NFL Preseason: Manziel-free edition

Kalbear

'cause he will be catching it from Teddy?

Hopefully not. Cassel looked pretty good last year when he got in and has looked excellent in the preseason (for whatever that's worth). TEs thrive under Norv. We were just discussing Gates......

Nah, man. Kellen Winslow opened up that mold of TE before Tony Gonzalez, with guys like Newsome and Sharpe coming after.

Edit: Newsome was actually a contemporary.

It seems like there weren't a lot of prolific TEs in the decade or so after Kellen Winslow. Jones and Novacek were the exceptions. The TE as offensive weapon sure seemed to become more common after Gonzalez.

I also think Gonzalez marked when teams started looking for basketball players to play TE. I'd argue that Antonio Gates might not have been recruited and developed without the Gonzalez influence.

It seems like there weren't a lot of prolific TEs in the decade or so after Kellen Winslow. Jones and Novacek were the exceptions. The TE as offensive weapon sure seemed to become more common after Gonzalez.

I also think Gonzalez marked when teams started looking for basketball players to play TE. I'd argue that Antonio Gates might not have been recruited and developed without the Gonzalez influence.

Slight nitpick here. Gonzalez was always a football player, first and foremost. Gates was a basketball player, first and foremost. It was after Gates' emergence that NFL teams really began scouting basketball players to play in the NFL. Gates probably doesn't happen as easily if there is no Gonzalez, but it's Gates that changed the game.

Hopefully not. Cassel looked pretty good last year when he got in and has looked excellent in the preseason (for whatever that's worth). TEs thrive under Norv. We were just discussing Gates......

Norv giveth and Cassel taketh away. You are hoping for Cassel to deliver? Not happening I'm afraid. This is not the 2008 Pat's team.

Your lists are absolutely correct, for last year. My point is this year the dude is going to explode.

Who's gonna make them explode? The immortal Matt Cassel or the rookie who almost fell out of the first round?

I think Cassel is a perfectly manageable player, and Bridge was clearly the best QB in his class. But let's be fucking real...

Cassel doesn't need to be the star, he just needs to get the eighth man out of the box. The Vikings have a lot of play makers, so the QB just needs to manage the game. And don't get the impression that I think the Vikings will have a good record. I just think there will be a lot of games where they can run up the score vs bad defenses. Vikings probably go 7-9 this year. It's the year after next where they will start to look like a contender (as long as Purple Jesus is still good to go).

Who's gonna make them explode? The immortal Matt Cassel or the rookie who almost fell out of the first round?

I think Cassel is a perfectly manageable player, and Bridge was clearly the best QB in his class. But let's be fucking real...

As a Vikings fan, it's important to delude myself. It's how we make it through the year.

If you were to tell me Cassel's numbers this season in 16 games were 24 TDs (running and passing), 14 interceptions and 3,600 yards, I'd say we'd have an OK shot at being the last wildcard team (barring any unforeseen injury). Anything less and I doubt we make a lot of noise.

Teddy had a bad pro day. That's what made him the 32nd pick and not a top 10, maybe top 5 pick. Before Clowney's infamous hit, Teddy was projected as the number 1 overall pick in this draft. I've watched all 6 games the three 1st rounders have played in, and Teddy looks the best overall (his first game wasn't great, but I think he got a little rattled by all the early penalties, including one that wiped out his first pass ever, which went for close to 30 yards IIRC). I really believe he could become a great QB in this league (not this year though).

I think Bridgewater could be the 3rd or 4th best QB taken in the last three drafts (Behind Luck, Kaep, and maybe RG3, if he can ever stay healthy), but I need to see what he looks like against the first teamers.

I do agree here. I think if you're going to get a QB who falls beyond the first 10 picks, you want the bias against him to be for something stupid like "too short" or "played at a small school" or "bad pro day." That certainly beats "bad work ethic" or "physically gifted but couldn't dominate in college" or "is Christian Ponder". It might or might not work out but seems like one of the better gambles to get a possible franchise player.

As for Matt Cassel, he's somewhere between the 25th and 35th best QB in football. So he's got that going for him.

