what do you think?

It seems that this is partly her memory, partly what she whishes her father would tell her. It is her inner voice, sounding like Ned at that moment, that tells her what she needs to hear.

I considered the option of it being something else (an option that will most likely cross your own mind once you've reached/finished book 5), but that seems unlikely, at second thought.

This is something that Eddard tells Arya in A Game of Thrones, when she's fighting with Sansa. Eddard wants her to stop the conflict with her own family, because winter is coming and Sansa isn't the true enemy.

It's likely that Arya is remembering this conversation. She hears Syrio speaking to her often, too. "Fear cuts deeper than swords" and all that.

This is something that Eddard tells Arya in A Game of Thrones, when she's fighting with Sansa. Eddard wants her to stop the conflict with her own family, because winter is coming and Sansa isn't the true enemy.

It's likely that Arya is remembering this conversation. She hears Syrio speaking to her often, too. "Fear cuts deeper than swords" and all that.

Nice job remembering! :D :thumbsup:

She perched anxiously on the edge of her bed. “You are too young to be burdened with all my cares,” he told her, “but you are also a Stark of Winterfell. You know our words.”

“Winter is coming, “ Arya whispered.

“The hard cruel times,” her father said. “We tasted them on the Trident, child, and when Bran fell. You were born in the long summer, sweet one, you’ve never known anything else, but now the winter is truly coming. Remember the sigil of our House, Arya.”

“The direwolf,” she said, thinking of Nymeria. She hugged her knees against her chest, suddenly afraid.

“Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate

those who would truly do us harm. Septa Mordane is a good woman, and Sansa... Sansa is your sister. You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you... and I need both of you, gods help me.”

Familiar objects or events spark random memory recollections. Even some that are vaguely familiar. All of us do it.

In Westeros though, those weirwood trees in the godswood, have something else going on. The faces on each appear different too.

Yeah, i forgot Ned already told her that. good catch!

What left me with some doubts was the fact that Arya was kinda surprised when she heard Ned in the Godswood, if i'm recalling that right.

Looking forward to reach what Rhaenys_Targaryen mentioned about being "something else" (instant thought = weirwood faces, children of the forest, stark's blood of the first men).

Looking forward to reach what Rhaenys_Targaryen mentioned about being "something else" (instant thought = weirwood faces, children of the forest, stark's blood of the first men).

Though the post below mine convinced me it was just Arya's memory of her conversation with Ned, my "something else" occurs are multiple occasions in Dance ;) So keep your eyes open..!

Your guesses are getting close though ;)

Re-reading GOT and am at the Arya POV that contains the Trant vs. Syrio throw down. Unless I am mistaken the first time Arya actually hears voices, as opposed to just remembering what was said to her, was shortly after she left Syrio to fight Trant and was making her way through the Red Keep. It made me wonder if Syryo is truly dead and Arya has the ability to commune with the dead? If she does what implications does that have with the coming battle with the Others and their dead wrights?

Archived