LACon Convention Reports

the hell? wade was there?!!! i don't fucking remember that!

I, for one, want to see a photo of wade...

unfortunately, yours truly was also banned from the knighting and sent beyond the wall ........................ and somewhere not here, women are in tears and yanking their braids.

Well, I'm not in tears and I haven't braided my hair in a while, but I'm disappointed for sure! Why didn't you get knighted? You just didn't want to go on the quest?

I, for one, want to see a photo of wade...

Well, I'm not in tears and I haven't braided my hair in a while, but I'm disappointed for sure! Why didn't you get knighted? You just didn't want to go on the quest?

Most of us who actually live in SoCal didn't want to drive 40 miles each way in the middle of the night for hot dogs. It seriously took them nearly three hours. Since I live In Pasadena and didn't stay at the hotel, I truly didn't want to make that trip and then drive home after. Blech.

The party was very excellent.

I had a huge post on the quest but I guess I took too long and the computer booted me back to the hilton website. :mad: I've seen it all in writing now so I should remember but I post it again later, first to a word document. :lol:

Off to volunteer at the con, peace.

Lev was banned from CRASHING the knighting, by (un)popular demand.

He was also a bit in his cups. By a bit, I mean, 'can only walk in a series of divergent arcs that more often than not get one closer to one's destination'.

GRRM changed the details of the quest. The squires were required to fetch food for ALL of the Lords, Ladies, Princes, Princesses and Devil Bunnies in attendance. Being a generous newly-raised Lord, I endeavored to share the bounty with one of my favorite peasants present, but it seems that Dirjj thinks that he can refuse a gift just because a chili dog with sauerkraut is an abomination in the eyes of the gods, old and new.

His loss. It was oddly good.

This morning I went to GRRM's signing and got an inscription in my copy of RRetrospective. It now reads, "To Lord Bronn Stone, Master of the Cellars, it's on The Arbor because I say so. - GRRM". I guess this must be considered the final word on my theory that the best wine should actually come from the slopes of the Vale of Arryn.

Did no one see my little card and small drink offering I had sent to the party? *sniff*

Neither Jon nor Ran nor I were manning the door during or before the festivities got underway. I'll ask around and find out about this.

Most of us who actually live in SoCal didn't want to drive 40 miles each way in the middle of the night for hot dogs. It seriously took them nearly three hours. Since I live In Pasadena and didn't stay at the hotel, I truly didn't want to make that trip and then drive home after. Blech.

The party was very excellent.

The drive up and back wasn't nearly as time consuming as the actual wait in line at the hot dog stand. Pink's, being THE place to go for greasy goodness late on a Friday night, is a Mecca for the barely vertical around 2:00 a.m. ... which is just about the time we arrived.

Can't beat it for a decent case of Heartburn though... good times, indeed.

~j

And oh yeah. GRRM dubbed them the Knights (and Dames) of the Pink Dog.

But if you ask me, if your quest to become a Westerosi knight takes you to a place called Pink's for hot dogs, you are a Knight of the Fat Pink Mast.

:P

Neither Jon nor Ran nor I were manning the door during or before the festivities got underway. I'll ask around and find out about this.

It wasn't a lot, but there was a small card and some beer. It woulda been about 8:30-9:00 (I think) PST...whomever's name was on the Suite was the name on the ticket for delivery I believe...

The drive up and back wasn't nearly as time consuming as the actual wait in line at the hot dog stand. Pink's, being THE place to go for greasy goodness late on a Friday night, is a Mecca for the barely vertical around 2:00 a.m. ... which is just about the time we arrived.

Can't beat it for a decent case of Heartburn though... good times, indeed.

~j

Hey! I was talking to Davy about you last night!! I asked him how he met a celeb like you (I have seen your posts on LJ). You were out on the Quest when this convo happened- he mentioned your current gig. Do you know I used to work with Shelby's wife Giulia Grimm at United?

