Was it just me or did Ser Alliser Thorne earn at least *some* of your respect during The Battle of Castle Black?

Crannogmen17

I, like many, have always hated him.. He was always such scum to everyone. But in this battle, especially when he fought so bravely against the Red Bearded wildling "Tormund Giantsbane" (who is basically the Free Folks version of Khal Drogo) and for the most part, he actually held his own, thought barely survived it.. He knows how to fight, isn't a craven and I'm not finished with all the released books yet but I hope to see his attitude change somewhat for the better. { No Spoilers please ;) }

Did he earn some of your liking as well??

Thankyou for that, I'm new here and wasn't sure if the forum went by spoiler-alerts or not but I think I should take you up on that advice and come back at a better time.. I have been here long enough to learn that this is by far the best GOT forum on the whole net though..

Yeah this is the book forum. I'd avoid it for spoilers and occasionally posters who are dark and full of terrors when it comes to the HBO series (guilty of this...)

It was a good scene though and I rather like the portrayal of both characters.

I, like many, have always hated him.. He was always such scum to everyone. But in this battle, especially when he fought so bravely against the Red Bearded wildling "Tormund Giantsbane" (who is basically the Free Folks version of Khal Drogo) and for the most part, he actually held his own, thought barely survived it.. He knows how to fight, isn't a craven and I'm not finished with all the released books yet but I hope to see his attitude change somewhat for the better. { No Spoilers please ;) }

Did he earn some of your liking as well??

You really arent in a good spot because Thorne didn't even fight at the battle of castle black in the books, the fight your talking about only happened in the show, because Tormund wasn't at the battle at castle black either. I'd go elsewhere for GoT discussion if I were you

Yeah I would go over to either the show sub forum or the still reading one. Because you're likely to get spoilered a lot here and also crucified/burned at the stake by some members for posting show topics in a book forum.

And I've always thought while being an asshat Thorne is probably partly unfairly hated by some people.

Well he is an opponent for Jon in his early days at the NW, so a lot of readers/viewers don't like him. He isn't really a likable fellow. But he is knight, fought in Roberts War on the loyalist side, chose the Wall instead of execution. So he deserves a bit of respect as a veteran i guess.

Archived