Wildlings reaction to the betrayl of LC snow

cwwagner

Othell Yarwick is not associated with Bowen Marsh. Nor is Septon Cellador part of the group trying to murder Jon in open sight.

Actually, we don't know who 2 of the assassins are. We are only told "Bowen Marsh" and "Wick Whittlestick". There are two unnamed assassins who attack Jon after Marsh gets him in the stomach.

Actually to BM and the group that stabbed Jon is that they are not suppose to interfere with the realm which is what Jon is doing and their thinking is to kill Jon because he is breaking the vow. They are not really thinking much about the aftermath but I can see their point of view. To them Jon is breaking his vow and as a result they are killing him.

While this is obviously the inciting incident, and the conspirators are certainly doing it 'for the watch' from their perspective, I have a very hard time believing Bowen had not already resolved to kill Jon long before the letter and him announcing his intentions to march. When Jon informs Marsh (with Yarwyck and the Septon) of his plans to let the wildings pass, Marsh literally names the act treason to Jon's face. Beyond the pomegranates, the only thing we know about Marsh is his meticulous, calculating nature and his newfound visceral animus towards the wildings since the Bridge of Skulls. While admittedly the latter lends itself to a 'knee-jerk' reaction argument on behalf of the assassins, I think it strains credulity for Marsh to make such a brash and clearly suicidal decision. That's just my interpretation though. Maybe Marsh truly wants to be a martyr.

Actually, we don't know who 2 of the assassins are. We are only told "Bowen Marsh" and "Wick Whittlestick". There are two unnamed assassins who attack Jon after Marsh gets him in the stomach.

Yes, there are two more. Unknown persons. Not confirmed to be Othell or Cellador and rather unlikely. Especially since Jon has won Othell over.

Well your vows hold until your death, and if he does in fact die but is brought back to life... he is no longer bound to them.

Technically.

That's the kind of word-twisting Jon despises.

Exactly. I personally don't think he will leave the NW if he dies and then gets revived or whatever which will technically allow him to leave. And from what I remember from the books, I think a great deal of wildlings will not stand by and let Bowen and his merry men kill Jon.

Yes, there are two more. Unknown persons. Not confirmed to be Othell or Cellador and rather unlikely. Especially since Jon has won Othell over.

...it's also the kind of word twisting we see Jon himself do. He uses it as an excuse for braking his word to Stannis and letting Val go. He's using 'she's not a princess' as his (admittedly bad) excuse. We've also seen him nearly break his vows several times already. I don't see people say "well, even if he were released, he wouldn't do it!" Jon cares more about doing the right thing more than the honorable thing, and is prepared to deal with the consequences of his actions.

Jon doesn't seem to be someone who thinks in technicalities. He doesn't let the wildlings through because technically they are part of the realms of men. It is part of his justification but not a main point. He does it because it "feels" morally correct. He sees them as a group of people and not savages. In my opinion if he wakes up from either being gravely injured or revived, does he feel that he is still part of the NW? Who knows? Whatever he feels is best to protect the realm of men will determine what happens to NW.

Jon doesn't seem to be someone who thinks in technicalities. He doesn't let the wildlings through because technically they are part of the realms of men. It is part of his justification but not a main point. He does it because it "feels" morally correct. He sees them as a group of people and not savages. In my opinion if he wakes up from either being gravely injured or revived, does he feel that he is still part of the NW? Who knows? Whatever he feels is best to protect the realm of men will determine what happens to NW.

^This. He will do what he must to fight the Others and protect the living.

But what about the wildling hostages? They are an incredibly powerful bargaining chip- they are the sons of the wildling commanders, including Tormund.

There comes a point where all bets are off. I wouldn't be surprised if this is that point.

There comes a point where all bets are off. I wouldn't be surprised if this is that point.

Agreed. I think this is what sets off the powder keg. Things at the Wall are going to be nuts.

Actually, almost everywhere is going to be crazy. So excited for this book to come out.

I think this will be catastrophic for the NW. These traitors missed their moment and killed Jon too late. I am of the belief that Jon wont be resurrected but will survive his wounds and be the only remaining Sword in the Darkness. But I also believe the Mance Rhaegar crackpot, so we'll see.... someday.....

Archived