Sasquan Spokane 2015 Worldcon

Hello,

First time here. I live in Spokane and the UPS guy mentioned WorldCon was coming next summer, not sure how I didn't know that already, which led to a Google search on WorldCon which led me to this thread.

The $190 price almost immediately turned me off but the more I thought about it, and the more times you guys mentioned "parties" in this thread, I realized its probably the only time it'll be in Spokane so I better attend.

Are most of the panels just "meet and greets" with authors or is there a wide variety of topics?

If you need any info from someone local please shoot me a message.

The World Science Fiction Convention is, well, the premier science fiction event in the world, held each year since 1939. Program participants include authors, artists, scientists, fans, game designers, musicians, costumers, and other creative people from around the world. Scheduled program activities include panels, presentations, workshops, kaffeeklatsches (small gatherings with authors and others), readings, autograph sessions, book launches, concerts, and many other items, along with main events including the Hugo Award ceremony and the costume masquerade. There are also fixed functions including a dealers room, art show, fan tables representing various groups, guest of honor and fan exhibits, and more. Also dozens of groups throw parties to meet socially with people who share interests and/or to promote groups, convention bids, or other fannish endeavors.

Panels are, well, panels; a group of program participants talking about a topic. Generally panels take questions from the audience as well. What distinguishes Worldcon from a local convention is the quality of the program; with the leading writers and experts in many fields coming together from around the world, the quality of conversation is at a much higher level. Worldcons have hundreds of panels, up to twenty program items at a time. This year's Worldcon, Loncon 3, happened in London in August; the program schedule is online at http://guide.loncon3.org/ .

Also if anyone needs info on other places to stay besides the Davenport or Doubletree let me know. The site is close enough to the interstate that you don't need to stay right in the thick of downtown. Hell, I live in the valley and can still get there in ten minutes.

I finally heard back from housing a few days ago - my shoulder night was added so we'll be there on the 18th. I put in my request immediately after booking went live, so it has taken them a while to get caught up. hopefully those of you still waiting will get an answer within the next few days. :fingers crossed:

Long-time lurker, new poster, here. I will be attending Sasquan (my first WorldCon) and will be staying @ the Red Lion Inn at the Park.

I've been to this particular area of Spokane quite a few times before and know the area a bit. There's a decent little board game store a couple blocks from the park :D

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, there's a sale going on from Friday the 28th to December 1st. $20 off attending and family memberships. Don't forget that you'll need at least a supporting membership to vote for the 2017 Worldcon. Eventually Sasquan should have something out on how they plan to handle voting (i.e. online options, mail-in and on-site only, etc.), but the membership has to come first!

http://sasquan.org/2014/11/black-friday-sale/

Also, it seems that all outstanding hotel room requests are supposed to have been dealt with. If you haven't heard, email hb at sasquan dot org. I share this because I have *not* heard anything, and thought there might be one or two still in the same boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to say, but I will not be attending. There is a faith-related convention in New Orleans that same weekend that I would really love to attend.

Lily...do you need a house-sitter for that week? ;)

Archived