Sasquan Spokane 2015 Worldcon

They have to have been there, as they were required to give some reports/presentations, host the Hugo Losers' party, etc. They did even have a fan table and a party, but I didn't stop by and never heard from them otherwise.

Oh, and since I just ran across this by pure chance, hotel reservations are going to open at membership rates at 8am Pacific time on September 16th. This is not actually listed anywhere on their website that I can see.

They have to have been there, as they were required to give some reports/presentations, host the Hugo Losers' party, etc. They did even have a fan table and a party, but I didn't stop by and never heard from them otherwise.

Oh, and since I just ran across this by pure chance, hotel reservations are going to open at membership rates at 8am Pacific time on September 16th. This is not actually listed anywhere on their website that I can see.

Hopefully the hotel rates will be reasonable. I expended an incredible number of my Marriott guest rewards points for the 10 nights in London and the starting tomorrow 6 nights in Dublin. Need to pay currency to build them back up again. ;-) Same for KC next year given GRRM being Editor GOH.

I know this may be a dumb question but what can I expect at a worldcon? This will be my first one

Late nights and liver damage are the only things really set in stone. I hear some people even go to panels and readings.

We did, as mentioned, have a fan table, had a Saturday night party, hosted the Hugo Losers Party, received the gavel and showed a video at Closing Ceremonies, held the Sasquan Listens panel on Monday. We also released Progress Report #2 last week. We got lots of positive feedback. Also a number of us worked on Loncon, as one would expect. Happy to hear suggestions about what else we should have done or be doing.

As one might expect, we've all been stretched thin getting everything done for this year's Worldcon. The announcement about hotel reservations was sent in PR#2, which is the traditional channel, and also through social media. Hotel page should be updated by tomorrow.

Editing to mention: The Red Lion Inn at the Park is $119 and the Red Lion River Inn is $109. The most expensive hotels are $139.

Lot of Game of Thrones fans in the Northwest and in Worldcon fandom generally, as evidenced by "Rains of Castamere" winning a Hugo Award. Hope some of you will join us in Spokane next year.

I'm going for sure. Not sure on the wife, if she switches jobs she'll come, otherwise may be flying solo.

I'll go ahead and buy my membership now, so thanks for reminding me! Did you guys actually mail in the form? Not sure if I'm an idiot who can't find the online form...

Hotels seem pretty cheap. Where is everyone staying? I'll probably stay at the party hotel (Davenport), but I'm getting old and it is a decent walk to convention center. Last year the parties at the party hotel were only for 2 nights, so schleping back and forth every day may be a tad pointless. Unless everyone is hanging out at the bars near the Davenport... probably will stay at the Doubletree. I'd consider a roommate if the wife is not going.

We did, as mentioned, have a fan table, had a Saturday night party, hosted the Hugo Losers Party, received the gavel and showed a video at Closing Ceremonies, held the Sasquan Listens panel on Monday. We also released Progress Report #2 last week. We got lots of positive feedback. Also a number of us worked on Loncon, as one would expect. Happy to hear suggestions about what else we should have done or be doing.

As one might expect, we've all been stretched thin getting everything done for this year's Worldcon. The announcement about hotel reservations was sent in PR#2, which is the traditional channel, and also through social media. Hotel page should be updated by tomorrow.

Just from my own experience:

I worked in the Ops tent, and walked in and out of the entrance to the Capital Hall many times a day, and it still took me until Saturday -- or possibly even Sunday -- to realise where you were.

I never heard you guys go around while I was attending parties (as, for example, KC did), to remind people that you were present and reaching out to new members. (Or even current members who didn't know the night of your party.)

As a not-yet-member, your website is still my first go-to point for information. I found nothing about volunteering, nothing specific about the hotel block release dates, and it took me a while to find the online registration, as it's buried after all of the various rates and payment methods. That one is down to me being very tired, but it could still be easier to find.

The fan table and the Saturday party were the only events that were available to most of the attendees (Hugo Losers is not open for obvious reasons, the closing ceremonies and Monday panel aren't great because many people had to leave on Sunday to return to work). This goes back to the drawback of having a fan tent facing a lesser-walked area, I think -- great potential visibility from the info desk, but not much from the interior of the fan village itself.

Cons are huge work, and having SpoCon and Loncon at the same time made it even worse, I'm sure. However, even as a relatively regular Worldcon attendee, I feel like I am having to dig harder for the same (basic) information for Sasquan.

All my opinion, of course. Those with more (or less) experience are likely to have different reactions.

Edited for Cue: https://sasquan.swoc.us/sasquan/reg.php#form

Just from my own experience:

I worked in the Ops tent, and walked in and out of the entrance to the Capital Hall many times a day, and it still took me until Saturday -- or possibly even Sunday -- to realise where you were.

I never heard you guys go around while I was attending parties (as, for example, KC did), to remind people that you were present and reaching out to new members. (Or even current members who didn't know the night of your party.)

As a not-yet-member, your website is still my first go-to point for information. I found nothing about volunteering, nothing specific about the hotel block release dates, and it took me a while to find the online registration, as it's buried after all of the various rates and payment methods. That one is down to me being very tired, but it could still be easier to find.

The fan table and the Saturday party were the only events that were available to most of the attendees (Hugo Losers is not open for obvious reasons, the closing ceremonies and Monday panel aren't great because many people had to leave on Sunday to return to work). This goes back to the drawback of having a fan tent facing a lesser-walked area, I think -- great potential visibility from the info desk, but not much from the interior of the fan village itself.

Cons are huge work, and having SpoCon and Loncon at the same time made it even worse, I'm sure. However, even as a relatively regular Worldcon attendee, I feel like I am having to dig harder for the same (basic) information for Sasquan.

All my opinion, of course. Those with more (or less) experience are likely to have different reactions.

Edited for Cue: https://sasquan.swoc.us/sasquan/reg.php#form

This roughly squares with my experience as well.

Archived