Female Hand of the king : prohibited by law?

voltron

Is a powerful woman can become hand of the king or the title is prohibited to women by law ? I know the title require a strong personality and respect from others, and in Westeros, women in general are perceived as weak. But for women like Cersei who hold the title of lady paramount, how difficult it would be for them to gain this title ?

I'm sure it's technically allowed but it would be nigh impossible for it to happen. As you say women are perceived as weaker and having less of a role then men outside the household therefore to appoint one as your hand, even if she is powerful, makes the king look incredibly weak.

Viserys considered Rhaenyra for Hand very seriously. The objection that deterred him (and doomed Targaryens) was that this would require her to live in King´s Landing and provoke quarrels with Alicent´s children. Not that there was any legal rule against female Hand.

If there were to be a female hand of the King/Queen, who would be worthy?

Maybe, someone like Asha Greyjoy for her Naval skills? The Queen of Thorns for her cunning political savvy? Maybe Arriane Martell because of...well stuff?

Daenerys because dragons. Margaery (if she lives) can charm the kingdom into behaving. Sansa after Littlefinger's training. And Arya who will end up with an incredibly diverse skill set by the time this is over, yet sadly will never be good at embroidery.

could be good female hands

Asha Gregory-sea knowledge

Marg-smart

Myrcella-she seem smart

Sansa- since she learning about the game

could be worst female hands

Dany-she might be a good one when she more mature

Cersei-bonkers

Selyse-bonkers

Mel-no explanation necessary

Arya-only because she a better assassin

It seems that Lady Mysaria - Misery, the White Worm - has been Mistress of Whisperer under Rhaenyra. Thus there were female council members during the early Targaryen era.

Elaena later was effectively Mistress of Coin, but not legally. Thus there was clearly a decline in regards to women and their leadership capabilities.

I guess there was never a female Hand, but the queens from Rhaenys/Visenya to Alysanne clearly had a lot of direct power (Alyssa Velaryon, too, I'd not be surprised if she ruled as Queen Regent during the first two years of Jaehaerys' reign - if she survived Maegor). Alicent and the later queens seemed to have been forced to scheme and manipulate behind the scenes.

I don't see it as that unlikely. We've seen Cersei as regent, and the Queen of Thorns is seen as more politically able than most people. There have been plenty of well-respected women in positions of power.

Cersei only gained that spot based on marriage and birth (married the King and Mother of two kings). Olenna is the same, politically able yes, but she still holds no positions and nobody would have dealt with her otherwise had she not been married to the Tyrells.

Cersei feels that she cannot name Taena Hand. That either is a sign that female councilors had grown even less popular since Elaena's time, or that she felt that woman - she, as Queen Regent - was already enough.

Viserys I clearly had the power to do whatever the hell he wanted to do. He could have made Rhaenyra Hand.

While not all Hands have been martial by nature, it is often the Hand's responsibility to organize/run the royal army and navy. While there certainly are military-minded women of Westeros, they are few and far between and aren't terribly well respected by their male peers. Having one command the entire royal army without have mass dissent would be a pretty difficult.

Rhaenyra was almost the heir, so the possibility of her becoming hand isn't that surprising. There's more of an emphasis on denying women any sort of great power after the Dance.

That being said, I think Asha Greyjoy would make a great hand, as she does have some experience leading and gaining the respect of men in military situations. It would be a fight even for her, but she's won it before and might win it again.

Lady Waynwood also seems capable. Queen of Thrones is definitely capable, but she seems more use to working through men that listen to her, rather than working directly. Also, her sharp tongue is bound to make her unpopular.

Mel would be a good Master of whisperers or councilor, but an extremely bad hand do to PR reasons. You can order her not to burn people all you want, but she is what she is, a religious zealot.

Archived