Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

Our discussion left off with the bombshell that WB has left instructions there is to be no humor in the DC film universe. Hand wringing ensued.

Now on the heels of the success of Arrow and the promising looking Flash TV show, comes news that Supergirl is in the works, do we need a separate thread for the DC TV universe?!!?

It really feels like DC is missing a real opportunity by clearly separating the TV and movieverses. I hate to keep bringing it back to Marvel, but the comparisons are just too easy. Marvel has (somewhat) successfully spun off a network TV show and will be launching a series of Netflix shows that look like they could be really good. Meanwhile, DC has a decent show running on the WB network and they are doing everything they can to isolate it without even the hint that it could be tied together. They are even casting a different Flash for the movies than their soon to launch TV show. What ever happened to synergy as a corporate concept?!!? Want to do a Justice League with big name stars? Go for it! But it'd be fine to relegate some of the lesser members of the JL to the TV side of things and just have mentions of the bigger world.

I just don't see how you can continually mess up with these characters.

Agents of SHIELD and Arrow are comparable. As bad as SHIELD started -- when compared to Arrow -- SHIELD ended on a high note, while Arrow crashed at the finish line. I feel like SHIELD is getting a bad rap based on a bad first impression, while Arrow continues to live off its promising beginnings. If anything, SHIELD should have the better prospects at this point, considering it left us on the climb. I'm nervous over the clusterfuck which was the end of Arrow season 2.

I also disagree on combining the DC film and TV divisions. Keep the TV-verse as far away from the filmverse as possible. SHIELD can get away with existing in the combined Marvel U. There are no integral characters on SHIELD -- most of them didn't even exist in the comics until the show happened. All are human or semi-human.

Marvel heroes exist in a tiered system. Premiere heroes exist in the movies. Scrubs exist on TV. Middle ground characters exist on Netflix, the happy medium between the two. They all orbit one another, seamlessly.

You can't have Flash on the CW -- I reiterate, the CW -- and, have him be the filmverse Flash as well. He's too major of a character. If the show ever flops, then DC has to deal with the repercussions on the filmverse. If SHIELD flops, ABC can cancel it and Marvel can pretend it never happened...the characters aren't integral to the Avengers. I feel like this is being lost in the argument. SHIELD is a worthwhile experiment, not a risk. If Flash flops, everyone goes to watch the Justice League movie, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, The Rock, and the random dude from Glee, who was on that CW show which had to be cancelled because it turned out to be ass.

I am not saying that would happen -- it's just the rationale for keeping the two franchises separate.

Also, Arrow is already Batman. He'd be redundant.

Also, Arrow is already Batman. He'd be redundant.

To be fair, while this criticism is often aimed at Green Arrow in and out of universe, it's not really true beyond 'millionaire uses money to dress up and fight crime' - maybe originally, but for a long, long time now has had this more socially relevant slant going on whereas Batman,

If you did get Arrow into the main DCMU you could easily make that contrast and have them play off each other.

Agents of SHIELD and Arrow are comparable. As bad as SHIELD started -- when compared to Arrow -- SHIELD ended on a high note, while Arrow crashed at the finish line. I feel like SHIELD is getting a bad rap based on a bad first impression, while Arrow continues to live off its promising beginnings. If anything, SHIELD should have the better prospects at this point, considering it left us on the climb. I'm nervous over the clusterfuck which was the end of Arrow season 2.

Arrow's quality has fluctuated. It started out rather weak, got stronger until reaching a high point during the first half of season two, took quite a tumble from there and recovered somewhat for the season two finale.

It does have more likeable characters than SHIELD though, and has consistently delivered great action sequences on what has to be a much smaller budget (that even got cut significantly for the second season).

To be fair, while this criticism is often aimed at Green Arrow in and out of universe, it's not really true beyond 'millionaire uses money to dress up and fight crime' - maybe originally, but for a long, long time now has had this more socially relevant slant going on whereas Batman,

If you did get Arrow into the main DCMU you could easily make that contrast and have them play off each other.

The CW show is clearly very inspired by the Nolan movies and plays up the Batman parallels a lot, though. Doesn't mean you couldn't have both without either being redundant, but I think it's fair to point out the similarities (and it doesn't even have to be meant as criticism).

Wow. That's very... 90's comics. Which I guess works with the source material, and I'm sure lots of fanboys will drool over it, but it just looks ridiculous to me.

But a guy in a Bat costume fighting an alien is not?

Not sure its very stealth. But it does stay in line with Batman's no guns policy, unless they are massive and mounted onto his car/plane/boat/bike.

I like it. In the context they're apparently going for to fit with the tone of the Superman, which is to have a Batman midway between the TDK version and a more out-there, The Dark Knight Returns version, it's pretty much bang on the money (apart from the guns, which do seem a little bit obvious even though he's had guns on his cars before).

Any disappointment comes from the whole direction of the universe, as I'd have preferred them to go a less-tethered-to-reality route so Superman would have been more All-Star Superman and Batman would likewise have been more influenced by the likes of Grant Morrison's run or The Killing Joke (and adopted a tone more akin to the Hannibal TV show or been directed by Park Chan-wook). But I'm fine with what we are getting for the most part and in that setting, I think this is a proper Batmobile.

I like it. Seems like a nice homage to all the Batmobiles while still keeping fans of the most recent/popular (it's not my favourite) Nolan version.

I've always felt you can't *quite* reduce Gotham to Urban Decayopolis: It needs it's Art Deco or faux-gothic scyscrapes and improbable gargoyles as well.

Which is why the animated series is still the best incarnation of Batman anywhere. It's my favourite Batmobile too. That said, I really liked what they did with the Gotham in Batman Beyond as well.

I like it. Seems like a nice homage to all the Batmobiles while still keeping fans of the most recent/popular (it's not my favourite) Nolan version.

Which is why the animated series is still the best incarnation of Batman anywhere. It's my favourite Batmobile too. That said, I really liked what they did with the Gotham in Batman Beyond as well.

I don't think they will ever top the animated series for many reasons. What really got me was how spot on their casting was.I can't hear any other voice as Batman or the Joker anymore.

I don't think they will ever top the animated series for many reasons. What really got me was how spot on their casting was.I can't hear any other voice as Batman or the Joker anymore.

It was as close to perfection as we'll get. I'd love to see someone top it. I think it also did a great job at defining a lot of the villains - many of them had iffy/convoluted origins in the comics back then but they seemed to cherry pick or distill the origins that the comics and films tend to use even now, Take the tragic take on Dr Freeze.

I'm curious. Why is that horrible to you?

What's with all of the sharp angles? When he's not cruising around Gotham, does he use it to create extra tunnels and expand the Bat-Cave? It looks like Rob Liefeld's wet dream version of the Bat-Mobile, all it's missing is a giant set of boobs.

It was as close to perfection as we'll get. I'd love to see someone top it. I think it also did a great job at defining a lot of the villains - many of them had iffy/convoluted origins in the comics back then but they seemed to cherry pick or distill the origins that the comics and films tend to use even now, Take the tragic take on Dr Freeze.

Yeah, it won't be. At this point I am just waiting for an eccentric billionaire to pay Kevin Conroy to dub all of the live action Batman films.

Archived