Dagger and Coin II: Spoilers through The Spider's War

Rhom

• 2 months later...

Concerning. Another two months is nothing really; hopefully it allows them to prepare and position the book to the greatest possible effect and gives Daniel Abraham more time to do his other stuff -- second season of tv show, comics, sixth Expanse novel! Busyness! I just hope it's not doing that release date freefall thing we see occasionally where the book just shuffles back every few months with no clear fate for an extended period. That'd be a bummer.

• 2 months later...
I'm excited and a bit disappointed. So many fantasy series feel like they stretch too much, this one is so tightly written I feel like there could easily be at least two more books comfortably.

I'm excited and a bit disappointed. So many fantasy series feel like they stretch too much, this one is so tightly written I feel like there could easily be at least two more books comfortably.

I can understand this sentiment. This is a sandbox that I could have played around in for quite a long time. The same can be said of his Long Price Quartet series though.

All and all, I am glad that he is so focused. I would much rather see a story told to completion. He has proven to be an author that is consistent in his creations, and I am looking forward to the next sandbox that might pique his imagination.

I'll need to see book 5 before I can make that determination.  It is hard for me to believe that there is only one book left given how many things are still going on.  But nothing has felt rushed - I actually like that Abraham isn't afraid to skip "filler" chapters, especially when characters are traveling. 

Great news! Is there a publication date? And I, for one, would welcome a fitting conclusion. In the current era of endless yarns, it is nice to have a tight, complete arc. He can always write more in the setting at a later date, if he chooses. Or create new worlds for us to enjoy.

Yep, reminds me of the early ASoIaF books.

Exactly, it was jarring for me when I did a re-read a few years ago and saw Cat leave Winterfell in one chapter and show up in King's Landing the next.

Abraham handles travel exceedingly well.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! Is there a publication date? And I, for one, would welcome a fitting conclusion. In the current era of endless yarns, it is nice to have a tight, complete arc. He can always write more in the setting at a later date, if he chooses. Or create new worlds for us to enjoy.

March 8, 2016.

• 4 months later...

only half way through Widow's house but I'm glad i finally got around to it. The drunk dragon has to be one of the funniest scenes Abraham has done in my opinion and will go down as one of my favourite scenes with a dragon. Despite the darkness in the story, the humour is really shining in this addition. I do find the majority of people's behaviour around Inys very unsettling though - nice work Mr Abraham.

Thanks for bumping this up. I think a reread is in order. I've never done a full reread as they came out so quickly. Love this series.

Probably a good time to do so as I think the final part is out in March?

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Triskan said:

Just got all caught up.  Was just OK with book 1 in the series but felt like it took a turn for the better in book 2 and has stayed really good.

-Kit's interaction with the rogue priests was amazing.  It reminded me of the door guards in Labyrinth where one always tells the truth and one always lies

Have we been told explicitly why the whole series is called what it is, or is it just implied?  

It may be implied, but I thought it was pretty clear that the two ways to take over the world are with either force or money. :dunno: 

Archived