Howland Reed = High Septon 2.0

pobeb

That is just, well, not even supported remotely by the texts. There are plenty examples of both, but there are people who are literally described as middling. The ones that don't fall into your categories typically aren't really remarked on at all.

So is that your argument? Howland Reed is middling? Edmure Tully is probably a good example of a middling lord, I guess. He's not the Blackfish, but he's not Lyssa either, just sort of middle of the road.

But that's not Howland.

The books assume that the High Sparrow is not Howland Reed, so it's not unreasonable to take this assumption at face value. Saying that he might be Howland Reed merely because no one has proved that he is not essentially makes proving things meaningless, because any ridiculous idea would have to be entertained merely because no one has disproved it. So, we would have to assume that Mance=Rhaegar, that Septa Lemore = Lyanna etc. merely because no one has disproved these ideas. That's absurd.

i'm sorry for what i write now, i really don't want to insult anybody, but this is one of the dumbest posts i've ever read on this forum.

how in seven hells can books assume something?

the POV-characters assume something and grrm has said a million times that they are not reliable.

and saying that the idea of HS=HR comes from not proving is so stupid that i'm starting to believe you haven't even read the OP and are only trolling here. and btw throwing in all kinds of speculation faster than anyone can reply to it doesn't make it real. it becomes more and more obvious that you are not interested in any discussion, but are trying to shou everybody down here.

you could at least give us time to respond to something before you go on with new speculative posts.

So is that your argument? Howland Reed is middling? Edmure Tully is probably a good example of a middling lord, I guess. He's not the Blackfish, but he's not Lyssa either, just sort of middle of the road.

But that's not Howland.

No, I wasn't arguing for anything. I was saying the premise of that post was incredibly flawed. I mean, just off the top of my head, two lords/ladies are explicitly noted as average.

Galbart Glover - "Galbart Glover had taken command of the scouts and outriders in his place; a good man, loyal and steady, but without the Blackfish’s brilliance.”

Tanda Stokeworth - '“Tyrion had to point out that while Lady Tanda was by no means a clever woman”

No, I wasn't arguing for anything. I was saying the premise of that post was incredibly flawed. I mean, just off the top of my head, two lords/ladies are explicitly noted as average.

Galbart Glover - "Galbart Glover had taken command of the scouts and outriders in his place; a good man, loyal and steady, but without the Blackfish’s brilliance.”

Tanda Stokeworth - '“Tyrion had to point out that while Lady Tanda was by no means a clever woman”

That's the problem, you're just stating random facts. I can't tell if you are arguing for or against Howland Reed anymore.

if you have foud any clues in the text that let you suggest they are somewhere else feel free to present them. the only argument for them being elsewhere so far was "to me it makes more sense if they would..."

The only argument for Benjen Stark not being Daario so far was ''to me makes more sense if he would...''

I've read approximately zero posts against HR=HS that caused me doubt.

In fact, I'm really liking the idea that the septas are she-wolves.

The best support of all these theories is GRRM's careful use of language. As several have eloquently pointed out, his choice of words cannot be a mere coincidence, but to force us to think and compare.

If this were not the case, there would not be a thousand pages devoted to blue roses.

edit - lazy typing

Archived