DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

I can't imagine it'll be that terrible. Looking at prices in August for next year it's 203Euros for a twin room and 216Euros for a twin with a sofa bed (so sleeps three). I'd like to think that Con price can be talked down from that, and will include Breakfast etc. Sharing with somebody, it's not much more than what I paid for LonCon, and whilst I wasn't in the Con hotel, I was at the Premier Inn which was a five minute walk away.

Ha ha ha - rooms in Spokane were, iirc, $150 dollars ($195 CND, or $97.50 each for 2) a night for massive, comfortable rooms with queen sized beds.  This will be 203 euros ($300 CND, or $150 each) for what will likely be a small bed in a cramped room, if London was an example.  $320 for a triple, or $107 per person, and I wouldn't want to sleep on a sofa bed for the same price as a bed.  :(

And yes, I know, hotel rooms in North America can't be compared to rooms in Europe, we have bigger rooms for less money.

Boy, it's time to start searching Air BnB...

I don't really think you can compare American WorldCon prices to non-American WorldCons. They're two totally different kettles of fish. And the point I was trying to make about the prices was if that 203Euro is joe blog member of the public prices, then surely the con rate will be cheaper. Yes, not as a cheap as Spokane, but that was never going to happen. Didn't happen for LonCon, won't happen for this one, and likely won't happen for Dublin, New Zealand or France either.

Failing that, there are holiday apartments in Helsinki, so club together with 2 or 3 others and the prices shouldn't be too bad. Infact, quick google shows an apartment in city centre that works out at around $410 each (based on 3 people sharing) for a 7 night stay, and that was an apartment with 3 double beds, so could in fact share with more people and make it cheaper. 

Airbnb seems like the best option for travelling on the cheap or with family in Europe.  Hotel prices/sizes are pretty rough compared to the US (but then again, all major cities suck ass - yes I'm looking at you NYC).  That being said, Holiday Inn next to the convention center is $100 a night in September (I assume no convention). 

Only challenge I saw with Helsinki was that there is only 1 hotel next to the convention center with 244 rooms only, so maybe staying somewhere downtown is an option as well. 

SoH,

I can't imagine it'll be that terrible. Looking at prices in August for next year it's 203Euros for a twin room and 216Euros for a twin with a sofa bed (so sleeps three). I'd like to think that Con price can be talked down from that, and will include Breakfast etc. Sharing with somebody, it's not much more than what I paid for LonCon, and whilst I wasn't in the Con hotel, I was at the Premier Inn which was a five minute walk away.

That's quite a bit more than I've paid for the con hotels on my WC trips.

I'd be in for a shared apartment or a group room or the like for when we inevitably convince Jukka to do the Amazing Race again. The Hostel People's Front anyone? :)

I don't really think you can compare American WorldCon prices to non-American WorldCons. They're two totally different kettles of fish. And the point I was trying to make about the prices was if that 203Euro is joe blog member of the public prices, then surely the con rate will be cheaper. Yes, not as a cheap as Spokane, but that was never going to happen. Didn't happen for LonCon, won't happen for this one, and likely won't happen for Dublin, New Zealand or France either.

Failing that, there are holiday apartments in Helsinki, so club together with 2 or 3 others and the prices shouldn't be too bad. Infact, quick google shows an apartment in city centre that works out at around $410 each (based on 3 people sharing) for a 7 night stay, and that was an apartment with 3 double beds, so could in fact share with more people and make it cheaper. 

I think a friend is coming with us, so we'd be open to an apartment. Any suggestions on where to look? :)

from a quick look on booking.com, there are plenty of hotels with double rooms in the city centre for under 100 Euro. And public transport will be free.

eta: and a double room in the convention hotel at christmas is 114 euro. I don't think prices for August next year are the best thing to go by this far in advance.

SoH,

That's quite a bit more than I've paid for the con hotels on my WC trips.

I know it's a lot - the point I was trying to make was if that is their high season price for the public, then the Con price should be lower, Say it gets down to 150Euros, that's 75Euros each per night for two to share, which ain't that bad. Yes, as has been pointed out, there are cheaper hotels on booking.com, but paying around £55 a night (if it was 150Euros) to stay in the Con hotel wouldn't to me be a terrible, overpriced price to pay.

I'd be in for a shared apartment or a group room or the like for when we inevitably convince Jukka to do the Amazing Race again. The Hostel People's Front anyone? :)

The People's Hostel Front :P

I think a friend is coming with us, so we'd be open to an apartment. Any suggestions on where to look? :)

My quick google took my to holidaylettings.co.uk, but Trip Adviser has pinged up a few.

Now it would be quite epic if we could get two connecting apartments/hostel rooms again.

It did work very well in Mariehamn so would be nice to do something like that again. I suspect we'd have to organise it well in advance if we wanted somewhere that was anywhere near where the convention is.

• 4 months later...

Archived