But if you ask me, if your quest to become a Westerosi knight takes you to a place called Pink's for hot dogs, you are a Knight of the Fat Pink Mast. :P

I agree, it *should* be "of the Fat Pink Mast"! lmao Much more appropriate... (or, "of the {Pink} Hot Dog") But, The {great }Author should always have the final word, of course. :bow:

...because a chili dog with sauerkraut is an abomination in the eyes of the gods, old and new.

He most *certainly* missed out... In Plattsburgh there are these things called "michigans" (also called "Texas Red Hots") which are hot dogs with a meat sauce on them that is kinda (but not really) like chili without the beans (the only ingrediant that I know of is cumin, but it surely has chili powder or cayenne as well).

Well, I used to be a fan (after a night of bar hopping or drinking and dancing) of michigans "with everything" on them. This meant (in addition to the meat sauce): raw onions, cold chunks of cheese, pickle relish, and sauerkraut! Yum! They were very, very messy and it required finesse to not drop any of it on the ground. I'm surprised that my stomach used to have the ability to digest all of that without a complaint!

Hey! I was talking to Davy about you last night!! I asked him how he met a celeb like you (I have seen your posts on LJ). You were out on the Quest when this convo happened- he mentioned your current gig. Do you know I used to work with Shelby's wife Giulia Grimm at United?

Holy cow! It truly is a small world. I am hoping to sing with Shelby again once Caroling season rolls around. If he sings Tenor this year (as he requested) there is a chance that I'll sub into his quartet at some point during the season (assuming they keep me on the rolls :) )

~j

So the quest was to Pink’s, a hot dog stand. George had us going to one in LA which is a ways from Anaheim. As Bronn said, all the higher nobility were getting food this time so there was a huge order list.

We all rushed out of the suite and prompty clogged up the hallway. Then we moved toward the elevators but Aegon stopped us to give some local directions.

After scribbling down the directions and another copy of the food list, we headed out.

I rode with the Goddess Dictator, Mak, and the aforementioned Sally. Aegon told us a safe way to get there at that time of night but Sally and GD are locals so we took the 5 north to the 101 north to Melrose. It saved a little time and we were able to get in line a little earlier.

Frank informed us that it was cash only when we thought it was credit card as well. I freaked out a little bit (enough to go to the nearby ATM) but everyone else forked over some cash and stayed cool. GD, Mak and Sally waited in line for what seemed like 30-45 minutes. Everyone else was hanging out, taking pictures that will hopefully arrive soon. Apparently there was some heckling of Words are Wind, who heckled right back. I missed it but others can inform.

After we finally got our order (thanks to a tireless guy who had to single-handedly take care of our order), we took a few pictures and sped back to Anaheim, agreeing to meet in the hotel lobby.

There we met and went all in one elevator. I think it was Grogmosh that said “one elevator and six cars.†We entered the suite to shouts of “Outside! Outside!†so we headed out where George was holding court. He started to take food out and announce it until Parris told us to help him out. So a lot of us took the food out and gave it to the lords and ladies.

Then the knightings. Now I won’t list the new knights and dames because I know I’ll forget multiple people. I’m sure Lodey will start a “sound off here†thread for us. George knighted us with a sword. He did knight me “Ser Jon Targaryen†which caused him to chuckle a little bit. That could mean multiple things of course.

That was it except for some hanging out. Mormont and I were talking in front of George and somehow the topic of how we had clashed a long time ago came up. I mentioned I was a little hard on the women. That got Mormont to talking about the visceral reactions people have to Catelyn and Sansa. George said he likes people to have different reactions because that shows the characters are not cardboard cut-outs. There was a bit more but I was tired. I’ll leave the rest up to Mormont.

I have to do some last preparation for our open party. Everybody pray to the old gods and the new that George wins the Hugo. Later ...

Man, I'm like the miserable con whore.

I had to bail at 11, because my gf got her car stuck on a wall... (long story which I will not relate). I ended up having to drive to the Valley, and ended up just going home because it was 2:30 AM. Missed the knighting, and the rest of the party.

I'm headed down to the party as we speak though! Last night of the con, and damn if I am not going to have a good time...

