DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

There are cheap Ryanair flights to Stockholm (or somewhere in the vague vicinity of Stockholm) from Stansted, which was very convenient for traveling from Cambridge and I guess would also be convenient for you. I think to get to Helsinki directly would require flying via Heathrow.

I liked the ferry journey from Stockholm to Marieham (where Archipelicon was), going through the Stockholm Archipelago was very scenic, and I guess the ferry from Stockholm to mainland Finland would take a similar route (I think some of them go via Marieham).

I had a look at flights from London, and there are some from Gatwick as well (using random dates in the current year).  

I was also in Stockholm for a couple of days before Archipelacon, I liked the city a lot and there were more interesting-looking things to do than there was time to do them in. I think I'd probably go somewhere other than Helsinki before or after the Con, I might consider seeing a bit more more of Stockholm, although I might also consider places I've never been to like Talinn or St Petersburg.

There are cheap Ryanair flights to Stockholm (or somewhere in the vague vicinity of Stockholm) from Stansted, which was very convenient for traveling from Cambridge and I guess would also be convenient for you. I think to get to Helsinki directly would require flying via Heathrow.

I liked the ferry journey from Stockholm to Marieham (where Archipelicon was), going through the Stockholm Archipelago was very scenic, and I guess the ferry from Stockholm to mainland Finland would take a similar route (I think some of them go via Marieham).

You're right, Heathrow & Gatwick are our choices, which are a bit of a pain to get to, as I don't want to leave my car at the airport. Though we may have to get someone to take us to Stansted too. Unless there's a direct train? I'll compare prices, see what we'd rather do. I looked for next August, and the flights are around £120 return from Heathrow or Gatwick to Helsinki, which seems reasonable.

I was also in Stockholm for a couple of days before Archipelacon, I liked the city a lot and there were more interesting-looking things to do than there was time to do them in. I think I'd probably go somewhere other than Helsinki before or after the Con, I might consider seeing a bit more more of Stockholm, although I might also consider places I've never been to like Talinn or St Petersburg.

Talinn does look nice as well, a quick google suggests it's entirely possible to do it in a day trip from Helsinki. Though if we do, we'd have to have lunch at Oldehansa. :D

If we were going to try and do all three (Stockholm, Talinn and St Petersburg), I wouldn't get the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki as it would take an entire day to do so. Personally I would:

Tue 1st August - Fly to Stockholm from UK (morning flight to maximise time in Stockholm)

2nd - Stockholm

3rd - Stockholm

4th - Fly to St Petersburg from Stockholm (again, morning flight to maximise time in St Petersburg)

5th - St Petersburg

6th - St Petersburg

7th - Train from St Petersburg to Helsinki (again, earlier train the better)

8th - Day trip to Talinn

9th - 13th - WorldCon/Helsinki Sightseeing

Mon 14th - Fly back to UK from Helsinki

Not sure I'd make the trip to St. Petersburg (would rather do a dedicated trip to Russia), but I'm definitely thinking of getting to Tallinn and Riga.

Re: parties. From what I heard from Eemeli, I think 2017 will have a set up very similar to LonCon3 -- big fan village. So, we can definitely organize a BWB trip to a sauna, but we'll probably organize an on-site shindig as well. :)

Ooooo Riga looks pretty as well. It's a good thing this con is 2 years away - I'm going to need that long just to decide where to go. A dedicated trip to Russia would be nice, but not really high up there on my holiday priority list, so if I have the opportunity to go to St Petersburg for a few days I'm gonna take it.

I love Stockholm, my brother lives just south of there in Rönninge so I've visited a bunch. We are planning on having our elopement wedding in Stockholm prior to the con, so Helsinki would be the honeymoon :p I've been to Tallinn before, I did the ferry across from Sweden and back, and it's a gorgeous little city - definitely a good day trip and if we can work that in I'd be up for a side trip from Helsinki to go there and maybe Riga too (which I haven't seen).  While I'd love to see St Petersberg, Russia has a very very large cross through it at the moment as a trans woman in a same sex relationship (along with an awful lot of countries).

Would love to see some others in Stockholm before the con, although we'll be staying with my brother for most of the time we get there - it's only a 40min train up into the heart of Stockholm so not a big drama.

Drac - I still have no idea how we so perfectly missed each other in London, we couldn't have managed it so perfectly if we tried :p

I love Stockholm, my brother lives just south of there in Rönninge so I've visited a bunch. We are planning on having our elopement wedding in Stockholm prior to the con, so Helsinki would be the honeymoon :p I've been to Tallinn before, I did the ferry across from Sweden and back, and it's a gorgeous little city - definitely a good day trip and if we can work that in I'd be up for a side trip from Helsinki to go there and maybe Riga too (which I haven't seen).  While I'd love to see St Petersberg, Russia has a very very large cross through it at the moment as a trans woman in a same sex relationship (along with an awful lot of countries).

Would love to see some others in Stockholm before the con, although we'll be staying with my brother for most of the time we get there - it's only a 40min train up into the heart of Stockholm so not a big drama.

Drac - I still have no idea how we so perfectly missed each other in London, we couldn't have managed it so perfectly if we tried :p

With my running around interviewing people and the variety of brilliant panels, it was probably inevitable. Maybe we should try to avoid each other this time, then we're bound to run into each other :laugh:

Oh and that is fantastic news! So pleased you guys are getting married. We're looking at a few days in Sweden before the con too :)

Archived