As for Matt Cassel, he's somewhere between the 25th and 35th best QB in football. So he's got that going for him.

Think about all the people in the world that Matt Cassel is a better quarterback than. It's almost all of 'em!

The 2008 Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, and people took that to mean he ought to be a starting quarterback. I never understood that. If you want a quarterback that is 5 wins per year worse than Tom Brady, Matt Cassel is your man. But with Tom Brady in the same league, I have no idea why you would want that.

Think about all the people in the world that Matt Cassel is a better quarterback than. It's almost all of 'em!

The 2008 Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, and people took that to mean he ought to be a starting quarterback. I never understood that. If you want a quarterback that is 5 wins per year worse than Tom Brady, Matt Cassel is your man. But with Tom Brady in the same league, I have no idea why you would want that.

Hah, yes. I actually think that's a key point. Only thing that takes some of the luster away from an 11 win season is it with the personnel good enough to go 16-0 the season before. Matt Cassel always looks good when you put him after the Brodie Croyles and Christian Ponders of the world. But he's never a guy a fan base is excited to have start for them (though QALC may have Stockholm Syndrome on this :P). Only the Patriots coaching tree gets irrationally excited about him but he's part of what also inevitably gets them fired too.

That elicited a solid snicker. :rofl:

Christian Ponder jokes never get old. :P

I just want to say that I never endorsed or supported the drafting of Christian Fucking Ponder with the 12th pick. I felt like it was a bad idea. I saw it was a bad idea. I love to repost my dumbass friends on FB who said he would be the next superstar QB. I've also recently told them they cannot say the name Teddy Bridgewater, ever!

Fact

Fact:

Vikings are a mammal.

Fact:

Vikings flip out and kill shit.

Do vikings do other things? Yes, they do - they also sometimes stab (ask QALC if you don't believe me).

Fact:

Vikings are a mammal.

Fact:

Vikings flip out and kill shit.

Do vikings do other things? Yes, they do - they also sometimes stab (ask QALC if you don't believe me).

Fact:

Sometimes Vikings point in a menacing manner, then bugout to dubstep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnqVm-PB5W8

NO ONE DENIES THIS!

:

This seems appropriate. Note: I hate the packers.

I can easily tell you how we were favored in four Superbowls and lost four Superbowls, and had two of the greatest offenses you will ever see choked in the NFC title game. That's life, in MN.

The Vikings are probably the least talented team in their division. That having been said, they share that division with two trainwrecks always waiting to happen, so they are most likely to finish ahead of someone.

I also like the Bridgewater pick. Unlike a lot of young QBs, including a certain kuh-nucklehead in Cleveland, he has good sense and physical skills to go with his intangibles. Not only does Teddy have the intangibles, he's also got the unponderables. I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 QB in the NFL, but he could be in the upper half and with the right team that is enough.

You may have noticed I actually don't have much to say but just really, really wanted to chime in with unponderables.

Just listened to an interview of Browns president Alec Scheiner talking about different stuff.

Adjectives he used to describe the uniforms we will be wearing next year: modern, dynamic.

I think I'm going to be fucking sick.

Normally I'd say yes, but AP has shown he is a different breed. And did someone forget he won MVP and took one of the worst offenses any of us has ever seen to the playoffs the year before last?

To be fair, AP needed some help from the Bears now trademark Yearly Collapse (TM Chicago Bears 2011-2013) and the Packers basically letting the Vikings win Week 17 to keep the Bears out.

Is this a case of career-threatening injuries occurring more regularly, players more often taking the cautious and sensible response to the injury/risk, or just us hearing about this stuff more?

I'm sure the lawsuits have something to do with that as well. 30 years ago the teams would probably have had those guys back on the field within days if not hours of their injuries, and the NFL getting sued by hundreds (or is it thousands now) of those guys made them rethink things.

Seems like the Browns have learned nothing from the Jets and other teams that have crashed and burned in recent years...

The Cleveland Browns seem to have a backup plan in place for quarterback Johnny Manziel, as coach Mike Pettine hinted that the team is exploring ways to get him on the field and that a two-quarterback system "is on the table.

Archived