Uncle Coldhands?

Cody Garris

So I was just thinking, and this is probably totally crack pot speculation on my part but I wanted to ask before I really delved into rereading trying to find evidence. Has anyone seen anything to suggest that cold hands could be benjen stark? If so, please provide some examples from the text.

Well CH's NW clothes aren't tattered and messed up. Most reasoning for CH not to be Benjen is that Leaf said, "They killed him long ago." and that given CotF live longer than men it means 100+ years, not the 1-3 years that Benjen has been MIA.

When reading my father and I thought for sure it is Benjen, because CH always keeps his face covered.

There are two reasons to cover your face.

1)Bran knows your face and it is better that he does not know his uncle is dead.

2)A severe death wound that you wish to hide from a young boy and company.

The CH statement, "I am your monster, Brandon Stark." was another good proof. Unless CH is a previous Brandon Stark, AKA Bran the builder, or NK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well CH's NW clothes aren't tattered and messed up. Most reasoning for CH not to be Benjen is that Leaf said, "They killed him long ago." and that given CotF live longer than men it means 100+ years, not the 1-3 years that Benjen has been MIA.

When reading my father and I thought for sure it is Benjen, because CH always keeps his face covered.

There are two reasons to cover your face.

1)Bran knows your face and it is better that he does not know his uncle is dead.

2)A severe death wound that you wish to hide from a young boy and company.

The CH statement, "I am your monster, Brandon Stark." was another good proof. Unless CH is a previous Brandon Stark, AKA Bran the builder, or NK.

How is "I am your monster, Brandon Stark" proof that Coldhands is Benjen? Why would Benjen be Brans monster?

So I was just thinking, and this is probably totally crack pot speculation on my part but I wanted to ask before I really delved into rereading trying to find evidence. Has anyone seen anything to suggest that cold hands could be benjen stark? If so, please provide some examples from the text.

It's a very popular theory, which I don't believe in.

When Leaf, a COTF who's over 200 years old, says someone has been dead for a long time, I don't think she means "a couple of years, at most".

• 5 months later...

Archived