DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

does this Picnic involve sit-eating?   and if so have you checked with the local law enforcement and local bylaws that sit-eating in the picnics location is allowed?

We have done due diligence. The shelter is being rented from the city. They are aware of the plan. We've had this planned for over three months. There will be someone from the city parks department on hand to monitor the event.

AB   I'm sure you have,  I was just trying to take the piss out of Scot.

No problem. Considering the nastiness from some in site selection, we are very careful to dot i's and cross t's and then let people know we have.

I am very thankful that Adam is taking time to help us on this event. It is likely to be fairly big and help is needed.

AB

Well whatever the outcome for site selection I wish you all a friendly nastiness free successful con and   bid parties/ events.

I may be hoping for a different result from the vote than others, but that don't mean I don't wish the everyone the best.  Nastiness should have no place in fandom.

I am however Bummed that DC and Helsinki are running against each other.  ;P

Well whatever the outcome for site selection I wish you all a friendly nastiness free successful con and   bid parties/ events.

I may be hoping for a different result from the vote than others, but that don't mean I don't wish the everyone the best.  Nastiness should have no place in fandom.

I am however Bummed that DC and Helsinki are running against each other.  ;P

We can talk at con.

Situational. We got the deal for 2017 that is rare. So we went with it. Helsinki has an anniversary that aligns and other factors.

AB

How likely is it that DC and Helsinki will eat each other and Montreal or Japan come out on top?

It really comes down to the second/third round. The first round will include a large number of votes for odd locations so that individuals know their vote was included. If North South Funkadelick Texas isn't listed, a ballot wasn't counted. In the second round, all of those will be redistributed. The four official bid totals will be counted. If any one is 50.1 percent they are the winner. The lowest vote getter drops and redistributes. Now if the combined total of Japanese/Canadian votes (assuming they all put the other as #2) puts the Canadian/Japanese bid in 2nd place, then either Helsinki or DC would be dropped and their votes redistributed... I have no idea where the DC/Helsinki votes would go... Based on the number of votes I've heard Helsinki is carrying in and the push DC is planning onsite, I believe it is unlikely. But it is likely that Canadian and Japanese voters will determine the site of the 2017 Worldcon.

Only if combined with Puppies sending you to Japan.

That truly is the wild card. There are two distinct groups of puppies. Vox Day/Theordore Beale has supported a bid, or so I hear. (thankfully not DC17). So how the two groups vote or don't vote is big. Then there are the large number of reaction voters that came in after the nominations. If they vote in site selection... who knows.

How likely is it that DC and Helsinki will eat each other and Montreal or Japan come out on top?

I don't think this is likely. IMO, DC and Helsinki are the top two bids, and most of the potential site selection voters I've spoken with plan to list them as 1 and 2 (although the order varies). I don't think that Montreal and Japan voters combined are likely to outnumber either one, so even if they all list Montreal and Japan 1 and 2 (which I don't believe they will), they'll still be eliminated and their votes redistributed to DC or Helsinki.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived