Video Games: Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh Edition

Inigima

Ok, I'm done with this thread. Clearly people are choosing to be immature and act like children. I'm leaving to continue my life of not helping anyone, seemingly.

Oh and for the people that made comments on my username; it's a clear reference (clear to anyone that's actually read ASoIaF) to the scene with Jaime when a woman runs around with a stolen crown on her head and declares herself "the queen of whores". How that indicates sexist views I'll never know.

I'm leaving to continue my life of not helping anyone, seemingly.
It does certainly seem more likely, yes.

Oh and for the people that made comments on my username; it's a clear reference (clear to anyone that's actually read ASoIaF) to the scene with Jaime when a woman runs around with a stolen crown on her head and declares herself "the queen of whores". How that indicates sexist views I'll never know.
Why would you - as a man - want to reference that specifically? Why also give yourself the title "Pimp of all sultry dornish ladies"? Can you possibly, just maybe, see that this is might not indicate particularly female-friendly viewpoints?

Also note that the prostitute that was with Ryman Frey in the Riverrun camps did not proclaim herself to be the queen of whores; that was Ryman who did it. I'd recommend knowing the reference really well if you're going to use it as your username.

It does certainly seem more likely, yes.

Why would you - as a man - want to reference that specifically? Why also give yourself the title "Pimp of all sultry dornish ladies"? Can you possibly, just maybe, see that this is might not indicate particularly female-friendly viewpoints?

Also note that the prostitute that was with Ryman Frey in the Riverrun camps did not proclaim herself to be the queen of whores; that was Ryman who did it. I'd recommend knowing the reference really well if you're going to use it as your username.

DAAAAAAMMMMNNNN!

Kalbear! Kalbear! Kalbear!

:bowdown:

But really, why these people don't just take this shit to Reddit where it belongs, I have no idea.

Um, I agree with you, but that's incorrect.

"I'm the Queen of Whores!"

"No, my sister holds that title as well."

Or something along those lines. :leaving:

In other news, this meta article does a really good job of going through what's being called as #gamergate and does so in a reasonably even-keeled way. It's remarkable to me how bad the gaming community reacted on either side of this; hacking TFYC site is as immature and wrong as much of the stuff done against Zoe Quinn (though clearly not the actual stalking or death threats).

My wife talked to me about this a lot over the last couple of days too, and one thing in particular that she said really has continued to strike me - which is that the oppression of women in gaming (and in other online communities) works. It's just often too damn hard to fight back against it. If you do you're labeled as humorless or mocked or slandered. Or worse - you're stalked and sent threats. Almost never are you actually listened to. If you want to actually play the game it's often easier to just not say anything. Make sure no one thinks that you're a woman. Make sure everyone knows very clearly that you have a husband/boyfriend/whatever. Because if you don't - if you speak your mind or tell people that sucked or whatever - it's a shitstorm. That's really depressing - but seeing what's happened with Sarkeesian and Quinn, seeing some of what my friends regularly deal with - it rings really true.

She also said that men speaking up is both good and bad - bad because it's all of a sudden the big strong men white knighting for the women who aren't willing to speak their mind, but good because quite often men like that won't actually listen to women and will only listen when it's their peers.

What are you talking about? Kalbear's been the main instigator in all of this shit :lol:

As someone who just put his eyeballs in a jar of ethanol for preservation after reading last pages of the closed thread, I can tell you that no, he really hasn't, and yes, you should really go chum it out with your manly, manly bros over at Reddit.

I feel so old

why is my everything full of children

get off my lawn

I am spending my days now surrounded by people ten years younger than me, learning about how media technology/structures/portrayals affect society, about how those who claim to be unaffected by media tend to be those most affected by it

and then at home I barely have any time to get into my gaming backlog, better just read about what's going on OH GOD

I've been spending my limited gaming time on Hearthstone, lately, which I feel vaguely guilty about. Held out a long time, but finally gave in a couple weeks ago. The forced gender self-representation really bothers me but it's just too addicting. Getting around the unsocial aspect of it by streaming my games for my friends, usually resulting in a bunch of people telling me what I did wrong.

"I'm the Queen of Whores!"

"No, my sister holds that title as well."

The direct quotes are from AFFC page 570:

"Lady? I'm no lady. I'm the queen"

"My sister will be surprised to hear that."

"Lord Ryman crowned me his very self." She gave a shake of her ample hips. "I'm the queen o' whores".

No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

In other news, this meta article does a really good job of going through what's being called as #gamergate and does so in a reasonably even-keeled way. It's remarkable to me how bad the gaming community reacted on either side of this; hacking TFYC site is as immature and wrong as much of the stuff done against Zoe Quinn (though clearly not the actual stalking or death threats).

My wife talked to me about this a lot over the last couple of days too, and one thing in particular that she said really has continued to strike me - which is that the oppression of women in gaming (and in other online communities) works. It's just often too damn hard to fight back against it. If you do you're labeled as humorless or mocked or slandered. Or worse - you're stalked and sent threats. Almost never are you actually listened to. If you want to actually play the game it's often easier to just not say anything. Make sure no one thinks that you're a woman. Make sure everyone knows very clearly that you have a husband/boyfriend/whatever. Because if you don't - if you speak your mind or tell people that sucked or whatever - it's a shitstorm. That's really depressing - but seeing what's happened with Sarkeesian and Quinn, seeing some of what my friends regularly deal with - it rings really true.

She also said that men speaking up is both good and bad - bad because it's all of a sudden the big strong men white knighting for the women who aren't willing to speak their mind, but good because quite often men like that won't actually listen to women and will only listen when it's their peers.

It is for this very reason that I have been observing this thread and keeping my mouth closed. I strongly feel that people like Eyenon, Queen of Whores, and cold Crashing Waves need to be confronted with the misogynistic ideas that they obviously hold, yet i have no faith that they will listen. The reason I am breaking silence right now is to let you guys know that i stand with you.

The direct quotes are from AFFC page 570:

"Lady? I'm no lady. I'm the queen"

"My sister will be surprised to hear that."

"Lord Ryman crowned me his very self." She gave a shake of her ample hips. "I'm the queen o' whores".

No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

:) OK then fair enough. I'm not going to involve myself further.

I've finished the main quest of Fallout 3 with Broken Steel installed. Bit peeved at Ron Perlman for calling me an arsehole for telling Fawkes to activate the purifier. I mean, for heaven's sake Fawkes did pretty much the exact same job for me a few hours earlier by retrieving the GECK. :dunno:

So you guys getting Destiny? Still undecided :dunno:

Just saw an advert for it, looks really neat. It's times like this I really realise I should probably save up and buy a nice gaming PC instead of my terrible (literally falling apart) laptop. Really missing playing Fallout: New Vegas atm.

Archived