- Catwoman.

- Punisher: War Zone.

- Amazing Spiderman 2.

- Both Fantastic 4s

- Constantine

- Both Ghost Riders

- X-Men 3

- Wolverine: Origins

Man of Steel was worse than all of them.

Superman is more iconic than any of them and had Chris Nolan on board, and thus Man of Steel had no right to be as bad as it was and by being so was such a huge disappointment it makes it worse than just movies being bad like Jonah Hex or Green Lantern.

Fixed that for you.

I'm tired of people complaining about humor in these movies. If you don't like the dark tones, don't watch.

And I'm not planning to watch it; I didn't watch Man of Steel either. Because superheroes are inherently silly to some degree, and trying to excise all that silliness just makes everything dull. It doesn't need to be slapsticky like Guardians of the Galaxy, but at least a little self-aware of its own nature and able to make a few jokes would be nice, a la Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Superman is more iconic than any of them and had Chris Nolan on board, and thus considering the mess he made of Dark Knight Rises and his fondness for jittercam it's a welcome surprise that Man of Steel was as together plot-wise as it was and had action scenes where you could actually see what was going on.

Fixed that for you.

So much butthurt in one thread...

Please don't do that.

The Dark Knight Rises wasn't that bad. It certainly wasn't on the level of Nolan's best, but I don't think it can really be used to impugn his work as a director. He's still the man who brought us The Prestige, Memento, and The Dark Knight. And I certainly don't think it was as bad as Man of Steel.

I don't think TDKR on its own is enough to impugn Nolan's work as a director, but Inception was a bit of a mess too (and Interstellar had its flaws, although it was better). In general he seems to work better when he's co-writing with Jonathan, which didn't happen on either TDKR or Inception.

Nolan's still obviously a better director than Snyder, but in my opinion MoS was miles better than TDKR.

The Dark Knight Rises wasn't that bad. It certainly wasn't on the level of Nolan's best, but I don't think it can really be used to impugn his work as a director. He's still the man who brought us The Prestige, Memento, and The Dark Knight. And I certainly don't think it was as bad as Man of Steel.

Nolan never wanted to do a third Batman film, and it really shows in the laziness of The Dark Knight Rises. At one point Bane and his goons rob the stock market in broad daylight, which is stupid and lazy story telling enough as it is seeing as how that is impossible, but the most egregious error comes afterwards when the ensuing chase scene inexplicably takes place in the middle of the night.

Nolan continuing to let Bale do that moronic voice.

Fixing a broken back by punching it.

Blake figuring out who Batman is because orphan.

Magic knee brace that gives Bruce's leg super-strength to kick through concrete walls, yet never uses it to kick Bane's face off.

Illegal stock market trades that were forcibly made at gunpoint are somehow allowed to stand.

Bruce entrusting his entire legacy to a stranger he met a few weeks ago because she let him make sex with her.

Not the worst superhero movie ever, but easily the fucking dumbest. Feet-up filmmaking at its finest.

but the most egregious error comes afterwards when the ensuing chase scene inexplicably takes place in the middle of the night.

To be fair, that's kind of a deliberate error that a lot of films do (X3 did a day/night switch between cuts, ffs), on account of not wanting to film during twilight/sunset (I assume it's difficult to get the lighting right). One of the things I really loved about Man of Steel was exactly that.

Archived