The "gay look"

A girl told me the other day my V-neck Tshirt was gay fashion

That's just rube.

When I was a young child I wasn't too keen on wearing dresses, skirts, or anything that gave away that I had a body of any form...... which I didn't give two shits about.

Though when I used to go on my runs back in June, of last year I used to wear a tshirt and really loose fitted sweatpants (soooooo comfortable)

Anyway, long story short, I found out from a friend that a neighbor thought I was some hood rat who was reeking havoc and fleeing the scenes.

Next day someone's car came up missing and that same neighbor gave the police my description.

So no LITA, I don't think there is anything wrong with your perception, people are just obtuse. Some don't take the time to think about what they are saying, and they get stuck in their ways, limiting themselves by prejudice thoughts, IMHO

See Natalie Dormer's haircut for Mockingjay...so gorgeous and so gets my hopes up :P

That's a queer haircut? I thought it was just a sort of punk look... Looks amazing on her, although I'd probably cry if anyone tried to do it to me. What are the other queer haircuts?

At one point during the argument, I came up with an analogy I thought would make the point well:

"If a gay bar and a night club are right next to each other and a man in a suit is recorded and freeze framed standing in front of them, which one is he going to enter?"

The friend said you can't call it because it's 50/50. But when asked the same question with said man having an effeminate look, he said it'd be stupid to assume anything other than he's going into the gay bar. So, there is no straight look, according to that. But gays are distinguishable from the rest of the pack. I don't understand people sometimes.

In fairness, I suppose, the friend isn't even capable of distinguishing the word effeminate from the word homosexual. In his words, "effeminate is a nice way of saying he's gay"

I think this attitude is pretty ignorant. I really hate it when people label others, based on absolutely nothing.

That said, one of my good friends is gay, and he is a fantastic dresser. So if the "gay look" means being able to dress yourself so you look amazing, I'm all for it.

isn't the stereotype more about meticulous grooming and impeccable taste than anything else?

These are my favorite two posts. What little I know of being fancy, I learned from my bestest queer friend.

In fairness, I suppose, the friend isn't even capable of distinguishing the word effeminate from the word homosexual. In his words, "effeminate is a nice way of saying he's gay"

To be fair I usually base my assumptions on whether a man is gay on how effeminate he is, more mannerisms than appearance though. It's not always true of course, I know a few gay guys it definitely doesn't apply to and one of my friends from school is a very camp straight guy but as a rule of thumb it seems to be right more often than it's wrong.

At one point during the argument, I came up with an analogy I thought would make the point well:

"If a gay bar and a night club are right next to each other and a man in a suit is recorded and freeze framed standing in front of them, which one is he going to enter?"

The friend said you can't call it because it's 50/50. But when asked the same question with said man having an effeminate look, he said it'd be stupid to assume anything other than he's going into the gay bar. So, there is no straight look, according to that. But gays are distinguishable from the rest of the pack. I don't understand people sometimes.

He didn't even get the first one right. If we take a general population distribution it should be more like 5/95 going for the gay bar resp. night club.

When it comes to "gay look" I find that clothes are of little importance and that mannerisms of a person are more important factors on my very poor gaydar.

I must admit that I'm likely to think men with effeminate mannerisms are gay.

I thought this thread was going to be about facial features that can potentially identify gay men.

I seem to recall some study where people were able to identify gay individuals on random photographs of the face only, beyond a statistical level of pure chance.

Not sure if any firm conclusions were drawn from it, or whether they were able to rule out all other explanations than the facial features alone.

Also, don't ask me to link the study, as I have only a vague recollection of reading about it.

Maybe someone else is more familiar with it.

That's a queer haircut? I thought it was just a sort of punk look... Looks amazing on her, although I'd probably cry if anyone tried to do it to me. What are the other queer haircuts?

It's kinda hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. A lot of them tend to be shorter cuts, but there are some longer ones with stuff like the severe shaved side like mentioned above. It's not too distinct from punky, it's probably more accurate to call it alternative but it goes with queer an awful lot. And is becoming more popular outside that :p

I thought this thread was going to be about facial features that can potentially identify gay men.

I seem to recall some study where people were able to identify gay individuals on random photographs of the face only, beyond a statistical level of pure chance.

Not sure if any firm conclusions were drawn from it, or whether they were able to rule out all other explanations than the facial features alone.

Also, don't ask me to link the study, as I have only a vague recollection of reading about it.

The only one I can recollect about could be Lombroso.

If not that one, then surely a dangerous person with dangerous theories..

when it comes to certain arguments I feel we are still in XIX century..

I have a lot of gay friends who are very different one from the other, like my non-gay friend.

Honestly when I think about any of them their sexual orientation or religion is the least thing I think about...

talking of bias I am usually more biased against people with ertain politic ideas, really never about race, religion etc etc

a gay look has a certain meaning related to effemination etc, IMO it does not have any link with reality though

I know of Lombroso's idea that a criminal could be identified due to his facial features, but nothing about gay people. Seeing as Lombroso was full of shit, I'm guessing any recreation of his studies would be full of shit too.

I think the notion that you can tell what someone sexual preference is by their clothing or style is a fairly ignorant idea. I wouldn't say there is such a thing as a definitive 'gay look' - for men or women.

The rise of so called metrosexuality (straight men that moisturise/wax/ etc) has gone a long way towards disproving this. Or it should have.

Guess some of us have a long way to go.

Yeah. I try to be tolerant of said friend because I know where it's coming from and I've seen him make progress in terms of thinking for himself and shedding old religious provocations. He's not a guy who thinks homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to marry or anything like that. Just a guy with a lot of ingrained biases because of where we grew up.

Archived