-Cuellar

Just a very, very quick update:

AFfC didn't win the Hugo (in fact, it didn't do very well at all, I'm afraid, coming in last of the five nominated works). The whys and wherefores of this were argued endlessly. Randyll Tarly was invoked feverently. And it did not put much of a damper on the post-Awards party. At some points, it was absolutely the largest party going on, with the most booze, the best-looking ladies and gentlemen, and the greatest noise level. Excellent all around, and I'd like to thank everyone who made it possible -- Lodey, Erik, Ro, CoC, Dub and Mya, Aegon, X-Ray, Bronn Stone, Lany, Jon Targaryen, and on and on and on.

Linda and I did not get to bed until 4 AM, since we wanted to get George a very, very special picture (details which may or may not come out, depending on whether some intended plans actually happen ;) that included Linda and .... unnamed others (a _lot_ of them, and I got the privilege of helping with the photography -- I suspect DaveAx got the best shots, though, since he gamely hopped onto a dresser, heh).

The trivia, I won it (the only prize, as far as I'm aware, is the glory ;) Maltaran in second, Jon Targaryen in third, and Mormont and Linda tied for fourth. Daj had some hard questions (though I missed a ten pointer regarding maester's chains), and his map question was brilliant -- he printed out the map and blacked out the names of all the sites, and numbered 20 of them which had to all be named at 10 points apiece)- As was the final question: "What would Randyll Tarly do?" Heh. Linda got the most points for that one. ;)

Raffle hasn't been done yet. And more later. George has a last panel this morning, and I'm sure some of us will be there, despite not going to bed until the wee hours.

Here’s a quick rundown of my Saturday

--Lunch with Hooie, Lugalirra, and Blackfryre Heir

--Volunteering at the convention which was enjoyable as most volunteering is and surprisingly easy

--Wanting to go to Star Wars panel on the series completed but going to office Depot alone after getting directions from YDub using Rhelle’s phone. Making copies of the copy of the party flyer there.

--Talking about craps and comps with YDub

--Going on an ice and beer run with Davos

--More ice and oranges for the Shadow Bar with Hooie

--Get party supplies for George’s win at Target

--George loses and I abort the party mission but have just purchased the stuff

--Taking George's loss suprisingly hard for a good while

--Liquor, trivia supplies and sundry with LacyB

--Hanging out at the party (finally!)

--Trivia (What would Randyll Tarly do?, damn map)

--Party having to get quiet for reasons that are still not clear but probably the obvious, we were just too kick-ass

--Going down to a closed party again

--Group picture, most of us were there.

I became the drafted Wandering Crow for the early part of the night or, as Blackfyre Heir said, "Sorry you've become the bitch." :lol:

All in all, a great time was had. I definitely look forward to KC and Nippon next year, I'm a definite probable for both. :P I'm going to go help clean up the suite and get some breakfast now. I may flesh this out later if I can remember the details. Peace out.

Not sure where else to put this, but since my Reno flight is delayed (as every flight I have ever taken to/from Reno has been) I might as well take advantage of airport wireless that was cheaper than the stuff at the hotel. :)

Had a great time at the con--Lany and GC were great roommates, and I loved meeting everyone that I met. Wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to attend a family wedding on Saturday. Of course, I either got some sort of food poisoning from Pink's (unlikely since I only had fries) or came down with a 24-hour stomach virus starting yesterday morning. I thought I was still drunk after Friday night when I woke up 3 hours later, but I got sick on my train out of Anaheim and it stuck with me the whole day and was definitely not alcohol-related. I hope I didn't get anyone else sick, but I suspect this was the same thing Lany had. Oh well, as I am feeling better now, I can't complain.

I can see how people get addicted to con-going though. Hopefully I'll move to civilization, and not Nevada, in a few weeks, so there will actually be bros in my state.

When I saw my parents, though, I tried to explain ASOIAF to them, and my mom (who likes reading historical novels) sounded interested, so I may produce a convert.

Oh yeah, one other thing, speaking of small worlds--it was fun meeting Veira (Brittany) and her boyfriend--I didn't think there was anyone else from my college who was a fan, although I suspected that going to a nerd school would produce at least one other GRRM fan. But now I've met some. :lol:

Archived