When does Roose Bolton buy the Brave Companions?

1990eam

Hello forum. Yesterday I went through chapter 47 (Arya IX) (one of the best chapters in the book so far in my opinion) and I didn't quite understand what was going on after Arya frees the northmen (just like she didn't understand when Jaqen asks her :P).

I knew they were freeing the northmen like Arya had planned but I was not aware that the Brave Companions had already agreed with Roose Bolton to betray Tywin.

Did I miss this meeting between Vargo and Roose in a previous chapter when they arrange that or is it explained further into the book?

I don't think there was a specific meeting between the two. When Arya releases the northerners with the help of Zacken, the men of Ser Amory are overthrown by them, but Glover speaks of Vargo as if the Brave Companions cooperated with Bolton in the first place. My guess is that Vargo just follows the stronger lord at the time,and as he saw that 100 and more northerners were free he understood that it would be wisest to help them rather than the lannisters

It was a ploy ;)

Roose made a deal (off-page) with Vargo. The Brave Companions pretended to take a group of Bolton's men prisoner, and that group would then seize the castle, seeing as there was only a small Lannister garrison left at Harrenhal. The Bolton men and Brave Companions in the castle were then supposed to open the gates to the rest of Roose's men. Arya's plan works into this, unknowingly.

Rhaenys_Targaryen Explained it perfectly. But Arya (weasel) not knowing there even was a ploy, helps Boltons plans go through by freeing the Northmen. I too had wished they explained it better but evidently, the Northmen were going to be freed anyways.

• 2 months later...

But if they were to be freed anyway, it was a really stupid idea to rely on Arya to get the soup thing prepared. Wouldn't Hoat himself ask for the thing to be prepared, seeing as how important it was in the ploy?

Yeah this part is a bit of a problem. It can be explained this way: Hoat hadn't completely figured out a way to betray the Lannisters ( who still had a substantial garrison ) and was looking for an opportunity - Arya and Jaquen just played right into this with the weasel soup.

A lot of people think that Arya 'wasted' the last wish- I really disagree.

But if they were to be freed anyway, it was a really stupid idea to rely on Arya to get the soup thing prepared. Wouldn't Hoat himself ask for the thing to be prepared, seeing as how important it was in the ploy?

Arya wasn't aware of Hoats plan to betray the Lannisters. And Hoat wasn't aware of Arya's plan.

Had Arya not acted, it would probably have taken a few more days before Harrenhal had fallen.

• 3 weeks later...

Arya wasn't aware of Hoats plan to betray the Lannisters. And Hoat wasn't aware of Arya's plan.

Had Arya not acted, it would probably have taken a few more days before Harrenhal had fallen.

I see the logic in that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reading that part get's really confusing because

1. There is a lot happening in that particular chapter.

2. It follows the chapter where we are led to believe that Bran and Rickon are killed which was a massive emotional low.

Archived